Springs vs coils vs bags

Suprased

First Name
Seda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A90 MT Supra
Everyone keeps asking me what I’m going to do with the monster truck wheel gap at the moment and I’ve been looking into options. Every time ppl talk about it, every single person has such a strong opinion about one over the other.

sooo my question for you guys is what did you end up going with for your supra and what made you pick that 👀 pros/cons idk I’m just trying to get a better feel for it all
Sponsored

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
I guess it depends on what you intend for the car, but personally I STARTED with springs. Since my car is 60% track, 40% street I planned on getting coilovers at some point but I wanted to slowly build up to that. Its fun to see how the car changes and evolves overtime. I also had other things to buy so $3-5k for a good set of coils was out of the cards at the time lol.

I started with Eibach springs due to the slight bump in spring rate....kinda wish I didnt cause it rode so damn low I would scrape everywhere. Then when I got my 18x10.7 square setup I had to run spacers and the scraping was worse.

Next was the HKS HAS springs. These so far have been fantastic. Easy to install, raised the car to about a 0.5" drop all around. On the street it is stiffer but in normal mode it just feels like stock sport mode per se. On track they've been pretty great all things considered. Albeit I wish I had better low speed damping to help with pitch/dive and weight transfer when going through the S's.

Definitely planning on coils over the winter now that I've driven the car in multiple states I know what it needs.

TL;DR Im a cheapass and I also didnt want to throw a buttload of parts at the car from the getgo lol.

OP
OP
Suprased

Suprased

First Name
Seda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A90 MT Supra
I guess it depends on what you intend for the car, but personally I STARTED with springs. Since my car is 60% track, 40% street I planned on getting coilovers at some point but I wanted to slowly build up to that. Its fun to see how the car changes and evolves overtime. I also had other things to buy so $3-5k for a good set of coils was out of the cards at the time lol.

I started with Eibach springs due to the slight bump in spring rate....kinda wish I didnt cause it rode so damn low I would scrape everywhere. Then when I got my 18x10.7 square setup I had to run spacers and the scraping was worse.

Next was the HKS HAS springs. These so far have been fantastic. Easy to install, raised the car to about a 0.5" drop all around. On the street it is stiffer but in normal mode it just feels like stock sport mode per se. On track they've been pretty great all things considered. Albeit I wish I had better low speed damping to help with pitch/dive and weight transfer when going through the S's.

Definitely planning on coils over the winter now that I've driven the car in multiple states I know what it needs.

TL;DR Im a cheapass and I also didnt want to throw a buttload of parts at the car from the getgo lol.
this was helpful. I just got to 1200 miles lol so deff wanna take my time with it and do the research. I’m trying to do it once do it right so I’m not spending money out of ignorance. Appreciate the response!

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
If you're actually going to track the car in HDPEs or other road course type of events you should stay on the stock suspension (struts and spring) and upgrade to coilovers down the road once you learn the car with seat time. It is recommended to stick with Ohlins/MCS/JRZ, and they will be expensive (~$3k and up) but you'll truly be upgrading the car with a world class damper. Cheap coilovers with piss poor dampers are disappointing in many ways and are a complete waste of money IMHO after going down that path in the past.

If you don't care about tracking the car and are planning on only driving it on the street get lowering springs for a few hundred dollars or the HKS HAS for $1k and be done with it. You won't need the benefits of the improved damping and you'll be able to retain the OEM electronic damper features.

I'm guessing though that since you're calling <2 inches of wheel gap "monster truck wheel gap" you're in the latter category. The HKS HAS is probably what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Suprased

Suprased

First Name
Seda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A90 MT Supra
If you're actually going to track the car in HDPEs or other road course type of events you should stay on the stock suspension (struts and spring) and upgrade to coilovers down the road once you learn the car with seat time. It is recommended to stick with Ohlins/MCS/JRZ, and they will be expensive (~$3k and up) but you'll truly be upgrading the car with a world class damper. Cheap coilovers with piss poor dampers are disappointing in many ways and are a complete waste of money IMHO after going down that path in the past.

