Weird sound after HKS spring install.

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Installed my HKS Hipermax adjustable springs. Took it for a test drive and I hear this weird light pop or thump sound from the driver side rear. Everything is tight and torqued. And the sound only happens when hitting a dip or level change in the road.
Is this normal?
Sponsored

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Did you use spring silencers for coil slap?

2021Supra

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2021 Lexus RC300, 2007 Tundra, 1975 Ch
I second that. Use the above the silencers around the coil.

OP
OP
Shifty

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did you use spring silencers for coil slap?
Yeah I added the silencers on the spots where it said to. If thatā€™s what it is and I have nothing to worry about Iā€™ll just turn the music up then.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah I added the silencers on the spots where it said to. If thatā€™s what it is and I have nothing to worry about Iā€™ll just turn the music up then.
Hmm. That should honestly stop the problem if itā€™s caused by coil slap. Maybe make sure theyā€™re properly positioned? Shouldnā€™t need to play music to stop the annoyance lol.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Is it like a popping noise only when you are turning at slow speeds?

OP
OP
Shifty

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Is it like a popping noise only when you are turning at slow speeds?
No, just whenever I hit a bump or level change in the road. Gonna take the wheels off tomorrow and double check everything

OP
OP
Shifty

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
You shouldn't need to add or change anything else in the rear. It's also possible that the springs are not aligned correctly to the perches, which causes them to twist.

OP
OP
Shifty

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
You shouldn't need to add or change anything else in the rear. It's also possible that the springs are not aligned correctly to the perches, which causes them to twist.
When you guys say not aligned correctly. Do you mean not seated properly? I do all my own installs so Iā€™m trying to figure this out. Iā€™ve installed springs and coilovers in the past, but this is new to me.

OP
OP
Shifty

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Iā€™m an idiot, I read what you said too fast. By perches do you mean the bottom where they set?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Iā€™m an idiot, I read what you said too fast. By perches do you mean the bottom where they set?
Correct. The rubber perches ("discs") that the springs sit in/on. They are specifically molded to abut the end of the spring coils, and it's easy to to have the springs not totally snug in those perches. This will allow the spring to rotate in the seat, which causes popping.

OP
OP
Shifty

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Correct. The rubber perches ("discs") that the springs sit in/on. They are specifically molded to abut the end of the spring coils, and it's easy to to have the springs not totally snug in those perches. This will allow the spring to rotate in the seat, which causes popping.
Gotcha, Iā€™ll be honest that part of the install was a little tough because I couldnā€™t tell if I set it or not. I didnā€™t know I needed to twist it in or something. Iā€™ll try messing with it tomorrow.

thank you

OP
OP
Shifty

Shifty

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
tried uploading a short video. Said it was too large. But this looks seated to me unless Iā€™m wrong.
IMG_3120.jpeg
Sponsored