Formula 1 Talk

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Wife wanted to watch the old drive to survive series again 🤦🏼‍♂️ We’re up to the 2020 season. Having Covid flashbacks. But I will say, it’s interesting listening to Christian Horner talk about Max, knowing what we all do now. He kept saying he hasn’t seen anyone like him. Unless Netflix went back and edited it, Christian was obsessed with Max. He was also able to sort out the noise and use self reasoning with Covid better than others. Williams was ready for any excuse to wrap themselves up in bubble wrap. Lewis saw a PR opportunity and jumped all over it - biggest proponent to stop racing. Maybe he could see Max rising as well?

Just mentioning it because it really showcased Christian’s tenacity in the sport and his resolve. He’s by far the best principle imo. What a class act and he sure seemed to have the foresight to speak so boldly of Max (at least in the Netflix series interviews).

No more Checo bashing. I’ll save that for the English Mohawk guy. Reminds me to lookup and see if he has another video out. Love that guy! 😂
Love RPM!

I've said it before, I haven't seen anyone like Max since Senna. Maybe ever. I've been following him since F3, and even then he was incredible. Only losing the title because of reliability. He had more wins than Ocon. In the beginning he was impatient, made some beginner mistakes, but he learned from it, calmed down a bit, and he's become the complete package. He can win from anywhere on the grid, he's even faster in the rain, as long as he has equipment half capable of competing for wins, he will do so.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I also remember Max from as early as F3 days. Lots of people were saying they were expecting extraordinary things from this guy. I wish I could find more detail. Even now, it would be cool to go back and see what things they were noticing and then compared to how he turned out.
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a fan of Max. I do root for him and the team. I like how he drives. No matter what, though, I have to recognize how well he's adapted to that car and made it work.
Not many people can be tossed into a car that's built a focus of all out speed, and make it work. That thing surely is a handful to drive and a few people could master it.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Wife wanted to watch the old drive to survive series again 🤦🏼‍♂️ We’re up to the 2020 season. Having Covid flashbacks. But I will say, it’s interesting listening to Christian Horner talk about Max, knowing what we all do now. He kept saying he hasn’t seen anyone like him. Unless Netflix went back and edited it, Christian was obsessed with Max. He was also able to sort out the noise and use self reasoning with Covid better than others. Williams was ready for any excuse to wrap themselves up in bubble wrap. Lewis saw a PR opportunity and jumped all over it - biggest proponent to stop racing. Maybe he could see Max rising as well?

Just mentioning it because it really showcased Christian’s tenacity in the sport and his resolve. He’s by far the best principle imo. What a class act and he sure seemed to have the foresight to speak so boldly of Max (at least in the Netflix series interviews).

No more Checo bashing. I’ll save that for the English Mohawk guy. Reminds me to lookup and see if he has another video out. Love that guy! 😂
I feel like the more that you comment on Max and RB, the more you have been watching the last two seasons, the more you seem to be blindly favouring those people. You aren’t at the point where you don’t criticize them, but you seem to be going that direction.

I myself am not a big fan of Max, he’s an excellent driver, definitely on the path to being in the conversation as a GOAT. But if you take away his driving this season, and just focus on his conversations and how he treats others, especially when things aren’t going his way, he really rubs me the wrong way. That being said, a lot of incredibly successful people are pieces of crap human beings.

He has been much better this season…but I attribute that mostly to how little he has struggled. If you go back the previous two seasons, how he treated his pit crew, his teammate, and his driving when next to Lewis, he was a much different person. That being said, no driver is perfect, even my favourite driver likes to break others trophies.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
"But it was Max's so it doesn't matter"
How did you break it?
"Happily"

Lando is a treasure.

Last edited:

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
I also remember Max from as early as F3 days. Lots of people were saying they were expecting extraordinary things from this guy. I wish I could find more detail. Even now, it would be cool to go back and see what things they were noticing and then compared to how he turned out.
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a fan of Max. I do root for him and the team. I like how he drives. No matter what, though, I have to recognize how well he's adapted to that car and made it work.
Not many people can be tossed into a car that's built a focus of all out speed, and make it work. That thing surely is a handful to drive and a few people could master it.
Do you think he got so good because of his father’s coaching or is it just natural talent?

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Do you think he got so good because of his father’s coaching or is it just natural talent?
"Natural talent"....? What would that even mean? No this is mostly due to hard work, opportunity, coaching, and a general desire from Max to be the best. Does his dad deserve a lot of credit, of course, without his guidance, direction, connections, and money he would not be where he is today. But it still takes a special person to have the dedication and desire to get to where he is. This wasn't some kind of easy journey for him, a lot of work, a lot of sweat and tears. No one is born and is genetically able to step into a race car and succeed.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
A little of one, a ton of the other. Some people "get it", others don't. You can't be taught to be a champion, you have to have it and you already. That person can be coached to reach that level, though.
Nobody's ever going to take an average person who doesn't have a natural ability and turn them into a Formula 1 champion.
Unfortunately for all of us lol
Personally speaking, I've never had any formal training but I'm a better driver than some people I know that have. I'm lucky enough to have some natural ability to understand what the car is doing.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I see it in my profession every day. 40 year vets who still can't back a semi to save their life, and rookies who will do it with their eyes closed.
"Natural Talent" is the base they build from. It's a touch that if you don't have it, you'll never get. No matter how hard you train.
Guys like Max get in a car, and it becomes an extension of themselves.
Guys like, Lance Stroll, get in the same car, but can't get within a second of guys like Max (or Fernando) the difference is talent.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
can't back a semi to save their life
Man, I was watching someone load a Ferry with semi trailers a few weeks ago, motherfucker was just hooking them up and hi-speed reversing them onto a ferry and down its deck.

