Changed my cabin air filter today... šŸ˜³šŸ¤¬šŸ˜³

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Lay a folded bath towel over the door sill before laying your precious ribs on it. Or suffer bruising as I didā€¦ Or I guess another options is to think that filters are a govt. conspiracy šŸ˜†
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I understand your point but let me ask this, have you also never changed the filter in the HVAC system of your house? Opening windows, opening doors to enter and leave creates the same result as youā€™re describing with a car.
I do. However, I absolutely do not change them every 30 days as is ā€œrecommendedā€. Again, another gimmick to make more money selling filters. I change mine once a year at Christmas time. I do the filters and smoke detector batteries together since itā€™s easier to remember. And hereā€™s the thing, based on how dirty (actually how not dirty) they are, Iā€™d bet I could go many many years never changing them before theyā€™d clog enough to actually make a difference. The other difference is the hvac in a house runs significantly more hours than a cars does. Depending on climate, a home heat or air system could damn near run constantly a lot of the year whereas some days we donā€™t drive our cars at all. In other words, it might realistically take 10 years (just a guess) in a car to run the hvac as many hours as a house system does in a year. Finally, there was a time, not that long ago, when cars did not have a cabin air filter. Iā€™m old enough that I drove quite a few of them and for many many years and upwards of 150 to 200000 miles with zero problems. The air was the same then as it is know. Just my opinion based on life experiences.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I do. However, I absolutely do not change them every 30 days as is ā€œrecommendedā€. Again, another gimmick to make more money selling filters. I change mine once a year at Christmas time. I do the filters and smoke detector batteries together since itā€™s easier to remember. And hereā€™s the thing, based on how dirty (actually how not dirty) they are, Iā€™d bet I could go many many years never changing them before theyā€™d clog enough to actually make a difference. The other difference is the hvac in a house runs significantly more hours than a cars does. Depending on climate, a home heat or air system could damn near run constantly a lot of the year whereas some days we donā€™t drive our cars at all. In other words, it might realistically take 10 years (just a guess) in a car to run the hvac as many hours as a house system does in a year. Finally, there was a time, not that long ago, when cars did not have a cabin air filter. Iā€™m old enough that I drove quite a few of them and for many many years and upwards of 150 to 200000 miles with zero problems. The air was the same then as it is know. Just my opinion based on life experiences.
And typically the dirtier a filter is the better it does at, well, filtering.

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
Obviously you don't have 3 cats like us which requires me to change all 3 of my HVAC filters twice a year. šŸ˜¤

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
I feel like home HVAC filters are supposed to be changed every 6 months, not 1 monthā€¦. I do it yearly.

Also, I think youā€™re underestimating the volume of air your car HVAC pumps through the cabin. I bet it fully exchanges the air in the cabin pretty frequently even on a lower blower setting. Yes, you open the doors often, but I bet that your HVAC filter is filtering likeā€¦at least 90% of the volume of air going through your cabin, not 1%ā€¦ All depends on the amount you drive, of course, but I think cabin air filters are a huge benefit to air quality and health, allergies, etc. And we probably donā€™t have to guess - Iā€™m sure there are plenty of studies evaluating the same which has led to the ubiquitiousnous of cabin air filters. And I change mine about every 2 years - NBD, it just makes my little wimpy side ribs bruised on the Supra šŸ„ŗ

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I feel like home HVAC filters are supposed to be changed every 6 months, not 1 monthā€¦. I do it yearly.

Also, I think youā€™re underestimating the volume of air your car HVAC pumps through the cabin. I bet it fully exchanges the air in the cabin pretty frequently even on a lower blower setting. Yes, you open the doors often, but I bet that your HVAC filter is filtering likeā€¦at least 90% of the volume of air going through your cabin, not 1%ā€¦ All depends on the amount you drive, of course, but I think cabin air filters are a huge benefit to air quality and health, allergies, etc. And we probably donā€™t have to guess - Iā€™m sure there are plenty of studies evaluating the same which has led to the ubiquitiousnous of cabin air filters. And I change mine about every 2 years - NBD, it just makes my little wimpy side ribs bruised on the Supra šŸ„ŗ
Or, just putting this out there. The profit margins in cabin air filters drove studies that demonstrate ā€œimproved air qualityā€. Iā€™m sure my cabin filter removes some stuff. Iā€™m also 100% sure when I step out of my car, no matter how many hours Iā€™ve been driving and how many time the air has been turned over, I cannot tell even the slightest difference from the unfiltered outside air. Again, just my opinion but I think cabin air filters are a profit center gimmick. Kinda how Jiffy Lube says you gotta change that oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. Of course they do. And Toyota says you gotta change that cabin filter. And weā€™ll be happy to charge you a huge margin on it as well as an hours labor. Of course they do!

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I wished I had a cabin filter that got rid of unburned hydrocarbons coming from big-cammed cars in front of me during the 70s and 80s.

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Or, just putting this out there. The profit margins in cabin air filters drove studies that demonstrate ā€œimproved air qualityā€. Iā€™m sure my cabin filter removes some stuff. Iā€™m also 100% sure when I step out of my car, no matter how many hours Iā€™ve been driving and how many time the air has been turned over, I cannot tell even the slightest difference from the unfiltered outside air. Again, just my opinion but I think cabin air filters are a profit center gimmick. Kinda how Jiffy Lube says you gotta change that oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. Of course they do. And Toyota says you gotta change that cabin filter. And weā€™ll be happy to charge you a huge margin on it as well as an hours labor. Of course they do!
Wait, you donā€™t wear a mask to filter outside air!?!!??!

All fair points, btw.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Everything depends on where you drive, what you can tolerate, no one person or driving environment is the same. Most the time my AC points directly right at me. The way my schweaty ass likes it. Last thing I want is the majority of the air blowing bug guts and other dust mite šŸ’© on me. We all can tolerate some. But after a while, no thanksā€¦.

1715425399762-55.jpg

1715425106457-kt.jpg

If I have the choice to buy a cheap filter online & change it, Iā€™ll do it.

However, you are right. On the flip side, like everything, they will over do it and people will charge hundreds of dollars to change them. Hence this great post on how to contort yourself, maybe even take out the seat and save a few bucks šŸ¤‘

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew4Supra

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
To aid those on the cost fence ... the filter is about $30 at the dealer.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
To aid those on the cost fence ... the filter is about $30 at the dealer.
Damn thatā€™s cheap! Or could get one that even says Premium on the box for under $17 šŸ˜‚

IMG_2438.jpeg

I do get the point of diminishing returns. Changing it monthly would be stupid. Annually for me yields a pretty dirty looking filter. So thatā€™s when I change ours.
Sponsored