Sponsored

Xtrarad97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Well it was a long drive(1800) miles to get my truck, but it is now in my possession.

I got these off road wheels used from eBay for a steal and I hyper dipped the front emblem and the badging. I also changed out the shift knob and replaced the polyurethane wheel with a leather wrapped one from a tundra.

I also installed the black chrome tip and the tailgate inserts. I am going to probably get the side windows tinted soonish, but that is enough money spent for now on it.

If anyone wants a certain photo or has a question on the Xtracab I can probably answer it now.

So, my review well I stopped at in n out as soon as I got it to eat and use the restroom before the long drive and I am getting out of the truck for the first time ever , and a 3rd gen owner in the line rolls down his window to say it's a nice truck. I wish I was making this story up it's so unbelievable but it happened. So, it catches some eyes I think that is the truck as a whole not just the Xtracab mind you, but it's cool to see. Now I have used lane keep assist on a rental 2020ish something Chevy Malibu one time, so let me say this lane keep is a whole different world better. it keeps well and with the radar cruise control it drives itself on the highway. At first I thought I would hate it/not use it or care, but now I don't know if I can ever buy a vehicle that doesn't have it ever again, so I have to give Toyota props. The ride is nice I test drove a sr5 double cab with the coils in the back as suspected this felt more stiff, but it's very very minor. As others have said the 8 inch is fine and I can live with it, (its alot nicer in person) but I still wish I had the option from factory to get the 14 and still may replace it one day. I also plan to get a wrap on the fenders or real fender flares in black I haven't decided yet, but I am still thinking.

Like I said any questions feel free to ask. It's a good truck.

2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review 1000007633
2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review 1000007626
2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review 1000007630
2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review 1000007625
i

2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review 1000007622

2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review 1000007585
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
I am in the exact same boat. It pisses me off to no end that Iā€™m going to have to drop thousands more to turn a stripper into a decent off-road truck considering the price out the door for the sr5.

yours looks awesome!

This is literally exactly what I want. I do want the SR5 upgrade package for the heated seats and steering wheel since I'm in Alaska.

If Toyota would just make an Xtracab Off-Road like they used to, it would be easier and cheaper than trying to make my own out of an SR5. I would like a sliding rear window, softex seats, and a rear locker but none of that is in the cards.

I absolutely need a 6' bed, and the DC long bed doesn't fit in my garage very well, and has a bad break over clearance with that long wheel base. (I go off road with my trucks)

I know trucks are often about compromise, but Toyota really let down the extended cab crowd in 2024.

Last edited:

Jdunlap12

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Well it was a long drive(1800) miles to get my truck, but it is now in my possession. I got these off road wheels used from eBay for a steal and I hyper dipped the front emblem and the badging. I also changed out the shift knob and replaced the polyurethane wheel with a leather wrapped one from a tundra. I also installed the black chrome tip and the tailgate inserts. I am going to probably get the side windows tinted soonish, but that is enough money spent for now on it. If anyone wants a certain photo or has a question on the Xtracab I can probably answer it now. So, my review well I stopped at in n out as soon as I got it to eat and use the restroom before the long drive and I am getting out of the truck for the first time ever , and a 3rd gen owner in the line rolls down his window to say it's a nice truck. I wish I was making this story up it's so unbelievable but it happened. So, it catches some eyes I think that is the truck as a whole not just the Xtracab mind you, but it's cool to see. Now I have used lane keep assist on a rental 2020ish something Chevy Malibu one time, so let me say this lane keep is a whole different world better. it keeps well and with the radar cruise control it drives itself on the highway. At first I thought I would hate it/not use it or care, but now I don't know if I can ever buy a vehicle that doesn't have it ever again, so I have to give Toyota props. The ride is nice I test drove a sr5 double cab with the coils in the back as suspected this felt more stiff, but it's very very minor. As others have said the 8 inch is fine and I can live with it, (its alot nicer in person) but I still wish I had the option from factory to get the 14 and still may replace it one day. I also plan to get a wrap on the fenders or real fender flares in black I haven't decided yet, but I am still thinking. Like I said any questions feel free to ask. It's a good truck.

