Looking at possibly getting a Supra

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
My supra is the 1st car I am tracking. Best newbie advice I have is to just grab a mentor to ride with you and ride with other people. Ease into trusting tires and trusting brakes. Most people you will meet are there to have fun.
Dude we still miss our RX8! 1st real track car for me.
100% this.

I'm middle aged, a non-CEO, and had a lot of track experience in slower cars. But tracking the Supra just once at Sonoma made me realize it's a lot of car to handle and I wasn't ready.

So starting with the GR86 and working your way up is definitely the way to go. Super jelly you can have both. Congrats on the purchase!
As long as you donā€™t have the under 24 age male pheromones, anyone will be fine taking this car out and having a blast! Sure I would have killed myself in this thing if I was younger. But itā€™s not a Bugatti either. She wonā€™t snap oversteer unless you really want to.

My wife went out and babied the car when we 1st got it. Now she pushes it hard and hakuna matata. She flies! I just wish we were retired already. Iā€™d have this car up north already for the summer track months šŸ˜Š
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
if driver development is a top goal, i'd also look into doing autocross events. you can push the car to its limit much more with less risk compared to a track day event.
I agree on autocross. Fantastic way to test the waters if you donā€™t have a track near you. However, Iā€˜d say if someone went out with Chin Motorsports, NASA, HOD, or any other reputable company, the only risk is your own restraint. Someone on their first track day will have an instructor driving with other people just putzing around the track. Itā€™s tame as hell and I had my kids do it.

Like anything, there are a few bad groups out there. If any club lets people go out solo w/out a checkout ride or verify your experience, Iā€™d steer clear. Ask any Ferrari owner thatā€™s tracked their new Ferrari (I hope thatā€™s changed šŸ¤ž)

Last edited:
OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
I have taken my GR86 out with SCDA at Watkins Glen. I have an understanding of how they and NASA work. I am not sure if there are any AutoX events near me but one of the guys here at work does it, but he talks about going to Virginia or other places. I still think the GR86 would be the better track car for me while I gain more experience.

Will the Supra fit on the U-Haul car trailer? As it will be a few hours away, it might be easier for me to rent the car trailer and tow it back.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
there should be autox events closer than track day events as they're mostly held in large parking lots. check motorsportreg.com for events.

i own a gr86 and a supra as well. i think the gr86 is a better track/autox car because the limits are much lower. tires are also cheaper. since the gr86 is a momentum car, you cant rely on the power of a supra to mask your mistakes.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I'm middle aged, a non-CEO, and had a lot of track experience in slower cars. But tracking the Supra just once at Sonoma made me realize it's a lot of car to handle and I wasn't ready.
Ease into trusting tires and trusting brakes.
I just rewatched Savagegeese's '2023 M2 vs Supra Manuals' video becuase I remembered these quotes and wanted to get them right...

During the track drive, Mark uses the phrases "this is an incredibly fast car" ... "too much car for most people" and "if you aren't a keen driver, you can find yourself going backwards into a corner very easily"

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
As long as you donā€™t have the under 24 age male pheromones, anyone will be fine taking this car out and having a blast! Sure I would have killed myself in this thing if I was younger. But itā€™s not a Bugatti either. She wonā€™t snap oversteer unless you really want to.
lol for sure, this is why we see all these mustangs plowing into crowds. Anything with more than 300lbs ft of torque + RWD + under 24 age = disaster.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
During the track drive, Mark uses the phrases "this is an incredibly fast car" ... "too much car for most people" and "if you aren't a keen driver, you can find yourself going backwards into a corner very easily"
What's great about the Supra is that it's a good alignment away from turning from wanting to kill you all the time to being a very stable car.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lol for sure, this is why we see all these mustangs plowing into crowds. Anything with more than 300lbs ft of torque + RWD + under 24 age = disaster.
Exactly my point. Learning your limits on a track instead of the streets šŸ‘ No instructor wants to go sideways either. Buddy had a shirt on recently that said from bigger to smaller ā€œbrake, Brake, BRAKEā€ šŸ˜‚

i own a gr86 and a supra as well. i think the gr86 is a better track/autox car because the limits are much lower. tires are also cheaper. since the gr86 is a momentum car, you cant rely on the power of a supra to mask your mistakes.
Canā€™t argue against learning how to drive well in a momentum car. Iā€™ve seen tons of pro (or wanna be pro) guys get thrown into a spec MX5 Miata to go faster. GR86 would be similar for sure.

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Congrats! Hope you spend all weekend driving it!
Sponsored