Painting the stock rims ?

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Wow, that's high

I just got mine powder coated earlier this week for $600 including removing and remounting the tires, balancing, rebuilding TPMS, etc.
Howdy!

Where did you go if I may ask? I noticed the CO Temp tag. Figured I'd start shopping/hitting up shops now.

My Supra arrives 3/24 will be looking to powder coat till I can break the bank for some TE37 ?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Howdy!

Where did you go if I may ask? I noticed the CO Temp tag. Figured I'd start shopping/hitting up shops now.

My Supra arrives 3/24 will be looking to powder coat till I can break the bank for some TE37 ?
Aesthetic Creations in Englewood:

https://www.theaestheticcreations.com/

They were great to work with and the wheels still look the same now ~10 months later as they did when I picked them up. They even came in on the weekend to meet me so I didn’t have to take the day off of work to drive down there (since I live in Westminster and it’s a bit of a drive).

My only complaint is that they coated the inside of the hub centric ring which makes it a tight fit now, I needed to use a dead blow to knock the wheels off the hub the first few times I removed them. It’s pretty minor and I’m sure if you just mentioned it they wouldn’t mind masking it off.

tjk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
I've asked around a bit and looks like there are two ways of getting the paint on the wheels.

#1 takes just a day and the wheel pretty much gets sand-blasted & baked, then painted
#2 takes a few days as the wheels is stripped from paint in some chemicals

#2 is about 1.5x more expensive but is supposed to be a proper way of doing it.
Any experts on this here? Would you not trust #1?

Last edited:

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Nice to see other colors than basic black.
I have to say that bare silver looks great.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Nice to see other colors than basic black.
I have to say that bare silver looks great.
I'm going to try the dipyourwheels thang... figure what can it hurt?!? Already bought my Apex wheels, these are just extra wheels at this point, I can pick multiple colors, peel it off, try it again and most importantly, coverup that gawd awful chrome 😖

Reactions: kaj

Drvanloo

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I'm going to try the dipyourwheels thang... figure what can it hurt?!? Already bought my Apex wheels, these are just extra wheels at this point, I can pick multiple colors, peel it off, try it again and most importantly, coverup that gawd awful chrome 😖
Try Superwrap! They have a ton of colors and I believe they have a better gloss (if that is what you're going for) than hyper dip. Either way, I love mine so far. Also peelable as it is a sprayable vinyl.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Try Superwrap! They have a ton of colors and I believe they have a better gloss (if that is what you're going for) than hyper dip. Either way, I love mine so far. Also peelable as it is a sprayable vinyl.
I already got the Hyperdip box sitting in my garage. I have Phantom matte grey car but will try out that brand 4sho and compare. Thx man!

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
Did they happen to say how they did it?
Just using paint/powder stripper. Could also media blast it. Both are commonplace at powder coating facilities - usually a step 1 before powder coating. The person who posted that picture actually had stripped it before powder coating and liked how it looked so kept it as-is.

Be careful using stripper though, one person's shop left it in the stripper for too long (overnight?) and actually deteriorated through many sections of the wheel - permanently destroyed and pitted the wheel.

You can also mechanically polish or machine/brush the wheels after and then clear coat it to preserve the look and make it easier to maintain.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah, that definitely doesn't look media blasted unless it was polished out after. I'll have to strip mine and see how they look.