1000007633.jpg
1000007626.jpg
1000007630.jpg
1000007625.jpg
i

1000007622.jpg

1000007585.jpg
Are those the same 17 inch rims, because mine came stock and I want switch mine to the ones you got?

OP
OP
Xtrarad97

Xtrarad97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Are those the same 17 inch rims, because mine came stock and I want switch mine to the ones you got?
No, as I said they are different and come with the off road variant. Ebay would be your best bet as Toyota will charge you way too much money if you buy from them. It might be around the same to just wait and order the trd pro wheels which will be specifically for changing probably around the same price and completely black if you don't like the silver ring around the wheel.

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Colorado Z71
I know trucks are often about compromise, but Toyota really let down the extended cab crowd in 2024.
GM did the same. Every truck I've owned has been the extended cab. I need the six foot bed, just need a little extra space in the cab, and I don't want a bigger truck overall. I finally caved in with the 24 off-road short bed and will just have to make it work. Kayaks will haul ok for me with the tailgate down, I have a bed extender that goes into the hitch, and I think I will be ok with my canoe with that, although it's not ideal. I don't appreciate losing a foot in the bed for everything else I haul.

G MAN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado
Well it was a long drive(1800) miles to get my truck, but it is now in my possession.

I got these off road wheels used from eBay for a steal and I hyper dipped the front emblem and the badging. I also changed out the shift knob and replaced the polyurethane wheel with a leather wrapped one from a tundra.

I also installed the black chrome tip and the tailgate inserts. I am going to probably get the side windows tinted soonish, but that is enough money spent for now on it.

If anyone wants a certain photo or has a question on the Xtracab I can probably answer it now.

So, my review well I stopped at in n out as soon as I got it to eat and use the restroom before the long drive and I am getting out of the truck for the first time ever , and a 3rd gen owner in the line rolls down his window to say it's a nice truck. I wish I was making this story up it's so unbelievable but it happened. So, it catches some eyes I think that is the truck as a whole not just the Xtracab mind you, but it's cool to see. Now I have used lane keep assist on a rental 2020ish something Chevy Malibu one time, so let me say this lane keep is a whole different world better. it keeps well and with the radar cruise control it drives itself on the highway. At first I thought I would hate it/not use it or care, but now I don't know if I can ever buy a vehicle that doesn't have it ever again, so I have to give Toyota props. The ride is nice I test drove a sr5 double cab with the coils in the back as suspected this felt more stiff, but it's very very minor. As others have said the 8 inch is fine and I can live with it, (its alot nicer in person) but I still wish I had the option from factory to get the 14 and still may replace it one day. I also plan to get a wrap on the fenders or real fender flares in black I haven't decided yet, but I am still thinking.

Like I said any questions feel free to ask. It's a good truck.

1000007633.jpg
1000007626.jpg
1000007630.jpg
1000007625.jpg
i

1000007622.jpg

1000007585.jpg
So what did it cost you to do all that ?

OP
OP
Xtrarad97

Xtrarad97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
So what did it cost you to do all that ?
Let's see I got the wheels with shipping for right under $1500 dollars.
The tail gate inserts were $80
The black chrome tip was $93 with shipping
The hyperdip is 20 dollars a can and I got 2 you could probably make do with 1. I am not counting the rubbing alcohol, tape, and trash bags I used to do the job myself.
The shift knob was $144 with shipping
The steering wheel was around 120 with shipping winning a bid on eBay could have been a lot more.
The flight was canceled once due to Toyota corporate changing the delivery date 3 times and my flight becoming too soon. The dealership to their credit Performance Bountiful Toyota took off the cost of the flight plus 100 dollars for my troubles and it wasn't really their fault. Before my flight became totally non refundable I was able to change it for a 90 dollar fee so I consider the flight a freebie. The drive back was probably under 300 in gas but I wasn't taking notes and was probably less than that. I plan to sell the old sr5 wheels and tires over time and recover at least a grand we shall see. The dealership basically sold it to me at MSRP plus a 500 dollar paint protection that I tried to get removed, but I think was port installed I was just happy they were willing to sell to me being out of state and so far away.

