Has anyone replaced their starter?

Trevor

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I made a previous post about what I thought was a battery problem. I finally had my car towed to Toyopet(a branch of Toyota) and they said they have tried all diagnostic checks on it. It’s not the battery, reset the computer etc and nothing is working. They said this happened to a similar Supra and when they replaced the starter it worked. But they are saying that might not fix it also and I have to pay 120,000 yen for the part plus labor. There’s all electronics if the car is turned over but it just won’t crank. Has anyone had any similar issue? It’s really stressful as the car has 4000kms and I’ve only driven it like 600kms since buying it used. Because of the muffler and being lowered, Toyota is technically not allowed to look at it but this is a friendly dealership with my companies dealership.
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I don't know the repercussions of doing so, but did the tech apply 12v directly to the starter or better yet did they took manual voltage/current measurements from the starter when engine tries to crank....
Is engine cranking at all?? I guess not... Then it really could be starter .

There's starter motors on eBay. It's BMW/Japanese Denso part. Labor..is labor. $900 is steep but I don't know what components they have to disassemble. Check TIS or service manual in one of the threads...

OP
OP
Trevor

Trevor

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I appreciate your response. I looked online and saw the price is America was much cheaper. No idea why. They also said there’s only one new starter at Toyota in all of japan. Haha. We trust this dealer so they aren’t shafting us. We buy many cars from them. They spent three days exhausting all options with checking. But as far as details of what they did, there’s a language barrier with me. The car would not crank. It was so to crank before it stopped. Like I would have to push on like two to three times.

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Took a look in the service manual.
Doesnt look too bad.

Part# for the starter:
28100WAA01
For reference its $400-500 USD.

1677635842807.png

1677636049905.png

1677636068388.png

1677636088667.png

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I appreciate your response. I looked online and saw the price is America was much cheaper. No idea why. They also said there’s only one new starter at Toyota in all of japan. Haha. We trust this dealer so they aren’t shafting us. We buy many cars from them. They spent three days exhausting all options with checking. But as far as details of what they did, there’s a language barrier with me. The car would not crank. It was so to crank before it stopped. Like I would have to push on like two to three times.
Is the powertrain warranty no longer active or something?

OP
OP
Trevor

Trevor

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I bought the car second hand and they said it doesn’t have a warranty with the aftermarket exhaust system. Japan is super strict.
Thanks for the directions. Hopefully the labor isn’t much. But I still have to front the bill if it doesn’t fix it.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I would try changing out the cheaper parts first then to the most expensive. Affer working for a dealership for years, I learned most dealerships are part changers. They really don’t know what’s wrong with it or spend time to determine what’s wrong. They change parts in hoping it fixes the issue. And it’s on the customer’s dime. I feel like this should all be under the power train warranty!

OP
OP
Trevor

Trevor

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Before you go change out the starter. Have you looked into the push start button and the ignition wiring to it?

You said the car isn’t “cranking” at all right?
It would turn over like once as if it was a dead battery. I hoped that was it. They told me I have no warranty as it’s modified

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I would try changing out the cheaper parts first then to the most expensive. Affer working for a dealership for years, I learned most dealerships are part changers. They really don’t know what’s wrong with it or spend time to determine what’s wrong. They change parts in hoping it fixes the issue. And it’s on the customer’s dime. I feel like this should all be under the power train warranty!
Yeah you can thank flat rate for that. My personal opinion is that flat rate should be taken away. It promotes crap work and parts slinging.

OP
OP
Trevor

Trevor

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I’ve mentioned it before. But still the language barrier. I bought a reader to do so but the car is far from my house.

OP
OP
Trevor

Trevor

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I watched YouTube videos that show unregistered batteries that still fire the car up but says dead battery
Sponsored