Error starting car due to steering lock

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
I had an interesting experience yesterday morning, I hopped in the car to leave the cars & coffee event I was at and it wouldn't start!

The centre display came up with an error, (can't remember the exact wording) stating there was an error with the steering lock and then instructions stating the car could only be started by turning the wheel and hitting start at the same time. (I'm assuming for some reason there was too much weight against the locking pin and the transducer gave an error)

Taking the load off the wheel by turning it and hitting start solved after a couple of attempts, I drove it again this morning with no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this error?

I have standard wheels/tyres/suspension.
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I had an interesting experience yesterday morning, I hopped in the car to leave the cars & coffee event I was at and it wouldn't start!

The centre display came up with an error, (can't remember the exact wording) stating there was an error with the steering lock and then instructions stating the car could only be started by turning the wheel and hitting start at the same time. (I'm assuming for some reason there was too much weight against the locking pin and the transducer gave an error)

Taking the load off the wheel by turning it and hitting start solved after a couple of attempts, I drove it again this morning with no issues.

That is an odd one indeed! I have ocd so I never park it without straight wheels lol but I understand it looks cool for car shows / photo shoots, still, odd that this would cause an issue (if this is the root cause).

OP
OP
BrettMRC

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
Only thing I can think of is that the farm yard we park in isn't that level in places, so it's possible the wheels moved a little as I got out?

Will see if it does it again!

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

Yes. I have had this happen once after she was parked for a week or so in the garage. It was like the steering was locked in place and refused to move. After a mild panic attack and a jiggle of the steering wheel, she decided to play ball. I know my old car has a steering lock and I figured this was a modern equivalent, maybe.

Definitely weird but you are not alone.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
With key ignition switches there would be no digital resolution advice. I like the fact that you were given that advice. Discovering the "trigger" would be handy, indeed.
Sponsored