Will PPF on Front Lip Peel Off Quickly?

wenyh01

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I just picked up my Supra and have it sent to a shop getting full front PPF done.
When I dropped off the car in the morning, I was told there is no precut for front lip so it won't be covered. I just did a quick search and found XPEL offers precut for front lip: https://www.xpel.com/Bumper-Kit-STEALTH_73. I asked the shop and they got back to me with a different answer than the morning which is that PPF will peel off quickly from plastic material and the glue for PPF will be hard to clean up. The front lip seems smooth and painted to my eyes and not sure what they said is true. I have also seen quite a bit of examples of front lips getting PPF from a quick search.

So could someone with experience help me
1. Does your PPF on front lip come off quickly?
2. Will removing PPF from painted plastic take the paint off from the lip?

Appreciate for any help!
Sponsored

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
a good ppf installer could protect the front lip and not have it peeling off. Ppf will come off of upainted hard plastic which is true but the lip is painted

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
a good ppf installer could protect the front lip and not have it peeling off. Ppf will come off of upainted hard plastic which is true but the lip is painted
Huh. I had no idea the front lip was actually painted. I was going to have my PPF installer skip it next week. Now Iā€™ll ask for it to be done for sure.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Huh. I had no idea the front lip was actually painted. I was going to have my PPF installer skip it next week. Now Iā€™ll ask for it to be done for sure.
I don't think they are painted and it's just black abs plastic. I wrecked a set and no paint came off and the replacement set had no sign of paint.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I don't think they are painted and it's just black abs plastic. I wrecked a set and no paint came off and the replacement set had no sign of paint.
Thanks. They certainly donā€™t look painted to me either. Given the matte finish I was hoping to avoid putting glossy PPF on top of it anyway.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Thanks. They certainly donā€™t look painted to me either. Given the matte finish I was hoping to avoid putting glossy PPF on top of it anyway.
They have matte ppf. But they also aren't super expensive to replace.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
The front lip is not painted and PPF will be hard to keep on. I had my installer skip it, especially since you can buy replacements fairly cheap.

kevenv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 MT
I had full XPEL put on last April when I bought the car. The installer told me he would use matte on the black pieces to retain the same look. It has held for almost 6 months now with no sign of lifting on any of the pieces.
Sponsored