First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
For those that DON'T have PPF, I'm curious how its holding up these past couple years?

1. Do you wish you purchased PPF in the beginning?
2. Is it needed for those that DAILY there car?
3. Is it needed for those that TRACK there car?
4. Any significant damage (Rock chips, scratches, etc)?
Sponsored

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
For those that DON'T have PPF, I'm curious how its holding up these past couple years?

Not phantom owner. But regardless of that all supras get significant damage on the lower fender and rocker panel area. rocks just get concentrated their because of how it curves in.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Not phantom owner. But regardless of that all supras get significant damage on the lower fender and rocker panel area. rocks just get concentrated their because of how it curves in.
Getting the ZL1 rock guards helps a ton for the lower fenders. That said, they don't really protect the rear parts of the black side skirts, mine are pretty blasted after 15 track events. Good news is that the side skirts don't cost a ton of money.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
I daily mine and I've already seen a few rock chips in my PPF that would have definitely damaged the paint
The car is only 3 months old and less than 2k miles
Worth every penny , from the easy to clean aspect, the piece of mind and protection

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom

Just over 4 months in. Car was built August 2020 and I’m the second owner at ~1800 miles. Car now has ~7800 miles.

1. Nope
2. Drive my car all day, every day. Just don’t tail gate people (especially larger vehicles).
3. If that’s a concern, get Track wrap (temporary PPF).
4. Bottom of the fenders are a little road rashed, but not something I remotely care about. However, I am probably going to PPF them once I get some nice aftermarket fenders.

Musa_Hanzo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Rockville, MD I Seoul, S. Korea I Yokohama, Japan
Car(s)
Toyota I Honda I Porsche

I have owned two previous cars in matte black and daily them both as I had them one after an other.
NO PPF on both.

1. NO.
2. NO. Just keep distance on the highway.
3. NA
4. NO. Just keep distance on the highway.

Check out this link, should help you.

https://ceramicpro.com/exploring-the-facts-about-matte-paint-for-cars/#:~:text=Matte finishes are just as,not as simple to repair.

OP
OP
RyanA90

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
I have owned two previous cars in matte black and daily them both as I had them one after an other.
NO PPF on both.

1. NO.
2. NO. Just keep distance on the highway.
3. NA
4. NO. Just keep distance on the highway.

Check out this link, should help you.

https://ceramicpro.com/exploring-the-facts-about-matte-paint-for-cars/#:~:text=Matte finishes are just as,not as simple to repair.
Awesome info! Now what is more budget friendly,Professional Ceramic coat entire car vs PPF front end, mirrors, fenders?

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Ceramic Coating doesn’t prevent your car from getting rock chips on a Matte finish or painted / clear coated surface.

So many think ceramic coating is like a indestructible force field
 and it’s not. It just helps the paint look nicer for those who don’t like to wax or polish their cars often.

Just my .02

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Awesome info! Now what is more budget friendly,Professional Ceramic coat entire car vs PPF front end, mirrors, fenders?
They go hand in hand. Ceramic coat doesn't stop rock chips. Just makes cleaning a lot easier.

Musa_Hanzo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Rockville, MD I Seoul, S. Korea I Yokohama, Japan
Car(s)
Toyota I Honda I Porsche
If you truly want this done, go PPF because of its ability to self heal.

Don't waste money on ceramic coating if you are looking for a protection against rock chips, and scratches.
Getting a full ceramic coating WILL protect your car from the natural elements + bird drops.

I see that you are in the bay area, where your paint will be exposed to harmful elements especially salt element that carries through the air. Salt + Matte paint cars = DISASTER.
I used to live in Yokohama, Japan(BAY AREA) before moving to the state side. I saw numerous matte painted cars having paint damages from the salt.

Insomniac

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra Premium GR
Ceramic is pretty budget friendly if you do it yourself. I already had a 5 inch and 3 inch Rupes for paint correction. Buying some quality rags and chemicals, I spent about $350 with Gyeon products. Easy to do, just take your time.

My front end had PPF on it stock, I ceramic coated the paint, PPF, Wheels, and glass.

Check out Esoteric on YouTube for some videos and guides.

Richard

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
PPF has always helped me with chips and scratches on the front of various track cars. You can usually find a decent package that will cover track applications. I currently have phantom and will be doing just that. My wife, on the other hand, likes ceramic coating because she loves a clean looking car. Our cars are garage kept and don't sit outside too long. Works for us đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž

civiccc32

First Name
Alek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
I would do ppf only if I plan to keep the car for a long period of time(3-5 years at least), drive at least 10k miles per year and then plan to sell to a private party. Carmax or dealers won’t care about rock chips much especially in the lower fender or rocker panels. Saying that I installed ppf on my 22 Supra, hoped to keep it, but eventually sold in 7 months when they announced that MT is coming, got all my money back except what I paid for ppf. Now will be getting A91 but most likely will not do anything.

OP
OP
RyanA90

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
All good input! I'm leaning towards Ceramic coating due to the fact that I only go into the office for work once a week (due to the pandemic). It will also be garage kept. But that can all change because what civiccc32 mentioned, I do plan on keeping this car forever plus more than likely I will take advantage of that NASA membership and hopefully continue tracking it a few times a year...