If you don't care about tracking the car and are planning on only driving it on the street get lowering springs for a few hundred dollars or the HKS HAS for $1k and be done with it. You won't need the benefits of the improved damping and you'll be able to retain the OEM electronic damper features.

I'm guessing though that since you're calling <2 inches of wheel gap "monster truck wheel gap" you're in the latter category. The HKS HAS is probably what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.
i haven’t decided what exactly my end goal is yet. My first car and first ever build tbh. I’ve never been on a track so I’m using the free day you get with the car to judge if I’m built for that life lol

my workplace had a little car show and this M2 won. When I was looking at pictures of that car vs mine. The wheel gap just sticks out like a sore thumb to me now 😂

This was helpful tho. Thank you!!

1696016790967.jpeg

1696016835469.jpeg

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
You can also get wider wheels and tires which will help fill out the wheel well a little bit more on stock suspension.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i haven’t decided what exactly my end goal is yet. My first car and first ever build tbh. I’ve never been on a track so I’m using the free day you get with the car to judge if I’m built for that life lol

my workplace had a little car show and this M2 won. When I was looking at pictures of that car vs mine. The wheel gap just sticks out like a sore thumb to me now 😂

This was helpful tho. Thank you!!

1696016790967.jpeg

1696016835469.jpeg
I can't stress enough how great of an opportunity the NASA HDPE is. Enjoy yourself!

One thing to keep in mind is the use of spacers. I've been using a set to gain inboard clearance with my track wheels and they make the OEM wheels look WAY better lol.

Don't be in a rush to throw mods at your car. Drive it and figure out what you want to do with the car then modify it to suit your needs.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10000% agree with decodeddiesel. If this is your first performance car I also HIGHLY recommend you try out a few autocross events. They're a great intro into not only performance driving but also how your car behaves. Typically super low risk, you spin out or overcook a corner, worst that can happen is you smack a cone lol.

Also in my experience the autocross community is awesome and really helpful. So don't be afraid to find a fast guy/girl and ask them to ride shotgun and give you a few pointers! It's incredibly helpful 🙂

OP
OP
Suprased

Suprased

First Name
Seda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A90 MT Supra
I can't stress enough how great of an opportunity the NASA HDPE is. Enjoy yourself!

One thing to keep in mind is the use of spacers. I've been using a set to gain inboard clearance with my track wheels and they make the OEM wheels look WAY better lol.

Don't be in a rush to throw mods at your car. Drive it and figure out what you want to do with the car then modify it to suit your needs.
10000% agree with decodeddiesel. If this is your first performance car I also HIGHLY recommend you try out a few autocross events. They're a great intro into not only performance driving but also how your car behaves. Typically super low risk, you spin out or overcook a corner, worst that can happen is you smack a cone lol.

Also in my experience the autocross community is awesome and really helpful. So don't be afraid to find a fast guy/girl and ask them to ride shotgun and give you a few pointers! It's incredibly helpful 🙂
Wheel spacers are definitely on my list of things to buy bc agreed lol

I am looking forward to the track day, I’m going in about a month. I’ve heard it’s a day where it’s all supras so that’ll be fun bc I haven’t personally met any Supra owners yet.

I’ve got a whole lot to learn but I appreciate u guys taking the time to respond 🙏🏼

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I am looking forward to the track day, I’m going in about a month. I’ve heard it’s a day where it’s all supras so that’ll be fun bc I haven’t personally met any Supra owners yet.

I’ve got a whole lot to learn but I appreciate u guys taking the time to respond 🙏🏼
No worries man! Looking forward to seeing ya progress! Check out the "race tracking your supra" thread. There's tons of great info there.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

You'll have a blast, and it will set the hook in you for more. Everyone I've met IRL at the track with a Supra has been very friendly and welcoming.

I wouldn't make any mods before that day so you can drive the car bone stock on track. I did a few times and I'm really pleased I did.

Then this happened.

Now I'm 16 HDPEs and 3 SCDA Car Control Clinics in and I'm a full blown track junkie.
Sponsored