[Stock] Removing Intake Muffler/Resonator

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Apologies I am not knowledgeable on the exact terminology so bear with me:

Saw this YT video on removing this resonator/muffler from the stock intake and just plugging the hole.
This supposedly could increase the turbo spool whistle sound.

Can you let me know please what exactly is that box for, is it really 100% for sound deadning purposes only serves other purpose? Removing it causes no negative ripercussion on the engine/filtering/flow?

Just wanna know if it will throw any codes or CEL if I try it as I don't have a scan tool/obd if that happened and I don't wanna go to the dealer unless I really have to.

I know the proper way to go is getting a proper intake like Arma or MST, but I'm not ready to do that yet mentally (nor financially...) hence why I am just looking for these small "quick wins" to improve sound / driving experience - any help and advice is appreciate thank you!
Screenshot_20230722_004906_YouTube.png
Sponsored

Bigjsn250

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If you search you will see, everyone I have found said they noticed very difference after deleting the resonator, but a big difference in sound with the MST.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I had done it. Can't recall any spool sound increase but no adverse affect on anything, no error code.. I recall it as ASD mute..
Hmm. I've sold the car with the plug. Crap. That means I've the assy somewhere. 🤔

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
It's just a resonator. The car doesn't care if it's gone, as long as the port it's attached to is capped or the entire intake is replaced with some aftermarket solution.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Thank you all - might consider doing it :)

Do you think I need to actually touch the airbox at all (i.e. the 4 clips and the flow sensor) if I only plan to take the resonator off? Hoping to make it as simple as possible.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
I did this, adds perhaps 5% turbo noise, but only noticeable when driving next to a wall or windows down in 1st or 2nd. Put the money towards a proper kit.

It's a 5 minute job max.
Sponsored