Brake Retrofit

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
While it may seem counterintuitive, adding power alone does not necessitate increasing braking power. Provided that you did not increase the weight, drag coefficient, or rolling resistance of the car... it will have the same 60-0 time/distance regardless of whether it goes from 0-60 in 2 seconds or 20. The exceptions aren't going to be encountered on the street unless you are also being exceptionally illegal - but on the track/strip is another matter of course with brake-boosting or trail braking where a balance must be achieved.

Naturally, adding power will also likely encourage driving faster, and doing so more often - which might change the calculus a bit. However, if the brakes can clamp with enough force to engage ABS... then more force shouldn't matter. Pads, fluids, different rotors, etc. however will definitely assist in more "bite", less fade, longer life, less dust, and so on.

Probably unnecessarily pedantic on my part, but I often hear power and braking mentioned as a matched pair when really it's driving behavior/conditions that would determine this in most situations. Ironically, I never hear people dropping 300lbs+ of stereo gear in a car doing a brake upgrade... which in almost every case should necessitate better brakes, suspension, and possibly structural reinforcement as well. :D Even just being over 400lbs might do it... although a diet would probably be a better upgrade.
Sponsored