B58 2021 Jarama RT Edition eating serpentine belts - help :(

Bufger

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra Mk5 Jarama Race Edition
I hope someone familiar with the B58 design and its weaknesses can please help me diagnose.
5k Miles on car, stock. Have owned without problems for 2 years.

Event 1 - Hot day, AC on, Sport mode on and lots fo draw for alternator. Engine bay hot, 2+ hours of driving and serpentine belt snapped. Overheat and power loss warnings.

Event 2 (days after the first) - Inspected pulleys and everything moving freely/as expected. Replaced belt 1 with exact same dealer part. Idled for 10 minutes with no squeak and seemed to move OK/no slip. Tension normal. Small test drive no excessive load. AC on, sport mode on, no pulls/nothing over 30mph. 2 miles into drive belt snapped. Ordered new tensioner and belt from autodoc thinking an alternative belt may help and also read on BMW forums tensioners can be an issue.

Event 3 - Put on new parts but belt squeaking. Again everything seems to work but there is sign of the belt ageing prematurely. Have not taken out on road, only idled. Something is resisting/causing wear on the belt but I cant see it! Please see video

Do i just keep replacing parts until it goes away? how do i diagnose the crank pulley or alternator? What part numbers should I be looking out for? All help is appreciated. My MK5 has been off the road for a few weeks now and I miss her.

Video of squeaking belt
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bufger

Bufger

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra Mk5 Jarama Race Edition
Does it squeal with AC on and off?
Hi, thanks for replying!
Yes but it does seem to change a little when turning it on. Its also not rotating as fast as you would expect and the most concerning thing is the alternator pulley is getting blue hot - i dont think the belt is generating enough heat to make it this hot so its possibly something with the alternator?

Wish i knew more about alternators..

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
Hi, thanks for replying!
Yes but it does seem to change a little when turning it on. Its also not rotating as fast as you would expect and the most concerning thing is the alternator pulley is getting blue hot - i dont think the belt is generating enough heat to make it this hot so its possibly something with the alternator?

Wish i knew more about alternators..
not sure either. Was just checking to make sure it wasn’t the AC unit binding/dragging excessively when it engaged
Sponsored