Stop the creak or rattle coming from near the infotainment screen or center speakers

Did this guide help you fix your issue?

• Total voters

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Today I fixed an annoying creaking and rattling sound coming from near my infotainment screen.

This guide on how to fix the annoying sound can be, diagnosed as caused by 2 parts: The infotainment screen and the metal parts used in the plastic speaker grill.

If you wish to verify if at least some, if not all, of the annoying sounds come from the infotainment screen itself, then try the following:
- Drive around on a bumpy road. Slow driving on a road made of paver stones did the trick for me.
- Slightly press the infotainment screen up from either the left or right bottom corner.
- If the sound goes away, you are most likely fixing the sound by only doing part 1 of this guide

Part 2 of this guide can be done directly after part 1 and is recommended if you want to take extra measures in fixing the rattle.

Please take notice of the showcase audioclip and video of both parts to make sure if you have the same issue (or variance of it).

Hope this guide will fix the same issue you might be having! Feel free to fill in the poll and comment below if this helped you or not.

Things you need:
- Plastic pry tool(s)
- Torx T20 screwdriver (part 1)
- Black velvet tape (part 1)
- Soft foam (can be any color as it is an invisible fix) (part 2)

Part 1:

Showcase of the issue (audioclip):

Time to fix:
Approx. 15min​

Before starting. I highly recommend you first find a road you can safely reproduce this rattle on. This makes verification of the fix more certain.

1. Gently pry open the plastic speaker trim behind the display. Some leverage/force might be needed to get the first push pin pulled out. I noticed it was easier to pry it open from any corner closest to the infotainment screen. I pried open 1 side after which I went to the other side.
Important: Pry it open from both sides and don't just tug it off from one side, as that might break clips/hooks.
IMG_20231029_100854.jpg

2. Remove the 2 torx T20 bolts from behind the infotainment screen

3. Pull up the infotainment screen and gently fold it back. There should be enough margin of freedom to have the screen gently rest on the metal parts behind.

IMG_20231029_103935.jpg

4. Tape your velvet tape in the same spots I placed it. Doesn't have to match exact.
Please note: On the picture there are 2 colors of velvet tape. At first I used a brown one because I thought it was invisible, but black is recommended as it might be a tiny bit visible on the sides, hence you see 2 black velvet tapes on the picture.

IMG_20231029_111229.jpg

5. Place the infotainment screen back into the guiding slots and screw the T20 bolts back into place. Screw in the T20 bolts tight. Do not over tighten! I used a screwdriver but a ratchet might easily over tighten them. Use common sense ;)

6. Important: Drive around without speaker grill attached.
Look for roads that are not that well maintained. Near my place there was a road with paver stones. Hopefully the rattle has been fixed. If you still hear it. It is likely something else that this guide does not mention. You might start hearing a rattle again IF you reinstall the plastic speaker grill now. That is why there is a part 2 of this guide. Follow it to have a bigger chance of stopping rattles after re-installation.

Part 2:
Showcase of the issue (video):

Time to fix:
Approx. 10min​

Make sure you've followed part 1, step 1 first. Now you can proceed with part 2.

1. Inspect the speaker grill assembly and check out if you notice the same creaking/rattling as shown in the showcase video above.

2. Pry the metal plate with the 2 hooks open and jam some foam into the center of both halves. Make sure the foam is not too thick as it might crack the plastic near the pop rivets.

3. Make an incision in your foam and put the foam, as a sort of sock, over the metal hooks. Make sure there is enough foam to wrap around the hook.

4. Verify that all tiny speaker grill tabs are pushed into the factory speaker foam. Your speaker grill should look a bit like this now:

speaker grill.jpg

5. Install the speaker grill again. Make sure you place the hooks with foam, at an angle, under the display first. Then press it into the dashboard clips again.

Enjoy your silent infotainment screen. Pure bliss 👏
Sponsored

Last edited:

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
Nice write up!

Is this the creek that appears to happen between the seam of behind the center info display and the trip piece that buds up against it? (like directly under the rear view mirror behind the screen?)

OP
OP
B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice write up!

Is this the creek that appears to happen between the seam of behind the center info display and the trip piece that buds up against it? (like directly under the rear view mirror behind the screen?)
Yes. It was at first. It however seems the issue came back.

So I might need to have another go at fixing this and rewriting this guide.

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
It only happens to me in comfort at low RPMS, in sport I never hear it. Let us know what you figure out man!

OP
OP
B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
any updates on this ?
Nope. Still have to find the time to disassemble and look for a fix. Maybe this weekend.

A possible fix that crossed my mind, is some kind of velvet tape/foam underneath the screen on the dashboard. Because it seems that when I push up the screen a little bit (by thumb), the creaking/rattle stops.

OP
OP
B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This guide has been updated. Good luck fixing!

OP
OP
B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Updated this guide a second time as I provided some illogical decision making in the previous version.

dn00

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI, A90
Seems to substantially reduce the creaking. I used weather stripping foam and added some where the speaker grill pushes down on the screen.
Sponsored