Oh I also don't mention in my post but I got a 20 something dollar slim wireless charger that I have taped up and routed the cable for where the charger would be if I had the sr5 upgrade package. Parking assist would have been nice, but just finding an xtracab at all was difficult. Overall I am happy. I hope that answered the question.

OP
OP
Xtrarad97

Xtrarad97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
I am in the exact same boat. It pisses me off to no end that Iā€™m going to have to drop thousands more to turn a stripper into a decent off-road truck considering the price out the door for the sr5.

yours looks awesome!

This is literally exactly what I want. I do want the SR5 upgrade package for the heated seats and steering wheel since I'm in Alaska.

If Toyota would just make an Xtracab Off-Road like they used to, it would be easier and cheaper than trying to make my own out of an SR5. I would like a sliding rear window, softex seats, and a rear locker but none of that is in the cards.

I absolutely need a 6' bed, and the DC long bed doesn't fit in my garage very well, and has a bad break over clearance with that long wheel base. (I go off road with my trucks)

Hey thanks man. Yeah a locker would have been nice and a 14 inch screen. I don't mind the cloth just wish it was two tone. Maybe in a year some covers will come out for the Xtracab. I also expect the 14 inch to function in the Xtracab it will just be years before I can get one out of a totaled truck for cheap I got the part number from a dealer and they want like 9k online no thanks. Heated seats and steering wheel would have been cool or warm more rather, but I live in Georgia so no tears over it. Obviously for enough money one could add a rear locker too, but I have yet to face a situation where I needed one still I agree it's dumb.

Ultimately I am happy with it, but if the Colorado came in two doors I would have bought it. Not just because I am/have been a Chevy man, but I could have got a trail boss for what I have spent on a lower spec truck. I know Toyota reliability, and resale value and Taco tax and the million other reasons people will give and besides the 2 doors I like the simple interior and new design. And most of all I bought it in the end, but with money tight inflation or not Toyota priced these things higher than the competition and I expect they will have a harder time selling. It's not pre 08 anymore and domestics are reliable and consistently cheaper and now with more power the value play is essentially non-existent and it comes down to preference and budget. Toyota is relying now on name recognition, and people's hearts when their wallets scream louder every day.

I will give them credit the Xtracab probably upset the access cab guys for lack of rear swing out doors, but I am a big guy and have had no trouble getting to my stuff. It would have been cool if they made at least one bench seat /seat belt for someone to sit behind the passenger in a pinch, but šŸ¤·. Still for all this dumb compromise they kept the 2 door when no one else save Nissan with the frontier has done so.

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review IMG_3467
2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review IMG_5890
2024 Tacoma Xtracab 2024 Tacoma SR5 in Celestial Silver Metallic w/ better photos, different wheels, and a basic review FullSizeRender 2
As you can see from my profile pic, Iā€™m a long time Xtracab guy. I bought my ā€˜85 back in ā€˜86 and itā€™s still on the stock motor.(300k on the odometer)

I started to buy an access cab last year, but decided to hold out for the new style. I was disappointed in the lack of Access Cab door because it makes it easy to throw my hockey gear in the back. (I hate getting to the rink and putting on cold gear after it rode in the bed of the truck.)

no extra cabs have made it to Alaska yet. Today I saw my third double cab out on the streets. They are trickling in.

Iā€™m going to wait until the extra cab gets here and then make the choice between that or a double cab long bed because I need the 6 foot bed for the stuff that I haul. I cart my canoe and kayak on the roof and a rack.

I hope you post some updates after you own that for a while and let everyone know the good and the bad.

So far, yours is the only one Iā€™ve seen on this forum. šŸ‘šŸ»

NM Tacoma Guy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD PreRunner
Nice truck. I like the look of the extra cab, a lot . Iā€™m getting the TRD PreRunner next month in this color.

OP
OP
Xtrarad97

Xtrarad97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Nice truck. I like the look of the extra cab, a lot . Iā€™m getting the TRD PreRunner next month in this color.
Radical man...
please pm and post pics I would love to see what she looks like IRL especially the grill and fenders as I might buy parts and do a swap of the grill and fender install
Sponsored