A-91 Manual Trans 1st gear click

PRwhitesupra

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-91 MT Supra 2023
Hello guys, anyone else with a Manual Trans supra feels like small click or step when you are in Neutral and going into 1st gear? Once I put the clutch in and go into first it doesn’t engage 1st gear until I push it a little more harder or further. Maybe a fork problem? Anyone other gear feels fine when shifting. Only when going from Neutral to 1st gear?
Sponsored

OP
OP

PRwhitesupra

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-91 MT Supra 2023
I have not experienced this. Were you completely stopped? What rpm?
Yeah I am fully stopped. And maybe in iddle or 1500 rpms. Not high RPMS. Its when stopped and going into 1st gear. Very weird.

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
If you move into another gear, then back to 1st is the click/notch still present? (Whilst stationary)

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Hello guys, anyone else with a Manual Trans supra feels like small click or step when you are in Neutral and going into 1st gear? Once I put the clutch in and go into first it doesn’t engage 1st gear until I push it a little more harder or further. Maybe a fork problem? Anyone other gear feels fine when shifting. Only when going from Neutral to 1st gear?
How quickly are you engaging first gear. If slowly then it's probably the syncro spring releasing the syncro sleeve or the syncro sleeve teeth aligning with the gear engagement teeth. You should just depress the clutch and shove it into first gear in one direct and assertive motion not try and feed it in there carefully if indeed that's what you are doing.
You never know how much manual driving experience people have these days especially on larger gearboxes designed to take some torque as opposed to 4 cylinder gearboxes etc.

Phil

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
Is it there with rev match?
Is your idle high?

OP
OP

PRwhitesupra

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-91 MT Supra 2023
How quickly are you engaging first gear. If slowly then it's probably the syncro spring releasing the syncro sleeve or the syncro sleeve teeth aligning with the gear engagement teeth. You should just depress the clutch and shove it into first gear in one direct and assertive motion not try and feed it in there carefully if indeed that's what you are doing.
You never know how much manual driving experience people have these days especially on larger gearboxes designed to take some torque as opposed to 4 cylinder gearboxes etc.

Phil
Jm, I would take your note into consideration but its not that slow that I go into 1st. But yeah sounds familiar what you are saying because if I slowly release the clutch the gear ends up going in. But I don’t feel that I go into first gear that slow. But will take into consideration to se how it goes. Thanks!

OP
OP

PRwhitesupra

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-91 MT Supra 2023
If you move into another gear, then back to 1st is the click/notch still present? (Whilst stationary)
Actually just tried this and if I am stopped in iddle and go into 2nd from neutral and then to 1st gear it feels like butter. Way smoother than from neutral to 1st when stopped.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Actually just tried this and if I am stopped in iddle and go into 2nd from neutral and then to 1st gear it feels like butter. Way smoother than from neutral to 1st when stopped.
That sounds like a Tremec T56 selecting reverse when cold. Wont go into reverse until you select a fwd gear and then reverse will go in fine. I wonder if you have a bit of clutch drag and you need to bleed the clutch.

Phil

OP
OP

PRwhitesupra

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-91 MT Supra 2023
That sounds like a Tremec T56 selecting reverse when cold. Wont go into reverse until you select a fwd gear and then reverse will go in fine. I wonder if you have a bit of clutch drag and you need to bleed the clutch.

Phil
Interesting. But I do that of going to 2nd gear first and then go back to normal of being in neutral at a stop light and going into first I believe it still feels kind weird. Its not like if I do the 2nd gear first and then to 1st if goes away like you said happened with reverse and going to a fwd gear first.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting. But I do that of going to 2nd gear first and then go back to normal of being in neutral at a stop light and going into first I believe it still feels kind weird. Its not like if I do the 2nd gear first and then to 1st if goes away like you said happened with reverse and going to a fwd gear first.
Might still be worth bleeding the clutch to be sure.

Phil

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
I noticed sometimes I have a problem going into first, doesn't go into gear. This is at a stop. If I shift into 2nd gear and back to 1st it's fine. I wonder if I'm going into first too quickly after pressing the clutch, so today I tried pausing for a moment after pressing the clutch before going into 1st gear a few times and so far it seem fine, but too early to tell. I've been driving manuals 23+ years.

OP
OP

PRwhitesupra

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-91 MT Supra 2023
I noticed sometimes I have a problem going into first, doesn't go into gear. This is at a stop. If I shift into 2nd gear and back to 1st it's fine. I wonder if I'm going into first too quickly after pressing the clutch, so today I tried pausing for a moment after pressing the clutch before going into 1st gear a few times and so far it seem fine, but too early to tell. I've been driving manuals 23+ years.

Hello friend, yes I experienced the same issue. It was just when I was at a stop light. I went to the warranty but they didn't find any issues with it so I am just using it as is but it still feels weird.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Hello friend, yes I experienced the same issue. It was just when I was at a stop light. I went to the warranty but they didn't find any issues with it so I am just using it as is but it still feels weird.
Is it still happening? How many miles do you have?