Rear Parking Sensor Seating/Replacement

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
I noticed while drying my car today after a wash that one of the rear parking sensors, specifically the passenger one in the black plastic of the rear bumper seems to have been knocked out of it's mounting point.

I think the sensor itself is fine as the car isn't throwing any errors and the rear sensor is otherwise still detecting fine, it's almost like it just needs to be clipped back in to place/reseated.

I was going to have the dealer look at it/fix it at my next service, but I was just curious as to how exactly the sensor is mounted there? I couldn't find much online. Is it just clipped directly in to the bumper, or is there a bracket or something holding it in place? Does the whole rear bumper need to come off to get to it? It seems that way as there's all the exhaust heat shielding underneath and no way to reach it from there it looks like.

Would appreciate any insight/info if anyone else has had a similar issue, or maybe even if you've just been in that area by taking the bumper off in the past.
Sponsored

V8KillaMKV

First Name
Jas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra premium 3.0 2023
It shouldn't have been knocked out its place better you take it to dealership and them fix it. That why it stays under warranty. Incase you have problems pop up.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I noticed while drying my car today after a wash that one of the rear parking sensors, specifically the passenger one in the black plastic of the rear bumper seems to have been knocked out of it's mounting point.

I think the sensor itself is fine as the car isn't throwing any errors and the rear sensor is otherwise still detecting fine, it's almost like it just needs to be clipped back in to place/reseated.

I was going to have the dealer look at it/fix it at my next service, but I was just curious as to how exactly the sensor is mounted there? I couldn't find much online. Is it just clipped directly in to the bumper, or is there a bracket or something holding it in place? Does the whole rear bumper need to come off to get to it? It seems that way as there's all the exhaust heat shielding underneath and no way to reach it from there it looks like.

Would appreciate any insight/info if anyone else has had a similar issue, or maybe even if you've just been in that area by taking the bumper off in the past.
Now I have an AWE exhaust so I was able to BUT, I believe you may be able remove the heat shielding without having to remove the exhaust at all. Iā€™m not 100% sure if you can with every exhaust but I was able to with a little maneuvering. Getting the shielding out allows you to reach/remove/replace the reverse light module so Iā€™m thinking it would also give you access to the sensors.

Opinion, itā€™s definitely worth trying before letting a dealership mess with it. I can guarantee theyā€™ll remove the bumper and I wouldnā€™t trust them to remove a license plate. If you canā€™t remove the shielding completely you may be able to get it out of the way enough.

OP
OP
NicKnack

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My service isn't for another week and a bit so, maybe if the rain lets up I'll try and see if I can remove the heat shielding to get at it. OEM exhaust has a big 'ol muffler compared to AWE so if there's bolts/nuts above it I'm not sure if I'd be able to get those, or even be able to maneuver a panel around the exhaust.

But, should be quick enough to look so I'll jack the car up and see if it's feasible

Yellowbeard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra a90

Hi there the sensor fits/clips in from behind into a holder (the bulging part) which is attached by body tape, you can push it in from underneath by removing back part of exhaust and hest shield I have the Toyota manual/illustrations if you would like them

OP
OP
NicKnack

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi there the sensor fits/clips in from behind into a holder (the bulging part) which is attached by body tape, you can push it in from underneath by removing back part of exhaust and hest shield I have the Toyota manual/illustrations if you would like them
I'd appreciate that if you wouldn't mind!

I think one of the main differences however is my car is a North American version and our exhausts are all one piece from the downpipe back, as opposed to the Euro models as you guys have the OPF filters on yours, so I actually can't take off just the rear section of my exhaust without cutting it.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I wouldn't rule out the dealership tech. My closest dealership Supra tech replaced a differential axel seal that had a slow leak. It was his first time doing this repair on a GR Supra, yet he did an excellent job.
It is NOT a quick 30-minute job, according to the owner of a BMW service shop I spoke with.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I wouldn't rule out the dealership tech. My closest dealership Supra tech replaced a differential axel seal that had a slow leak. It was his first time doing this repair on a GR Supra, yet he did an excellent job.
It is NOT a quick 30-minute job, according to the owner of a BMW service shop I spoke with.
LMAO. Supra tech and it was his first time doing it? lol. How long did the dealership take again? How long did they have your car and did nothing? I have to hand it to you, you just keep doubling down.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
LMAO. Supra tech and it was his first time doing it? lol. How long did the dealership take again? How long did they have your car and did nothing? I have to hand it to you, you just keep doubling down.
The dealership that replaced the seal kept my car for one day. They had an Uber driver pick me up within 15 minutes and take me home. The service advisor made sure not to have my car washed, since he, himself has a car with PPF.

DEupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 3.0 MT, '23 BRZ, '06 RX-8
The dealership that replaced the seal kept my car for one day. They had an Uber driver pick me up within 15 minutes and take me home. The service advisor made sure not to have my car washed, since he, himself has a car with PPF.
Scenes of @concept replying to a banned @razorlab.
From left to right: Moderators, @razorlab, @concept

giphy.gif