Coolant issue

Gappuccino58

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Premium
Looking to see if anyone has had a similar problem and was wondering if these signs all point to blown head gasket.

3 days ago I was driving, I came to a complete stop and noticed a lot of white smoke coming out from the exhuast. I just started the car and probably drove like 5 miles. The next day, it happened again, same scenario, drove a few miles, came to a complete stop, white smoke but not as much as the first time. Hasn't happened since then. I checked my coolant and this is what I saw. A little while back, I had a low coolant warning, topped it off and it went away and hasn't came back since.

Coolant resovior is low and the overflow resovior is at at the max level with crusting on the cap and leaking on the side.

20230331_112058.jpg

20230331_112115.jpg

20230331_112154.jpg

20230331_112248.jpg

VideoCapture_20230331-175621.jpg
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Looking to see if anyone has had a similar problem and was wondering if these signs all point to blown head gasket.

3 days ago I was driving, I came to a complete stop and noticed a lot of white smoke coming out from the exhuast. I just started the car and probably drove like 5 miles. The next day, it happened again, same scenario, drove a few miles, came to a complete stop, white smoke but not as much as the first time. Hasn't happened since then. I checked my coolant and this is what I saw. A little while back, I had a low coolant warning, topped it off and it went away and hasn't came back since.

Coolant resovior is low and the overflow resovior is at at the max level with crusting on the cap and leaking on the side.
Sorry this happened to you! Hopefully not a head gasket šŸ˜± I havenā€™t had this with the Supra butā€¦. Many other cars Iā€™ve owned have spewed coolant due to a faulty cap. Iā€™ve replaced the cap myself and other times took the car to the dealer & ended up with them replacing the whole damn reservoir. If still under warranty, itā€™s worth taking it to your local dealer. Otherwise new OEM or better cap for sure.

Thanks for the pic of the max indicator piece. Iā€™ll definitely be checking mine!

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
if under 36k miles, it's under warranty

Toysupra20

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota supra
Same issue 2020 MKV with 16k miles! I did some research and it looks to be coming a common problem and no one seems to know exactly whatā€™s causing the problem. Car was checked by both BMW and Toyota techniciansā€¦ one tec did a pressure test and coolant flush and the other BMW tec replaced the expansion tank and cap but problem continues.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Same issue 2020 MKV with 16k miles! I did some research and it looks to be coming a common problem and no one seems to know exactly whatā€™s causing the problem. Car was checked by both BMW and Toyota techniciansā€¦ one tec did a pressure test and coolant flush and the other BMW tec replaced the expansion tank and cap but problem continues.
Iā€™d give Turner Motorsports a call. They are very helpful with our BMW and the B58 engine in particular

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-362940-schwaben-coolant-refillair-purge-tool/

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-about

Good bunch. Theyā€™ve been really helpful to BMW tracks buddies on a WhatsApp group Iā€™m on. Hit them up during business hours.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

Very likely blown headgasket.