I couldn't help but think how much damage I would've done to ferry, trailer, and little truck if I were in their position...

Oh... and I too also think that your brain just needs to be wired a certain way to get the most out of anything that you do...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Man, I was watching someone load a Ferry with semi trailers a few weeks ago, motherfucker was just hooking them up and hi-speed reversing them onto a ferry and down its deck.

I couldn't help but think how much damage I would've done to ferry, trailer, and little truck if I were in their position...

Oh... and I too also think that your brain just needs to be wired a certain way to get the most out of anything that you do...
Yup! It's a feel that you have, or don't have. And you can tell instantly if someone does or not. I've trained a lot of new drivers, and some take 20 minutes to get into a difficult dock, others take 2.
Best I can describe it for myself is, when I pull up to a place, I see the picture of "that's how the trailer(s) are going to go" in my head before I do it. It's instinct, talent, whatever you want to call it. When I explain it to trainees, some think I'm speaking Chinese, others say "got it" and do it. With training and experience it gets easier and smoother of course, but they have the base idea immediately.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
Some have natural talent and any level of talent can be developed. The greatest players in the game have an abundance of both. No amountof practice will ever get you to the highest levels in any sport if you don't also have exceptional aptitude.

I used to be a very good x-country runner and I worked incredibly hard in training. I peaked at the national level and saw people who I would never beat no matter how hard or long I trained.

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Don't downplay the fact the Max's mom is an extremely talented racer in her own right.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Funny thing is, when they were young, Max's sister was even quicker than him. Imagine if she would have kept interest.
Great points! I could finger paint for years and never be a van Gogh. Very few people have that kind of inherent talent.

What surprises me is how he has learned how to dial down his anger and quickly get back to what he does best. Are you listening Yuki, lol. Sure he’s not as personable as Lewis or my fav Lando, on camera. Neither was Mike Tyson back in the day. But I sure am getting spoiled now watching him ride off into the sunset breaking records. I hope he doesn’t stop anytime soon!

Anyone hear/watch the FIA press conference? Lando was asked if he could have challenged Max if he had started out up front? He flat out, dead serious, answered “No”. Without hesitation. It was like 12 minutes in. The respect these guys are throwing Max’s way is amazing. Especially at their level. Makes you think they all can‘t be acting. Or that it’s just a Lando buddy thing. Lewis has said similar things and I played it off as over the top Lewis showmanship. I guess not…

Question is, when will his dominance turn off? Like it did for Sebastian or Danny Ric. Or will he remain that guy others can keep using the Max factor for not finishing 1st? And let’s face it, they all are doing it. Something along the lines, well that’s just Max, or we’ll be very competitive, just not like the Red Bull. We all know they’re not talking about Checo.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Great points! I could finger paint for years and never be a van Gogh. Very few people have that kind of inherent talent.

What surprises me is how he has learned how to dial down his anger and quickly get back to what he does best. Are you listening Yuki, lol. Sure he’s not as personable as Lewis or my fav Lando, on camera. Neither was Mike Tyson back in the day. But I sure am getting spoiled now watching him ride off into the sunset breaking records. I hope he doesn’t stop anytime soon!

Anyone hear/watch the FIA press conference? Lando was asked if he could have challenged Max if he had started out up front? He flat out, dead serious, answered “No”. Without hesitation. It was like 12 minutes in. The respect these guys are throwing Max’s way is amazing. Especially at their level. Makes you think they all can‘t be acting. Or that it’s just a Lando buddy thing. Lewis has said similar things and I played it off as over the top Lewis showmanship. I guess not…

Question is, when will his dominance turn off? Like it did for Sebastian or Danny Ric. Or will he remain that guy others can keep using the Max factor for not finishing 1st? And let’s face it, they all are doing it. Something along the lines, well that’s just Max, or we’ll be very competitive, just not like the Red Bull. We all know they’re not talking about Checo.
I don't see Max not winning the Championship next season, but I think it'll likely be similar to the 2022 season where he is at least challenged a bit more. What team do I think will be there, probably either Merc or McLaren, but I wouldn't be shocked if Ferrari does better also next season.

I still think that while Max certainly has some genetics and mental advantages, I think the bulk of why he is so good is just good honest hard work. I feel like the genetics and mental stuff is likely the different between being a good driver and being a GOAT. So this is me paying a big compliment to Max, I feel like it discounts all the years he worked while a child and all the sacrifices he has made along the way, not to attribute the majority of his success to those things than just his parents were good drivers, he grew up with some money, etc. Without the many many hours he spent working on his craft he would never have gotten to this point.
Sponsored