Carbon fiber hoods - safe and tested for track?

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Anyone who's running a carbon fiber hood have recommendations? Or is it even worth it? My thoughts are to swap to a carbon hood to save weight and add some ventilation (hesitant to cut in to the OE hood). But I don't want something that'll fly up at like 120 lol.
Sponsored

Gabe

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MkV/Tesla Model S/Tesla Model X
No 3rd party manufacturer is going to give you a 100% reassurance that the thing wonā€™t fly away in the same way that the OEM is guaranteed.

If you are looking for weight savings, look somewhere else, like wheels, brakes, seats, battery. The hood is definitely not the biggest bang for the buck you are investing.

Many real race car owners (Jackie Ding type of person) run the car with CF hoods, but in reality they are fighting for 0.10 of a second, Iā€™m not sure but can safely assume that you are not them based on the question. So the quick answer is, the CF hood will not make you faster.

Most non real race drivers do it for the looks and the bragging rights. Which is fine. They accept the risk of the thing flying out and having little recourse in case that happens.

I will be cutting my OEM hood to vent it. Is cheaper to find a replacement OEM hood than buying a CF one, so thinking on buying a CF hood to avoid cutting on your OEM one is, in my opinion, a bad investment strategy.

OP
OP
Rta95

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
No 3rd party manufacturer is going to give you 100% reassurance that the thing wonā€™t fly away in the same way the OEM is guaranteed.

If you are looking for weight savings, look somewhere else, like wheels, brakes, seats, battery. The hood is definitely not the biggest for the buck you are investing.

Many real race car owners (Jackie Ding type of person) run the car with CF hoods, but in reality they are fighting for 0.10 of a second, Iā€™m not sure but can safely assume that you are not them based on the question. So the quick answer is, the CF hood will not make you faster.

Most non real race drivers do it for the looks and the bragging rights. Which is fine. They accept the risk of the thing flying out and having little recourse in case that happens.

I will be cutting my OEM hood to vent it. Is cheaper to find a replacement OEM hood than buying a CF one, so thinking on buying a CF good to avoid cutting on your OEM one is a bad investment strategy.
Valid points. Definitely made me reconsider not cutting a hole through it. I definitely rather not have it fly up than save the weight lol. Thanks for the response.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
From what I've been able to see, the only carbon hoods that provide any sort of weight savings are:
-Spage: 18.8 lbs
-Revolution: 13.5lbs (apparently their hood never made it to production)
- HGK Carbon Kevlar (OEM style): 17.5lbs
- Jase Composites: 16lbs

there may be others but i haven't been able to verify weights

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
We sell Seibon ones but pretty sure most people are going for aesthetics and some heat reduction. Would definitely recommend hood pins if you're going to be hitting 120+ a lot.

-Josh
Sponsored