Going catless to reduce drone?

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
Hey everyone, I've had my Rk Ti signature catback for a bit now and absolutely love it...well until it's around 2k-2.5k rpm. On the highway it's sort of boomy and definitely drones if I'm in the wrong gear. 8th is practically useless unless I'm going 90+ or going downhill.

Since I still have the stock dp I'm curious if going catless would help reduce some of that drone. I know it sounds counterintuitive but I've read a few posts and such on various forums where people (seemingly in NA cars) notice less drone while catless due to there not being an obstruction in the exhaust causing essentially a resonance (I think). My friend's s2k had a noticeable amount of drone going from catless to a high-low cat.

Has anyone experienced this?
Sponsored

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Going catless is likely to increase the overall noise and drone I would have thought. Was thinking of going hi flow cat just as itā€™s too loud for me.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
How hard can it be?
Famous last words before spending countless hours and resources for a ~$300 off the shelf solution šŸ¤£

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I canā€™t speak for your exhaust. But I can say the SP1R has more drone around the 2k mark catless then OEM DP. Iā€™ve been in both and itā€™s noticeable. In town and my regular cruising it doesnā€™t bother me. But if I had to do a lot of highway commuting and wanted to keep the SP1R then I for sure would put the stock DP on. Or wouldnā€™t drive between that 80-90mph sweet spot that the drone is the worse.

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
I bought the cheap $700 awe style exhaust and it's built great welds are perfect and sounds just like awe but it has the 2,000 rpm drone also with a AA DOWNPIPE and also added resonators and it didn't do much to help either.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm fairly certain you are going to have that 2k rpm drone with just about any aftermarket exhaust you buy for this car. Don't think any combo of DP will make it any better.

GhostSZN

First Name
Lukas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 A90, '11 R8 V10, '10 R35, '08 350Z
I'm fairly certain you are going to have that 2k rpm drone with just about any aftermarket exhaust you buy for this car. Don't think any combo of DP will make it any better.
Can confirm. Have had stock + hi-flow, stock + catless, Tomei + hi-flow, Tomei + catless, and now Remnant + catless and they all drone. I can say though, the Remnant system is probably the least drone-y I've had on the car so far aside from stock.

OP
OP
rwense

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
Thanks for all the input, I figured regardless there would be drone no matter what I did but it was worth the question. It's honestly not as bad as my muffler delete on my previous ND2 miata šŸ˜…

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Choosing to go catless would make it worse. A better solution would be to swap the exhaust with one from a different brand or add a resonator to the midpipe.

Yabai

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 premium - Phantom
Went though the same thing. No matter what you're going to drone unless you modify it by adding some resonator but don't know anyone that has done that to the RK.

OEM dp will also drone.

I switched to the valvetronic w/ AA DP and its so much better.

I do miss my RK tho.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Get a j-pipe, ie. Helmholz resonator as mentioned above. They're miraculous.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Hey everyone, I've had my Rk Ti signature catback for a bit now and absolutely love it...well until it's around 2k-2.5k rpm. On the highway it's sort of boomy and definitely drones if I'm in the wrong gear. 8th is practically useless unless I'm going 90+ or going downhill.

Since I still have the stock dp I'm curious if going catless would help reduce some of that drone. I know it sounds counterintuitive but I've read a few posts and such on various forums where people (seemingly in NA cars) notice less drone while catless due to there not being an obstruction in the exhaust causing essentially a resonance (I think). My friend's s2k had a noticeable amount of drone going from catless to a high-low cat.

Has anyone experienced this?

I have an MF exhaust and Catless DP. It drones in auto, but I never drive it in auto. I always keep it where I want it while cruising as long as it's above 2k rpm. I am wondering if you can get drone in all exhausts. Mine is fine overall, but at the right speed and gear it will definitely give you some drone. Not horrible, but drone is drone.
Sponsored