A not-crazy-loud catback exhaust that keeps the OEM valve?

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
In all my research, it sure seems like a lot of the exhausts out there (for the 3.0) seem to repeat some of the same patterns:
  • They take you from a very quiet OEM setup to a very loud aftermarket one, with not much in-between.
  • They omit the OEM valve, or if they do keep it...
  • ..there's not a ton of difference between valve open and valve closed.
What I'm really after is maintaining the nice and quiet OEM experience with the valve closed, and getting something a good bit rowdier than OEM with the valve open - but not to the extent that everyone in town hates me. I like my neighbors. I want something I can hear pretty well inside the car with the electronic engine sound nonsense disabled via Bimmercode, but no need to go above and beyond that.

I'm coming to the Supra from five years of GT350 ownership with the factory active exhaust, which really has me spoiled. With the valves closed on that car, it's almost as quiet as the Supra is. Valves open, it's a party but it won't blow your eardrums out. Very Jekyll and Hyde - perfect!

I should mention that I have pretty much ruled out a downpipe, I'm not interested in more power and I also don't really want to play games with the warranty. I'll likely get an extended warranty soon as I'm considering keeping this car for quite a while.

Also, whatever I get has to be compatible with the manual trans. If not now, then something hopefully in the works. I've conversed back and forth with aFe a little bit and it seems like an option for MT cars will be in the works once they can get their hands on one in CA.
Sponsored

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
HKS
Akrapovic
Apexi
ARK
Armytrix
SARD
TRD

All use the OEM valve and are high quality. The TRD will be great for that warranty with the pickiest dealerships, but it is probably the smallest difference from stock of the options, and costs $4k or so.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Look into the AFE Takeda, retains OEM valve, reasonably priced & not loud. I know you mentioned it but from your post seems like the best option so i'd keep following up w/ them

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Borla is a good option in my opinion. Akrapovics probably the best but most expensive.

A lot of exhausts fit into that category and we have them all in stock.

-Josh

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
SHS, just installed mine and it’s sounds pretty much stock valves open with the valves closed (I have an Aa catted dp which is an epa legal catted dp and no warranty issues with that or Cel. and with them open a nice deep sound that’s a decent bit louder then stock and more exotic sounding. Retains Oem valve and function and all made in usa. Inside video is with ASD disabled.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I have a bunch of posts around my Injen setup. With the stock downpipe comfort mode is slightly louder than OEM. Sport mode is much louder with a little drone. Pops and bangs are more booms and rumbles now. Will install my catted AA dp and posts more clips.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
In all my research, it sure seems like a lot of the exhausts out there (for the 3.0) seem to repeat some of the same patterns:
  • They take you from a very quiet OEM setup to a very loud aftermarket one, with not much in-between.
  • They omit the OEM valve, or if they do keep it...
  • ..there's not a ton of difference between valve open and valve closed.
What I'm really after is maintaining the nice and quiet OEM experience with the valve closed, and getting something a good bit rowdier than OEM with the valve open - but not to the extent that everyone in town hates me. I like my neighbors. I want something I can hear pretty well inside the car with the electronic engine sound nonsense disabled via Bimmercode, but no need to go above and beyond that.

I'm coming to the Supra from five years of GT350 ownership with the factory active exhaust, which really has me spoiled. With the valves closed on that car, it's almost as quiet as the Supra is. Valves open, it's a party but it won't blow your eardrums out. Very Jekyll and Hyde - perfect!

I should mention that I have pretty much ruled out a downpipe, I'm not interested in more power and I also don't really want to play games with the warranty. I'll likely get an extended warranty soon as I'm considering keeping this car for quite a while.

Also, whatever I get has to be compatible with the manual trans. If not now, then something hopefully in the works. I've conversed back and forth with aFe a little bit and it seems like an option for MT cars will be in the works once they can get their hands on one in CA.
I don't have one yet, but from what I've read and heard IRL (sample of one) the HKS fits your bill pretty well.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
If you wanted valved the best is valvetronic designs. It's a dual valve system that is quiet like the stock system closed but once u open it its basically straight pipe with a muffler bypass. I love my AWE touring resonated but if I was someone that wanted that level of loud with valves valetronic designs is the way.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
I don't have one yet, but from what I've read and heard IRL (sample of one) the HKS fits your bill pretty well.
Okay riddle me this about the HKS setup because it's been brought up repeatedly - maybe I'm just looking at pictures and not seeing what's going on. It looks to me an awful lot like the piping is the exact same after the Y on both the valved and non-valved side.

1680278082198.png

So if that's true, what difference are you getting in sound aside from the changes in the engine map to turn up the pops and burbles? Is the valve not just there to keep the car's ECU happy?

When that valve closes, I actually want it to do something. On the GT350, it may as well have been a mute button. You'd never know how loud the car could get when you were cruising the interstate at 75mph in 6th.

ETA: contrast the HKS design to the aFe Takeda, which looks a lot more like it will do what I want:

1680278374997.png

Only problem with the aFe is they state it's not currently compatible with manual Supras.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Okay riddle me this about the HKS setup because it's been brought up repeatedly - maybe I'm just looking at pictures and not seeing what's going on. It looks to me an awful lot like the piping is the exact same after the Y on both the valved and non-valved side.

1680278082198.png

So if that's true, what difference are you getting in sound aside from the changes in the engine map to turn up the pops and burbles? Is the valve not just there to keep the car's ECU happy?

When that valve closes, I actually want it to do something. On the GT350, it may as well have been a mute button. You'd never know how loud the car could get when you were cruising the interstate at 75mph in 6th.

ETA: contrast the HKS design to the aFe Takeda, which looks a lot more like it will do what I want:

1680278374997.png

Only problem with the aFe is they state it's not currently compatible with manual Supras.
You can disconnect the valve and ecu won't throw an CEL. All valve options just replicate what the stock one does. Closed in comfort mode and open in sport mode.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

1680278082198.png

1680278374997.png

Probably more material in the stock vs hks. I've never cut my hks open but it sounds different.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

1680278374997.png

The manual gearbox is actually smaller than the auto, so one wouldn't think it's a clearance issue, but you're right in terms of them clearly stating it doesn't fit the MT. Bummer.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
HKS
Akrapovic
Apexi
ARK
Armytrix
SARD
TRD

All use the OEM valve and are high quality. The TRD will be great for that warranty with the pickiest dealerships, but it is probably the smallest difference from stock of the options, and costs $4k or so.
  • HKS - looks like both sides are identical. What's the point of keeping the valve?
  • Akrapovic - not interested in paying the titanium tax or dropping any weight really.
  • Apexi - this looks like the HKS, where both sides are identical.
  • ARK - the design of this exhaust (the DTS) looks absolutely bizarre to me. There's what looks to be a straight-through path on the non-valved side. Is that a fake straight pipe? I just don't get it.
  • Armytrix - their video shows this relying on some weird fob to change the valve, I just want it to change with the sport button.
  • SARD - hooooooooly moly is that a titanium tax. Am I seeing that right? $7000 US?
  • TRD - titanium prices for steel pipes.
  • Borla - you didn't mention this one but I'll add it: I don't care for black tips and I've heard the tips on this model tend to discolor quickly. I'd rather just have some clean stainless tips that I can polish up every now and then. Low maintenance. I do like the design and wish they'd come out with a model with normal tips, I've had Borla exhaust before and they seem to make good quality stuff.
The manual gearbox is actually smaller than the auto, so one wouldn't think it's a clearance issue, but you're right in terms of them clearly stating it doesn't fit the MT. Bummer.
Sounds like it's a bracket/hangar issue.
Sponsored