Formula 1 Talk

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
One has to think that maybe RB has put more funds into the 2026 car development than others and that might explain why the other teams are getting closer. Which would make sense because what's the point in winning every race by 20 seconds if it means at the next big regulation change you're behind the eight ball due to keeping that gap so large. So they likely are okay giving up a bit of time on track if it means they'll sustain their top status beyond 2025. But it certainly is a hard thing to manage because they have no input or knowledge of how much the teams are advancing the current cars for the current season, so I feel they are caught a bit off guard with McLaren catching up so fast this season. One would expect RB will have more upgrades ahead that will secure the titles for both driver (Max) and constructors.
As much as I love Lando & Oscar, I want to see Max do it again! That makes sense. Thus making me appreciate Max even more, the spread between him and Checo.

The other big thing with this season is just how poorly Mercedes and Aston Martin have been. Both seem to be in no mans land and almost resigned to being 4th and 5th in constructors. Don't be shocked if both write off this season and possibly next in order to be more competitive in 2026.
Insane right! Iā€™m still rooting for Alonzo to comeback from this mess. Maybe heā€™ll have a better chance if Lance doesnā€™t crash into him (or others).

Then we have Ferrari, which seem to be doing a much better job with strategy and reliability so far this season. Makes you hopeful that next season adding Lewis might bring them into being contenders again. Would certainly make for more exciting races with the Prancing Horse consistently winning.
Will be interesting as hell. Charles is back to himself it seems. And Carlosā€™ magic dust is wearing off. Still wonder where the Spaniard going to land.

Monaco is by far the worst race of the season. It was fine back when the cars were about half the size they are now, but with how wide and long these cars are it's extremely hard to pass on this track. I get there is a lot of history, and drivers love it, not to mention the ultra wealthy who attend this event, but the product on the track should be the main focus, and unfortunately it just hasn't been the best spot for good racing in awhile. That being said, last seasons race with the rain making an appearance at least gave some much needed entertainment and unpredictability, so fingers crossed rain is in the forecast for the race again this year.
It canā€™t be worse than those American tracks, some say šŸ˜ Yeah, time to put Monaco away in the history books, use it for Sprint only, a testing track, somethingā€¦.

McLaren is the real deal. I'm so excited to see them take it to RB, though I've been a Max fan for 8 years šŸ˜‚ Norris and Piastri are top tier. As most know, Redbull hardly gets any dev / wind tunnel time compared to others, so itā€™s no surprise to see the catch-up.
I donā€™t know much about how the regs break down who gets what, for winning or not. I thought cap cost kept everything equal. Other than two high paid individuals? Something like thatā€¦
Sponsored

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the Vegas track, it's a bit too simplistic and I think it's idiotic when they chose to run that race. Vegas can be nice in November, but there are certainly nicer days right after their race in Texas and before heading south to Mexico and Brazil. Regardless it's miles ahead of Monaco, which is no fault to Monaco, it's just an old city and they are limited in their ability to widen the track to accommodate the much larger F1 cars. I'm sure it's fine for the F3/F2 cars as those are much smaller.

So what Colonel was referring to is the wind tunnel times, basically the way it works is after each season, teams get wind tunnel times dictated to them by the FIA based on how their team finished in the constructor standings. So first place gets the least and last place gets the most. And when I say "wind tunnel" I don't mean all wind tunnel, it's very specific the type and it's the most useful type for predicting on track performance. With how powerful computers are nowadays I tend to think it's less of an advantage or disadvantage as in the past, but that's not to say it doesn't help balance the scales a bit. We are talking fractions of a second and it doesn't take much to make huge differences on the track.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Am I the only one who feels Sky Sports (or ESPN) is showing coverage in fast forward? Are they trying to make it look faster than it is on purpose?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Am I the only one who feels Sky Sports (or ESPN) is showing coverage in fast forward? Are they trying to make it look faster than it is on purpose?
Iā€™ve noticed that too. They are cookin it through those streetsā€¦ When zoomed in or perhaps not zoomed out?!?

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Not sure why, but after watching the McLarens I wanted to smoke a Camel cigarette.

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Thatā€™s a good idea,

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I hope Lewis isnā€™t expecting better strategy decisions by moving to Ferrari. If so, he hasnā€™t been paying attention much the past few years.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Congrats to Charles, but that was the most boring parade in probably a decade. Magnusson being his usual self took all the strategy out of it. Was hoping for a bit of action when Max caught up to Russell but these cars are just too big. You can't do anything.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Congrats to Charles, but that was the most boring parade in probably a decade. Magnusson being his usual self took all the strategy out of it. Was hoping for a bit of action when Max caught up to Russell but these cars are just too big. You can't do anything.
Yeah time to add Monaco to the history books of F1 tracks. As far as the mega crash, it really looked like Checo had some room to move as well. Question being: would Carlos have done better than Checo in the same position. Iā€™m starting to think, oh hell yus! RB should grab him while they still can.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Yeah time to add Monaco to the history books of F1 tracks. As far as the mega crash, it really looked like Checo had some room to move as well. Question being: would Carlos have done better than Checo in the same position. Iā€™m starting to think, oh hell yus! RB should grab him while they still can.
I actually think maybe they should consider Yuki for that job. He has done a very good job over the past two seasons and seems to be making less mistakes. Promote from within.

Carlos should go to Mercedes, he would be a good fit next to George and fight for being the number one driver. Otherwise he should just sign with Audi and hope they can turn it around for the 2026 rules change.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Monaco is such a bad track for these cars, as highlighted in yesterdays race. If F1 insists on having this as part of the calendar they MUST make some changes to the format. When considering the qualifying is the more exciting part of the weekend, maybe they should consider doing some form of extended "qualifying" style time attack.

Have the normal practice sessions, but make one day full time attack. Each team gets a time slot where no other drivers are on the track, they get 15 minutes as a team each, their 3 best times for each kind of tire will be averaged out and will determine the results for the weekend. Fastest time still gets a point.

That would make it more exciting to watch, see the strategy for each team, how they use the 15 minutes, who gets more runs, and timing. The major issue with this is two fold, changing weather conditions impacting the track, and track evolution.