Second Key - Houston area

rdmaha

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
98 Lexus GS300, 00 Supra 3.0 Premium
I wanted to share my experience with getting a second key in the event you need one too. I only received one key with my car. I called most dealerships in the Houston area and I was being quoted $750 just for the key and possibly an additional $250 to program the key. I called Classic Toyota Galveston and they quoted $250 for a key. I ended up going with Classic Toyota. The key arrived in about 3 weeks. I was able to program the key myself following the BMW key programming process (use programmed key to unlock the car, then have someone take the programmed key far away, then hold the unprogrammed key to the right side of the column where the key sign its, press the start button 3 times and the car will fire up. The key is now programmed.) I did have to show proof of car ownership in person before I was able to place the order for the key. Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored

Lik

First Name
Wayden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra 3.0P, 19 370ZR, 23 Model 3, 99 GS-T
Thank you for this. I ordered a key at Katy Toyota for 270 and have been waiting for a month.

joeyliv

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
I wanted to share my experience with getting a second key in the event you need one too. I only received one key with my car. I called most dealerships in the Houston area and I was being quoted $750 just for the key and possibly an additional $250 to program the key. I called Classic Toyota Galveston and they quoted $250 for a key. I ended up going with Classic Toyota. The key arrived in about 3 weeks. I was able to program the key myself following the BMW key programming process (use programmed key to unlock the car, then have someone take the programmed key far away, then hold the unprogrammed key to the right side of the column where the key sign its, press the start button 3 times and the car will fire up. The key is now programmed.) I did have to show proof of car ownership in person before I was able to place the order for the key. Hope this helps someone.
This is Awesome

OP
OP

rdmaha

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Here's a video. Don't forget to put your foot on the brake when pressing the start button. For some reason I had to press the start button 3 times before the key paired and the car started.

It sounds like Toyota of Katy and Classic Toyota Galveston offer a replacement key at reasonable prices $250-$270.

ATrn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra 3.0, 24 Camry TRD, 23 IS350

Here's a video. Don't forget to put your foot on the brake when pressing the start button. For some reason I had to press the start button 3 times before the key paired and the car started.

It sounds like Toyota of Katy and Classic Toyota Galveston offer a replacement key at reasonable prices $250-$270.
I wonder if this works for existing keys that had already been programmed. I have an extra key from my old 2.0 that would be nice if it would program with my new car

OP
OP

rdmaha

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Based off of the parts guy at the dealer, each key is specific to each VIN and can't be programmed to another VIN. I'm sure eventually there will be an aftermarket/third party service for this.

BrbLagging

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gr Supra 2022 3.0

Wait did this actually work b/c holy, I will program the key myself.

OP
OP

rdmaha

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, it worked.
Sponsored