OP
OP
WrenchMonkey

WrenchMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT
I was curious so I took a look at the MY23 Australian Spec sheet and I think you are right. The published weights are really just approximations. On Australian cars there should be a weight discrepancy between the GT and GTS specs due to different wheels as well as a few other minor spec changes.

Looks like standard marketing bullshit to be honest.

Screenshot - 24.01.05 at 07.58.39PM.png
If I may chime in..
It can't be marketing. Otherwise customers in 1 country would be upset if they cared the weight was more than another's country.

There will always be that discrepancy. I can search laws for our respective countries if you'd like.

Below is a snapshot as to why Curb weight is a federal requirement (in the U.S., other countries will have their own regulatory origin). Australia might not have a law that requires the curb weight spec to be precise per model, thus probably using the mass of the heavier trim model and a load rating that is safe for both models.

"Curb weight means the actual or the manufacturer's estimated weight of the vehicle in operational status with all standard equipment, and weight of fuel at nominal tank capacity, and the weight of optional equipment computed in accordance with § 86.1832-01; incomplete light-duty trucks shall have the curb weight specified by the manufacturer."

In a nutshell here's why disclosed curb weight exists:
  • Determine load threshold
  • Crash testing requirement accuracy
  • Inertial mass calculations
  • Towing capacity
  • Load capacity
  • Tire regulations
  • Emissions class (fuel / kg) + engine size
  • Consumer "fairness"
Pre 2006 example: the UK did not have the same bumper reinforcement requirement that the US did (one reason why the importation laws exist). A bumper reinforment beam can weight between 10lbs and 40lbs. Probably more in trucks approaching the 6000lbs mark (which is the light duty truck weight limit). Common for pre 2006 cars to be significantly lighter in the UK vs the US counterpart.

To add to the thread, are you are able to measure a GR supra and tell us the results?
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
It can't be marketing.
With respect, I disagree. I am not questioning the discrepancies between regions/how weights are calculated - I agree with your premise on these points - I am saying that Toyota list the weight reduction for the manual because marketing, but no weight difference between the models.. also because, marketing.

To add to the thread, are you are able to measure a GR supra and tell us the results?
Sorry but I do not have this ability. I can take a photo of the compliance plate if you want? Besides, unless you are measuring cars that are completely stock, with identical fluid levels on calibrated equipment, I think you may be chasing a dream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WrenchMonkey

WrenchMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT
With respect, I disagree. I am not questioning the discrepancies between regions - I agree with your premise on this - I am saying that Toyota list the weight reduction for the manual because marketing, but no weight difference between the models.. also because, marketing.

Sorry but I do not have this ability. I can take a photo of the compliance plate if you want? Besides, unless you are measuring cars that are completely stock, with identical fluid levels on calibrated equipment, I think you may be chasing a dream.

Ah I understand. I think I missed your comparison referring between AT and MT. I haven't weighed either yet. DrSupra and Sub-MKV referenced Similar comparisons here and found that maybe atleast a 20lb difference ? With the additional idea that maybe 2023 models increased weight... and the looming question where did the additional reported mass come from between those two models, specifically in the US.

I have access to a couple 3.O AT in my region. I'm trying to see if the owners are willing to measure (and hopefully are 100% OEM). At that point the best we can do is make sure fluids are at level. How close or different should their weight be, before we decide they weigh the same?? MY goal was just to document the weight for anyone else curious about the topic. If you want to share the compliance plate I can add it to the post?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Ah I understand. I think I missed your comparison referring between AT and MT. I haven't weighed either yet. DrSupra and Sub-MKV referenced Similar comparisons here and found that maybe atleast a 20lb difference ? With the additional idea that maybe 2023 models increased weight... and the looming question where did the additional reported mass come from between those two models, specifically in the US.

I have access to a couple 3.O AT in my region. I'm trying to see if the owners are willing to measure (and hopefully are 100% OEM). At that point the best we can do is make sure fluids are at level. How close or different should their weight be, before we decide they weigh the same?? MY goal was just to document the weight for anyone else curious about the topic. If you want to share the compliance plate I can add it to the post?
You're still missing what @BMWAF is saying. It's just marketing because in Australia the GT and GTS model should not weigh the same. But they are listed as the same. Across two models/ trim levels.

OP
OP
WrenchMonkey

WrenchMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT
You're still missing what @BMWAF is saying. It's just marketing because in Australia the GT and GTS model should not weigh the same. But they are listed as the same. Across two models/ trim levels.
🤦🏻 I understand now, thanks lol.
Sorry BMWAF !

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
-My 2.0 in registry papers had 1441kg (being with sport pack so 3.0 brakes diff suspension), not mythical 1395kg. 1450kg with full tank in real world weight.
-My 3.0 has now 1505kg in registry (8AT with 12 speakers etc), will need to real world weight it, I expect ~1510kg.
-Typical USA weight I saw in tests along the years is 1520-1531kg, pretty common to be in 1520's.
In EU ~1505-1510kg.

Last edited: