Possible timing chain rattle??

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Hi guys! šŸ‘‹ So in past few days I noticed little rattle noise from front to mid of the car. Only on cold engine start and happens not always. Starts as soon as engine fire up for about half of second and then disappears. Can it be timing chain? Also 3 months ago I changed exhaust, other than that itā€™s stock. Car has 21k kilometres (13k miles). I will attach video. Itā€™s really hard to catch on video. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
gr_supra_lt

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Honestly couldnā€™t hear much of anything in the video. But if you changed the exhaust my first thought would be clearance above the under brace. Possibly worked its way closer to it somehow?

OP
OP
gr_supra_lt

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Honestly couldnā€™t hear much of anything in the video. But if you changed the exhaust my first thought would be clearance above the under brace. Possibly worked its way closer to it somehow?
Yes itā€™s really hard to capture by phone. I will try to record again when the engine will be cold. Iā€™m thinking about exhaust also. That rattle is only on cold start, when reving it doesnā€™t rattle.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Hi guys! šŸ‘‹ So in past few days I noticed little rattle noise from front to mid of the car. Only on cold engine start and happens not always. Starts as soon as engine fire up for about half of second and then disappears. Can it be timing chain? Also 3 months ago I changed exhaust, other than that itā€™s stock. Car has 21k kilometres (13k miles). I will attach video. Itā€™s really hard to catch on video. Thanks
Yes I heard the noise to which you are referring and it does sound like the timing chain for a split second. I'd need to spend more time on troubleshooting but considering the brevity of the issue and it's intermittency I wouldn't be too concerned.
Of course I'd check other more basic stuff first but if it doesn't progress then I'd not worry about it.
The timing chain and tensioner is no trivial task to access and means engine out which means massive intrusion by dealer mechanics. Something you don't really want unless it's unavoidable.

Phil

OP
OP
gr_supra_lt

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Yes I heard the noise to which you are referring and it does sound like the timing chain for a split second. I'd need to spend more time on troubleshooting but considering the brevity of the issue and it's intermittency I wouldn't be too concerned.
Of course I'd check other more basic stuff first but if it doesn't progress then I'd not worry about it.
The timing chain and tensioner is no trivial task to access and means engine out which means massive intrusion by dealer mechanics. Something you don't really want unless it's unavoidable.

Phil
thanks for reply! I have no check engine light, no misfire, oil is changed regularly 5-7k km. Which basic stuff you are referring? Thanks

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
thanks for reply! I have no check engine light, no misfire, oil is changed regularly 5-7k km. Which basic stuff you are referring? Thanks
Just checking the basics like actual oil level, time since last oil change, type of oil used ( you can't always trust a dealer to use the correct spec and grade of oil) loose heat shields etc. If it was cam chain noise I wouldn't expect it to create ang codes.

Phil

OP
OP
gr_supra_lt

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Just checking the basics like actual oil level, time since last oil change, type of oil used ( you can't always trust a dealer to use the correct spec and grade of oil) loose heat shields etc. If it was cam chain noise I wouldn't expect it to create ang codes.

Phil
Hello, Phil, soo I checked my oil its at MAX, last change was 1600km/900miles. Changed by my trusted Toyota dealership. Oil was OEM 0-20. I tried to look for loose heat shields. All are fine. Started car 3 times with completely cold engine - no noise. I even recorded start with mic. I can send it to you. Thanks

OP
OP
gr_supra_lt

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Hello, exhaust was checked today. It doesnā€™t touch anything, all bolts are tight

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Have you had any excessive oil consumption? I've had some cars have piston slap when first starting (2011 mustang 5.0) also is turbo shaft play fine?

OP
OP
gr_supra_lt

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Have you had any excessive oil consumption? I've had some cars have piston slap when first starting (2011 mustang 5.0) also is turbo shaft play fine?
oil consumption is all fine. Havenā€™t checked turbo shaft

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hello, Phil, soo I checked my oil its at MAX, last change was 1600km/900miles. Changed by my trusted Toyota dealership. Oil was OEM 0-20. I tried to look for loose heat shields. All are fine. Started car 3 times with completely cold engine - no noise. I even recorded start with mic. I can send it to you. Thanks
Ok then just monitor it and don't get too anal about it. Focusing on noises like this can be counterproductive and dive you nuts. I'm not totally convinced about 20 weight oil in modern engines. They don't specify it because it's a superior weight of oil to use. You only need a tensioner assembly that leaks down fractionally more than usual and the 20 weight oil will exacerbate the issue.

Phil

OP
OP
gr_supra_lt

gr_supra_lt

First Name
Martynas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Ok then just monitor it and don't get too anal about it. Focusing on noises like this can be counterproductive and dive you nuts. I'm not totally convinced about 20 weight oil in modern engines. They don't specify it because it's a superior weight of oil to use. You only need a tensioner assembly that leaks down fractionally more than usual and the 20 weight oil will exacerbate the issue.

Phil

Phil
Iā€™m planning to switch from 0-20 to 5-30. Yeah that sound makes it harder to fall asleep. I will continue to monitor
Sponsored