Light Flywheel for Performance

Bilharzia

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra M6, Commodore L98
Is there any experience with how car drives with a light flywheel?
It is offered by Clutchmaster for addition to clutch upgrade. But it is an upgrade in its own right giving better engine response and acceleration.
Downside is doing away with smoothness of dual mass flywheel, easier to stall, easier to spin wheels in low gears...
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
If you ditch the dual mass flywheel you'll get a lot of transmission rattle at idle around town and it will be more susceptible to stalling in stop start traffic. Will you get a shorter point to point time if the car is harder to get off the line. All this race car shit sounds great until you need to live with it day to day.

Phil

OP
OP

Bilharzia

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra M6, Commodore L98
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m asking about. But actual experience.
Iā€™ve turned a road v8 into a pig to drive with a light flywheel.
An in-line 6 has primary and secondary harmonics naturally balanced so shouldnā€™t rattle at idle.
More likely a question for those with clutch upgrade.

exe36m3

First Name
Percy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
I ran a chromoly lightweight flywheel in my 1995 M3 a few years back. I used it for track days (about once a quarter) and a stop/go commute (70 miles). The car's driveline responsiveness is pretty dramatic, definitely revs to redline a lot faster, noticed it going into/out of turns. Personally, I'd suggest chromoly, not as light as aluminum, but so many stories of forum members where the riveted faceplate of the aluminum units undid itself from the flywheel. The chromoly units are one-piece.

And downside, yep, you may/will get more driveline chatter at idle.
Somewhat solved with a thicker transmission fluid... or turning up the radio a bit. :)

Hasan

First Name
Hasan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many to list
A light flywheel might help with the rev hang and allow for faster shifting through the gears. That alone is a big enough positive for me to consider it.
Sponsored