Sponsored

OR over Sport?

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback
I noticed majority of people seem to be getting the OR over the Sport which is making me second guess my soon to be purchase. I don't plan on doing much off roading. I live in Vegas and most of what we have when we do go off road is just desert. But in town of 3 million people 95% of my driving will be paved roads as well as my daily driver. I know the hood scoop is non-functional as well as the painted fenders and door handles.
Appreciate the info folks!
Sponsored

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I believe people want the OR due to the Bilstein suspension, rear diff lock, front sway bar disconnect and multi-terrain settings. If you're not inclined to do some deep offroad, then you'll be perfectly fine with the sport.

I would love the OR features, but I went with the sport because mine will be a daily driver with occasional bouts of offroad and overlanding/camping trips in the mountains. I wanted the sunroof and power seats that came with the sport, so that's what I went with. I have a 6spd, so the multi-terrain control is with my feet rather than a computer setting.

I decided early on that I can't add sunroof and PWR seats afterwards, but I can upgrade shocks, change tires to ATs, add a locker and (potentially, maybe) I could add the sway bar disconnect later.

When you're going to be doing 95% pavement, go with the comfort of the sport and enjoy it. If you ever decide to go offroad, you still have a very capable vehicle in stock form. If you decide to go a bit more hardcore, then you have a wide aftermarket to work with to overcome any limitations you might encounter. Even just changing out the highway tires to an all-terrain will likely get you to the desert and back again without issue. The traction control is excellent, so get to know how to use it and you'll be fine in 99.99% of what you come across. For the other 0.01%, grab some quality off road recovery gear and always go with a buddy. Even the OR owners will get stuck from time to time.

Further to this, my job used to take me deep into the woods of western canada. I off-roaded in rental SUVs like Jeep Grand Cherokees, GMC Terrains and Ford Escapes. I only ever got stuck once, and it would regularly cost me $60 at the car wash to clean up the mess before returning it to the rental shop.

Taco4ever

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
For me, I do a lot of city driving and went with the Sport. The OR MTS is nice but i will never use it. The sports has all I need in snow and bit of mud. I also prefer the uni-color and the long box.

OP
OP

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know the OR didn't come with power seats, moon roof. Not a deal breaker but I wasn't sure why the prices were similar and what each had that were maybe different. Much appreciated!

OP
OP

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I should have mentioned I'll be getting the premium Sport unless I can't see a reason to NOT get the OR instead if it's a better buy.

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
You have an OR Preimum.

The base offroad does not have heated seats
When I was looking, plenty of OR's had heated seats that were not premium. It was a common option added at the factory from what I saw. Ventilated seats typically were a premium option

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
I noticed majority of people seem to be getting the OR over the Sport which is making me second guess my soon to be purchase. I don't plan on doing much off roading. I live in Vegas and most of what we have when we do go off road is just desert. But in town of 3 million people 95% of my driving will be paved roads as well as my daily driver. I know the hood scoop is non-functional as well as the painted fenders and door handles.
Appreciate the info folks!
If I was in your shoes I’d probably get the SR5.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I went with the OR Premium (w/OR Package & moonroof) because I wanted something that was off road capable, not to say the Sport isn't, and from what I've read the OR rides better on and off road compared to the SR & Sport.

OP
OP

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was in your shoes I’d probably get the SR5.
I would bud but I live in 115º summers and want the ventilated seats and being my daily driver want the other creature comforts. So I'm pretty locked on the Sport Premium.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
I guess I should have mentioned I'll be getting the premium Sport unless I can't see a reason to NOT get the OR instead if it's a better buy.
Go test drive both of them. Then compare. I was set on the Sport but I am going to go OR when I buy in a few months!

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
You have an OR Preimum.

The base offroad does not have heated seats
I ordered a base off-road with no options and the cloth seats came heated from the factory. No power except for lumbar.

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I ultimately ended up with the Sport+ over my original choice (the OR) because it's the only way I could get some sort of upgraded package with a manual and I have no regrets.

The OR is great for folks who will do a lot of offroad travel, the Sport is great for folks who will do a lot of road driving with the sporty and stiffer suspension system.

I think the phony hoodscoop and paint matched fenders looks eons better too! The scoop gives her a much more meaner look.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a base off-road with cloth seats. They are heated but no power except for lumbar.
Right, and that is an option outside of the upgrade and premium package.

I meant the offroad itself does not include them unless you opt for the heated seat option or the upgrade or premium package.
Sponsored