dongar tech USB splitter from rain sensor install

BMWZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I use a dash cam and wanted to have a clean install other than running that long power wire around to the cigarette lighter. So I was given an usb splitter from

https://dongar.tech/products/porsche

I installed this and everything worked out well. There is plenty of room under the plastic covers for you to tuck the harness. There is enough space between the plastic cover and the window to allow the cable to come out just about anywhere.

There is only one thing that I noticed, the 3 pin connector inside the rain sensor compartment appears to have power on all the time, which means your dash cam will stay on constantly. I have tried to lock the car with the remote, the power does not cut out, and the dash cam stayed on overnight. So you have to manually turn on and off the dash cam itself.

for full disclosure, I received this harness for free as parts tester

picture 1- this is how it looks when you first pull off the plastic cover, the red connector is the one needs to be removed
D61D9251-40BE-4881-9307-5A4277E91D84.jpeg

Picture 2 is what the harness looks like before installation
62AC41C9-3A3F-4C27-AEBF-34CB8664102F.jpeg

picture 3 and 4 –show there is plenty of room to tuck in the harness under the plastic cover
9234969B-07C9-4BC1-90A3-1FA8A3FCD6DF.jpeg
E0DA48F0-82B8-40E0-8A08-40E8DD75034A.jpeg

picture 5 - after re-installing the plastic cover
3EC8013C-3E28-4A66-9D6B-ED27FF9E0194.jpeg

I found the best way to separate the two pieces of plastic cover to expose the rain sensor is to use a flathead screw driver. Start to wedge the flathead at the very top of the seam between the two half,you Can easily wedge it in at the crack where it meets with the headliner. And then slowly slide the flathead down towards the center and then gently twist and separate the two halves.

Ask me any questions , I will try to answer to my best ability.
Sponsored

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Is this setup still working for you? I run a dongar tech adapter on my Tundra for my dash cam and it's great.

SooopraSD

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2005 Titan, 1993 Civic, 2003 CBR600RR
Old thread but anybody else using this?

spongklong28

First Name
RR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 GR Supra, '20 Subaru STI
i installed this and it works as intended but like OP said, it does have power all the time so i have to turn off the cam every time i turn off the car.

I did some more research and found out that dongar also offer some two-prong universal adapter, pretty similar to the mirror tap that is being used for radar detector. Links below.

https://dongar.tech/products/twoprong-miniusb

https://dongar.tech/products/twoprong-microusb

Im going to use these instead and tap into the other connector (below the pink/reddish one).

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
What I want to know is how exactly he pulled that stupid red plug out? And without pulling the mirror off. Good grief.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i installed this and it works as intended but like OP said, it does have power all the time so i have to turn off the cam every time i turn off the car.

I did some more research and found out that dongar also offer some two-prong universal adapter, pretty similar to the mirror tap that is being used for radar detector. Links below.

https://dongar.tech/products/twoprong-miniusb

https://dongar.tech/products/twoprong-microusb

Im going to use these instead and tap into the other connector (below the pink/reddish one).
Dang. I have a dongar harness in my Tundra and it works perfect. Don't have to turn off the camera. I know I'll get annoyed having to remember to turn the camera on and off all the time and will likely forget. Guess I'll just run an add a fuse to the fuse box instead.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
My dashcam uses USB-C. No Dongar products for that yet. Lame.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Wouldn't you just need a USB to USB-C cord?
I don't plan to use the plug version because it's constant power and I'm not wanting to turn the camera on/off every drive. The prongs shut off w/ the car but only come in Micro/mini

spongklong28

First Name
RR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dang. I have a dongar harness in my Tundra and it works perfect. Don't have to turn off the camera. I know I'll get annoyed having to remember to turn the camera on and off all the time and will likely forget. Guess I'll just run an add a fuse to the fuse box instead.
I've been using the two prong ones like I posted and it works great, no issues so far.. camera turns off after 6 mins of shutting off and locking the car.

spongklong28

First Name
RR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I use a dash cam and wanted to have a clean install other than running that long power wire around to the cigarette lighter. So I was given an usb splitter from

https://dongar.tech/products/porsche

I installed this and everything worked out well. There is plenty of room under the plastic covers for you to tuck the harness. There is enough space between the plastic cover and the window to allow the cable to come out just about anywhere.

There is only one thing that I noticed, the 3 pin connector inside the rain sensor compartment appears to have power on all the time, which means your dash cam will stay on constantly. I have tried to lock the car with the remote, the power does not cut out, and the dash cam stayed on overnight. So you have to manually turn on and off the dash cam itself.

for full disclosure, I received this harness for free as parts tester

picture 1- this is how it looks when you first pull off the plastic cover, the red connector is the one needs to be removed
D61D9251-40BE-4881-9307-5A4277E91D84.jpeg

Picture 2 is what the harness looks like before installation
62AC41C9-3A3F-4C27-AEBF-34CB8664102F.jpeg

picture 3 and 4 –show there is plenty of room to tuck in the harness under the plastic cover
9234969B-07C9-4BC1-90A3-1FA8A3FCD6DF.jpeg
E0DA48F0-82B8-40E0-8A08-40E8DD75034A.jpeg

picture 5 - after re-installing the plastic cover
3EC8013C-3E28-4A66-9D6B-ED27FF9E0194.jpeg

I found the best way to separate the two pieces of plastic cover to expose the rain sensor is to use a flathead screw driver. Start to wedge the flathead at the very top of the seam between the two half,you Can easily wedge it in at the crack where it meets with the headliner. And then slowly slide the flathead down towards the center and then gently twist and separate the two halves.

Ask me any questions , I will try to answer to my best ability.
Are you sure the sensor remains powered all the time? A lot of cars don't fully power down the BCM and other modules completely for sometimes more than an hour after you turn the car off and lock it. This is why when doing a parasitic drain test in a Ford you need to leave the car off for at least 45 minutes before you look for any parasitic drain. Toyota time may vary. Check the power to the camera after an hour or so has passed.

Phil

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've been using the two prong ones like I posted and it works great, no issues so far.. camera turns off after 6 mins of shutting off and locking the car.
Ah ok, I see that now. By tapping into the wires, did you use some standard wire taps? Happen to know which wire goes to what?

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Ah ok, I see that now. By tapping into the wires, did you use some standard wire taps? Happen to know which wire goes to what?
The ones suggested just push into the pin locations and are held in place by friction. I used them for my radar with no problems.
Sponsored