(P)ark to (D)rive puts car in 2nd gear?

Dannyepidemik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Stopped by a drive thru boba shop today after light spirited driving and noticed when putting the car to (D)rive from (P)ark, the car was in 2nd gear with my foot still on the brakes (Normal Driving Mode btw). I put the car back to (P)ark and back to (D)rive and the same thing happened. The car was in 2nd gear at 0 mph... I then put the car into sport mode and put the car in (D)rive from (P)ark and finally the car was in 1st gear. I then put the car back to (P)ark, switched back to normal driving mode, and put the car back to (D)rive and luckily we are back to 1st gear at 0 mph.

Does anyone know why that may have happened? Is my 1st gear or transmission cooked? (bought used, 3rd owner) I'm hoping it was the car thinking I was wanting to launch the car in second gear or something along those lines but that sounds unlikely and would like to know an exact reason. Any and all ideas would be appreciated!

Also, this does not happen with cold start. Transmission has been functioning normally as far as I can tell. Shifts in sport mode make loud thump when shifting at around 5k-5.5k rpms sometimes when launching the car but I hear that can be expected with the zf8 in sport mode.
Sponsored

MK5_Ger

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3L Premium
This is a normal behaviour for the ZF8HP.
Nothing to worry about.
It also does this in stop and go traffic.
But for this to happen, the car has to be up to operating temperature.

ky.supra

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Since you're the third owner, it might have a xHP transmission tune on the car

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR 3.0L Tungsten Silver
I noticed that it does this automatically in wet weather too which i thought was pretty clever of the car, being in 2nd off the line would help with traction.
Sponsored