Sponsored

Iron grip required for Lane Trace Assist Cruise Control?

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Not sure if this can really be classified as an issue - but anyone else here with lane trace assist cruise control notice you need to literally keep an iron grip on the steering wheel for it not to beep at you (basically the truck telling you to keep your hands on the wheel)?

I've driven another Toyota, as well as my fiance's Lexus, which both have this feature - and simply resting one or both hands on the steering wheel will satisfy the "keep your hands on the wheel" requirement. However, at least on my Taco, you really have to put the squeeze on the steering wheel for it to detect your hands. To the point where your hands will even start to become tired from a long drive.

Considering bringing it in to the service department to get looked at, but wondering if anyone else has experienced (or are currently experiencing) this?
Sponsored

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Mine seems to only require a fairly light touch. Maybe should get it checked out.

lxs123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' TRD Offroad
Just nudge the wheel with one hand 0.5deg cw or ccw every 5-10s and you will not see the message come up.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Not sure if this can really be classified as an issue - but anyone else here with lane trace assist cruise control notice you need to literally keep an iron grip on the steering wheel for it not to beep at you (basically the truck telling you to keep your hands on the wheel)?

I've driven another Toyota, as well as my fiance's Lexus, which both have this feature - and simply resting one or both hands on the steering wheel will satisfy the "keep your hands on the wheel" requirement. However, at least on my Taco, you really have to put the squeeze on the steering wheel for it to detect your hands. To the point where your hands will even start to become tired from a long drive.

Considering bringing it in to the service department to get looked at, but wondering if anyone else has experienced (or are currently experiencing) this?
It's not the grip it is looking for. It actually wants you to provide steering input every 15-20 seconds or so. Try this:
Drive with one hand on the wheel with normal grip. When it complains about you not touching the wheel move the wheel left or right just barely (1/4-1/2 inch) and it will reset. I think it's still an issue though. No other vehicle I have ever driven with lane tracing requires this.

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Just nudge the wheel with one hand 0.5deg cw or ccw every 5-10s and you will not see the message come up.
It's not the grip it is looking for. It actually wants you to provide steering input every 15-20 seconds or so. Try this:
Drive with one hand on the wheel with normal grip. When it complains about you not touching the wheel move the wheel left or right just barely (1/4-1/2 inch) and it will reset. I think it's still an issue though. No other vehicle I have ever driven with lane tracing requires this.
That's an interesting solution, but this seems like more of a workaround. I'll give it a go next time see how it works.

Nonetheless, I took a look through the manual and it even states the steering wheel needs to be firmly gripped. Just seems a lot different than other Toyota implementations of this feature, which is why I even brought it up in the first place.

Screenshot_20240507-215000.png

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
That's an interesting solution, but this seems like more of a workaround. I'll give it a go next time see how it works.

Nonetheless, I took a look through the manual and it even states the steering wheel needs to be firmly gripped. Just seems a lot different than other Toyota implementations of this feature, which is why I even brought it up in the first place.

Screenshot_20240507-215000.png
I agree it is poorly executed. It is a software/calibration issue most likely. Getting Toyota who is generally over the top on safety to fix it may prove challenging.

OldOre

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OffRoad
Noticed the same thing. It's a cool feature, but at times requires a firmer grip and more input than I ever applied to a vehicle on long straight miles in the desert southwest.

...and giving the wheel a nudge in a seemingly imperceptible degree in either direction or squeezing the wheel with two fingers will silence the alarm.

Last edited:

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I have found it to be reasonable and required only light routine input on the wheel. As I have had almost three months with the system, I like it and trust it.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I found the same, I actually thought it needed to sense two hands because it never stopped screaming at me until I put two hands on the wheel.

Anyways, I immediately turned that off along with lane keep assist. More useless technology that requires more work with than without.

It would be an amazing feature if it allowed you to go much longer without screaming at you but I don't see myself getting any use out of it without it setting off my temper. Not that I can use it anyways, I'm still waiting for my grille shutter replacements 🙄
Sponsored