OEM Turbo with T51R insert

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So to answer the question anyone not a ricer or into ricer things ask… Why? Because why not? Lol. We had the extra housing sitting around Speed Industry so thought may as well try it. I contacted T51R Mods on Facebook, he said sure I can do it. Sent the housing off and after a couple revisions to the insert Matt sent it back and I installed it. Those that may have never seen what our turbos look like with the intake piece may not know this, but the turbo inlet sets inside the turbo housing and butts up against a lip already there. Matt designed a piece that fits but leaves an air gap so no new inlet is required. This means it’s not quite a traditional T51R mod but the concept is the same. And if you wanted to buy say the pure turbo 3d printed Inlet Matt could do a traditional T51R insert.

Most common questions asked, yes you do have to pull the turbo back to get to one of the bolts, the top inside bolt that holds the housing on. The bottom bolt was easy enough to get to reaching around the front. I did not break any coolant or oil lines loose, I didn’t disconnect the downpipe but did unbolt it from the mount. You do of course have to remove the intake and disconnect the charge pipe. Over all for me being pretty mechanically inclined it took about a hour or so to swap housings and start it up. YMMV and a 6 Port may be much more difficult, but I will be sending another housing off to make sure it fits the 6 port on Speed Industry’s shop car. At that point they hope to have these in stock enough for a trade but that’s something still being worked on by Matt and SI. Right now it’s 2-3 week turn around time approximately.

Also this doesn’t help with performance, though the housing now has an anti surge added to it, it’s mainly for sound. Just a test piece as here soon I’ll have my GMS kit installed.

oh and this is loud, really loud. Only thing I think I’ve ever heard louder is big diesel truck turbos. So if you are not into hearing a whine when cruising on the highway, this isn’t for you.

9A90D2EA-93C9-45EA-B926-479E0D61DA9E.jpeg

B38F8946-FECF-4B18-A2AF-FB4DC41EF068.jpeg
Sponsored

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Love the sound!
Any estimation on cost?

OP
OP
gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Love the sound!
Any estimation on cost?
Honestly I’m not sure. I know him and SI are working something out, I believe before we did ours on a Black Friday special it was 375 plus the shipping to him, so roughly 400$. But when SI lists them I’m not sure how much cheaper they will be. Something they are working on.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Kinda sounds like a slide whistle at low RPM. Otherwise, the ricer side of me is digging it lol
If it worked as an anti-surge, that would be cool. If you could hear it at high RPM, that would also be cool.
Hearing it right off idle is throwing me off .. Not used to that.
PD here in CA would send me to the ref.

OP
OP
gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Kinda sounds like a slide whistle at low RPM. Otherwise, the ricer side of me is digging it lol
If it worked as an anti-surge, that would be cool. If you could hear it at high RPM, that would also be cool.
Right, I thought it was weird straight off idle also, I’m assuming it just because of how small the turbo is and spins fast and easy. I have some inside the cabin videos but they kinda suck. I need to grab my recorder and mics and do a proper drive so I can get what it’s like inside.

homest question since I lived in SoCal for years, I wonder what they could do. It’s not changing an emissions component, it’s just an insert, it would pass all CARB tests that I know of, except maybe how loud it is? Hmmm, glad I moved out of that state Lol

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Right, I thought it was weird straight off idle also, I’m assuming it just because of how small the turbo is and spins fast and easy. I have some inside the cabin videos but they kinda suck. I need to grab my recorder and mics and do a proper drive so I can get what it’s like inside.

homest question since I lived in SoCal for years, I wonder what they could do. It’s not changing an emissions component, it’s just an insert, it would pass all CARB tests that I know of, except maybe how loud it is? Hmmm, glad I moved out of that state Lol
You would get sent to the ref. It's a non-CARB exempt part installed between the air filter and cat.

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Pfff rice and I'm for it. Lol.

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
So to answer the question anyone not a ricer or into ricer things ask… Why? Because why not? Lol. We had the extra housing sitting around Speed Industry so thought may as well try it. I contacted T51R Mods on Facebook, he said sure I can do it. Sent the housing off and after a couple revisions to the insert Matt sent it back and I installed it. Those that may have never seen what our turbos look like with the intake piece may not know this, but the turbo inlet sets inside the turbo housing and butts up against a lip already there. Matt designed a piece that fits but leaves an air gap so no new inlet is required. This means it’s not quite a traditional T51R mod but the concept is the same. And if you wanted to buy say the pure turbo 3d printed Inlet Matt could do a traditional T51R insert.

Most common questions asked, yes you do have to pull the turbo back to get to one of the bolts, the top inside bolt that holds the housing on. The bottom bolt was easy enough to get to reaching around the front. I did not break any coolant or oil lines loose, I didn’t disconnect the downpipe but did unbolt it from the mount. You do of course have to remove the intake and disconnect the charge pipe. Over all for me being pretty mechanically inclined it took about a hour or so to swap housings and start it up. YMMV and a 6 Port may be much more difficult, but I will be sending another housing off to make sure it fits the 6 port on Speed Industry’s shop car. At that point they hope to have these in stock enough for a trade but that’s something still being worked on by Matt and SI. Right now it’s 2-3 week turn around time approximately.

Also this doesn’t help with performance, though the housing now has an anti surge added to it, it’s mainly for sound. Just a test piece as here soon I’ll have my GMS kit installed.

oh and this is loud, really loud. Only thing I think I’ve ever heard louder is big diesel truck turbos. So if you are not into hearing a whine when cruising on the highway, this isn’t for you.

9A90D2EA-93C9-45EA-B926-479E0D61DA9E.jpeg

B38F8946-FECF-4B18-A2AF-FB4DC41EF068.jpeg
Car looks great man

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
isn’t the stock housing already anti surge?

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
isn’t the stock housing already anti surge?
Not that I know of, but I could be mistaken. From what I've seen it's a standard inlet. The pictures I've found and the reading I've done shows that, anyway. I'd be impressed if OEM had a anti-surge cover.