Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
In before "CaRl FoUnD tHeSe In ThE dUmPsTeR bEhInD pAsSwOrDjDm'S oLd WaReHoUsE & sCrAtChEd ThEiR lOgO oFF!"
I didn't even scratch it off, I just laser engraved mine over the top, less work
Sponsored

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Shipping to Cali is about $95 is that right for something that weighs 3 lbs?
shipping is on me, pick one of the free ones, working to fix it now

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I'm listening...I am interested on how they'll hold up being installed and removed several times tho...
One thing you need to be aware of is galling is a real issue with titanium and removing a galled lug nut is a real PITA. Most important to use some copper based anti seize on the threads at all times.

Phil

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
One thing you need to be aware of is galling is a real issue with titanium and removing a galled lug nut is a real PITA. Most important to use some copper based anti seize on the threads at all times.

Phil
that's coming in the upcoming "take care of your shit" post

you should use anti-seize on any lug nut. Not just titanium, that's pretty misleading

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
that's coming in the upcoming "take care of your shit" post

you should use anti-seize on any lug nut. Not just titanium, that's pretty misleading
Not meant to be misleading just informative. What should be done and what is done are different things. Manufacturers don't lube lug nuts and their torque requirements are based on dry figures. Ti is much worse than say grade 8.8 steel bolts for galling. I know Ti material pretty well as I machine my own Ti components and use it extensively for fasteners. Have for many years both in automotive and aviation. Just saying use them by all means but remember to use anti seize.
A few items I've made recently in Ti. Steering damper attach fittings and a rear axle for one of my bikes. Ti axle weight V original steel axle.

Phil

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

Last edited:

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Not meant to be misleading just informative. What should be done and what is done are different things. Manufacturers don't lube lug nuts and their torque requirements are based on dry figures. Ti is much worse than say grade 8.8 steel bolts for galling. I know Ti material pretty well as I machine my own Ti components and use it extensively for fasteners. Have for many years both in automotive and aviation. Just saying use them by all means but remember to use anti seize.
A few items I've made recently in Ti. Steering damper attach fittings and a rear axle for one of my bikes. Ti axle weight V original steel axle.

Phil

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG
Fancy! I like it.

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Phil

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG
sexy! Maybe I have you price me out for some projects 🫣

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sexy! Maybe I have you price me out for some projects 🫣
Like most things I make the quality is very good but I'm slow. I could never charge people to make stuff like this as it would be too expensive on an hourly rate, even a cheap hourly rate.
I love Ti as a material, It's light, strong and maintains it's surface finish for ever. At least natural finish. It's also very tactile stuff. It's not too bad to machine but a proper bitch to drill in larger diameters. It has an unusual machining property in that the chips or swarf don't carry the heat away from the part being machined so unlike steel or aluminium the swarf and chips come off the tool quite cool and the part itself retains all the heat generated by cutting.

Phil

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah titanium def has its own personality and tooling requirements but it's really cool.

Inconel might be my favorite that I know of but 🤑

There is titanium and inconel 3d printing that is very cool

I'm also slow so I wouldn't mind that at all! 😂❤

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah titanium def has its own personality and tooling requirements but it's really cool.

Inconel might be my favorite that I know of but 🤑

There is titanium and inconel 3d printing that is very cool

I'm also slow so I wouldn't mind that at all! 😂❤
I've never used Inconel but during my aviation career I've done quite a few Boro's on big gas turbine engines inspecting the HPT Nozzle guide vanes which are Inconel. The NGVs are the hardest working part of a jet engine and even the Inconel blades take a hammering due to heat and load. Google some images of them. Lovely things, hollow with laser drilled cooling holes fed from the blade roots internally to provide a cooling shroud of air over the external surfaces of the blades. They are making them now with laser 3d printing I believe.
I've been telling people for 10 years that metal 3D printing will revolutionise the world of manufacturing if for no other reason the savings in storing raw stock and waste material and transporting waste material. A large percentage of machined parts material is wasted and although it can be recycled you need to transport and process it etc. I'm quite fascinated by 3D printing as it also changes the way parts are designed. Lots of things are designed with machining processes in mind but the extra dimension 3D gives you with the manufacturing means the design can focus more on the pure load carrying aspects and stress analysis. Turns out 3D designed parts look more organic than machined parts which makes sense. Very interesting stuff but I've not kept abreast of it as much as I should have in the last 5 years or so.
Phil

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've never used Inconel but during my aviation career I've done quite a few Boro's on big gas turbine engines inspecting the HPT Nozzle guide vanes which are Inconel. The NGVs are the hardest working part of a jet engine and even the Inconel blades take a hammering due to heat and load. Google some images of them. Lovely things, hollow with laser drilled cooling holes fed from the blade roots internally to provide a cooling shroud of air over the external surfaces of the blades. They are making them now with laser 3d printing I believe.
I've been telling people for 10 years that metal 3D printing will revolutionise the world of manufacturing if for no other reason the savings in storing raw stock and waste material and transporting waste material. A large percentage of machined parts material is wasted and although it can be recycled you need to transport and process it etc. I'm quite fascinated by 3D printing as it also changes the way parts are designed. Lots of things are designed with machining processes in mind but the extra dimension 3D gives you with the manufacturing means the design can focus more on the pure load carrying aspects and stress analysis. Turns out 3D designed parts look more organic than machined parts which makes sense. Very interesting stuff but I've not kept abreast of it as much as I should have in the last 5 years or so.
Phil
You end up having to think in 5D. We've trained ourselves to design within the constraints of the current process capabilities and 3d printing changes it all.

each method of course has limits but you can attain geometry that we just couldn't dream of before
Sponsored

Last edited: