Best Value Street Tires?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
I’m on the brink of wearing out my rear 295 Michelin PSSs from doing Supra stuff on the street.

Discount tire has them at $459/ea. I think I just paid like $319/ea. 10 months ago. (edit: I paid $415/ea. I guess I’m just whining.)

I was thinking I could a) replace them with two more PSSs, b) switch to Continental ExtremeContact Sports all around, or c) consult the internet to find the best value street tire that doesn’t break the bank from sliding around too much.

Any input?

Also, probably a stupid question, but if my front PSSs are in good shape, is there any harm in running continentals on the rear? My understanding is that as long as left-and-right are the same, fronts and rears can be different. I did this all the time on my drift car but not trying to make any unnecessary compromises on the Supra. (Yes I googled, but I want our community’s opinion, too.)

I plan on spirited driving on the street and rolls. I don’t want to sweat the FL rain. Not worried about regular track performance for this purchase (maybe 1-2x in the next year).

Bonus points if they have nice square sidewalls. 295 PSSs are still a little stretched in the rear on 10.5” width 57CRs.

UPDATE: Apex has some nice recommendations at the different tiers. https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260802325669-GR-Supra-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide
Sponsored

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I’m on the brink of wearing out my rear 295 Michelin PSSs from doing Supra stuff on the street.

Discount tire has them at $459/ea. I think I just paid like $319/ea. 10 months ago.

I was thinking I could a) replace them with two more PSSs, b) switch to Continental ExtremeContact Sports all around, or c) consult the internet to find the best value street tire that doesn’t break the bank from sliding around too much.

Any input?

Also, probably a stupid question, but if my front PSSs are in good shape, is there any harm in running continentals on the rear? My understanding is that as long as left-and-right are the same, fronts and rears can be different. I did this all the time on my drift car but not trying to make any unnecessary compromises on the Supra. (Yes I googled, but I want our community’s opinion, too.)

I plan on spirited driving on the street and rolls. I don’t want to sweat the FL rain. Not worried about regular track performance for this purchase.

Bonus points if they have nice square sidewalls. 295 PSSs are still a little stretched in the rear on 10.5” width 57CRs.
Definitely try them. As long as they are both the same in the rear (treadwear and brand), should be good to go.

This is what I like to run in town and year round on all our cars:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&frontTire=535WR9FHI5XL&rearTire=735WR9FHI5XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2022&autoModel=GR Supra 3.0&autoModClar=Premium, Red Brakes

Great tires for the price! Everyone instantly sees the 340 treadwear and thinks it‘s a crap tire. The treadwear is completely deceiving. I totally agree with the reviews. Yes everyone will tell you to buy a 200 tread wear tire. But you will sacrifice grip during our seasonal Florida subtropic god of thunder full force monsoon 6 months of rain. I’m currently running on a 100 tread wear Maxxis tire (that I love) and only me or my wife drive on them, in my family, during track season (dry season) here in SWFL. In May, I’ll switch back to my stock wheels and these Firehawks tires. If I wasn’t tracking, or being lazy, I’d slap these puppies back on in a heartbeat.

Side note: It‘s funny to see peeps unknown to real subtropic weather and try driving in our rain 😂. You know what I’m talking about. The flashers go on I-75, which they’re not supposed to do, but they’re in total panic, do we pull over? do we keep driving? oh shit, just put on the hazard lights and keep driving, slower than the highway minimum (maybe that’s why they’re posted everywhere on our highways). So I hear ya brother. Don’t care how good you are driving on slicks on track. I’d be crapping my pants trying to get around on a 200tw or less on Tampa highways. Could you imagine trying that on I-4 😱 😆? Probably why I-4 is always in the top 5 death 💀 rated highways in the USA.

Last edited:

MVJ1975

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0
I like the DWS Conti but haven’t ran them on the Supra. I installed them on my SRT Jeep and they perform very well.
I've got them on mine, in 265/35/19 (front) and 285/35/19 (rear) sizing. They're great. The sidewall stiffness on the DWS06+ is an improvement over the DWS06. They aren't going to have the dry grip of a pure summer, but are perhaps a little better in the wet than the OEM MPSS, and you can drive on light snow (carefully). I wouldn't use them for track days, but they're an excellent all-weather street tire. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4AS should be good as well - and perhaps a little "sportier".

Fuji808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal Supra Premium
I just put on a new set of wheels and tires.
new michelin PS4S is waaaay better than the stock PSS.
my rear doesn't fishtail anymore.
in the rain, they grip very, very well too.
imo, you should get the best tires that you can afford...your car and life's at stake.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
I’m personally keeping the OEM wheels since i had them refinished but in spring i plan on upgrading to Nitto 555rii 285 in the rear and 555G2 265 in the front. I’ve heard the hook really well

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
PS4S has my vote but only because I don't have experience with Continentals.

Mixing tires front and rear seems OK here. I ran Cup2s and PSS for a little while before I got a full set of Cup2s.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I always run Nittos. Dont ask me for a scientific answer why. Once my OEM rubber wears out or I put new boots on it I'm going to put on some INVOS. I love the whole NT series but the vette was basically undrivable in the wet so I dont want that problem with this car.

Im a sucker for a smooth sidewall

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I always run Nittos. Dont ask me for a scientific answer why. Once my OEM rubber wears out or I put new boots on it I'm going to put on some INVOS. I love the whole NT series but the vette was basically undrivable in the wet so I dont want that problem with this car.

Im a sucker for a smooth sidewall
I really love those too for a good summer (winter down here) tire! If that makes sense lol. Do they even come in our OEM wheel size?

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
I use a set of yokohoma adven apex v601s as street and wet track tire and have lot of fun on these, not recommended for dry track days

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I agree with the Conti DWS 06+ I have a set on a second set of set of rims for when the temps start staying below 40f regularly. Not going to hold up to a launch like a good set of summers will but will stick well enough even when cold, and you can get around in some light snow without too much hassle.

Al.B

First Name
Alin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Firestone Indy500 -great dry grip and good wet grip

Falken FK510- good dry grip and great wet grip

it rains here a lot so will likely go with the Falken next.

I’ve ran both before and love both. Don’t get me wrong, MP4S is king but these are almost as good for significantly cheaper.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I really love those too for a good summer (winter down here) tire! If that makes sense lol. Do they even come in our OEM wheel size?
I believe they do. INVOS are offered in the same sizes as the OE tires. I've found that the rears on some of my vehicles are more tricky but usual I go wider regardless. Somehow they've made a high performance dry tire with possibly even better wet performance. And its QUIET.
Sponsored