Clean Engine Bay

Supurah

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
How do you guys keep/clean your engine bays?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
OP
OP
Supurah

Supurah

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Clean it. ;)

I use the shitty old microfiber towels and detail spray of choice. Granted mine never gets too dirty. Is yours a mess?
Mine isn’t a mess but wanted to get an idea of how to clean it in advance for if and when it does get a bit dirty

Reactions: zrk

humblemoto

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91, '07 E60 M5, '19 Panigale V4S
Like this!

Depends on severity. I keep it clean regularly so I just use the same shampoo as the paint. Add degreaser via spray bottle on tough spots and let sit for a minute. Agitate gently with a soft bristle brushes to move crap out of hard to rinse spots.

Do not apply cleaning products on hot parts or in direct sunlight unless specifically told to.
(do as I say, not as I do <3)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I don't drive..? :dunno:

Actually I keep the engine bay tidy at all times using micro fiber towels and quick detailer, and some Aerospace 303 for plastic and rubber parts. It's like cleaning the toilet.. if you keep it clean all the time, cleaning itself is not difficult.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
How do you guys keep/clean your engine bays?
I simply go to a quality .25 diy carwash. It’s all about the pressure of water. I use one that has higher pressure than most (some act like a garden hose - crappy) .… wash with the soap selection … then rinse with the water and dry as normal. No added cleaning chemicals are needed.

IMG_9158.jpeg

Last edited:

oreobbq

First Name
oreo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91 Refraction Blue
It's like cleaning the toilet.. if you keep it clean all the time, cleaning itself is not difficult.
Pop your hood I need to take a 💩

APC to clean, rinse, then add a protectant of your choice. Some protectants are better than others at not attracting dust. Less is more usually when it comes to using topper products. After that it's easy to maintain with a quick detailer.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I’ve personally never been a dressing person for the engine… just collects dust most of the time (same goes for the interior). Leather conditioner… yes.

I like the simple clean look of a wash and dry in its natural state.

Reactions: zrk

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I simply go to a quality .25 diy carwash. It’s all about the pressure of water. I use one that has higher pressure than most (some act like a garden hose - crappy) .… wash with the soap selection … then rinse with the water and dry as normal. No added cleaning chemical are needed.

IMG_9158.jpeg
Sorry for revivng this and being unrelated to the thread. Do all cars come with the VIN sticker under the hood? I haven't seen that in Canada.

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Most newer models have 3-4 locations here: driver's side door, dash front, hood front and possibly frame side or firewall. Maybe not a specification in CA so they don't do it, but seems strange they don't just add the "unnecessary/extra" badges at the factory for consistency.

1703658350637.jpeg

On topic... I clean whatever cap I'm unscrewing to add oil/coolant/etc. but beyond that - you could probably plant a garden on my engine cover at this point. 😓 Some day I'll get around to that... I promise.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Most newer models have 3-4 locations here: driver's side door, dash front, hood front and possibly frame side or firewall. Maybe not a specification in CA so they don't do it, but seems strange they don't just add the "unnecessary/extra" badges at the factory for consistency.

1703658350637.jpeg

On topic... I clean whatever cap I'm unscrewing to add oil/coolant/etc. but beyond that - you could probably plant a garden on my engine cover at this point. 😓 Some day I'll get around to that... I promise.
Ya I saw somewhere some had a sticker with there vin on the inside of the trunk to. Which o don't have.

Ya I stopped cleaning my engine bay unless I'm going to a show. To much dust and dirt where I live.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
This is what I do with our other vehicles when the oil is draining:
1. Spritz water on all reachable components, and wipe off with a microfiber towel or paper towel. Repeat for interior plastic components.
2. Spray rubber protectant on a cloth or paper towel and wipe down all rubber hoses and hood seals. Continue with door and trunk seals.
3. Clean seats with leather conditioner and a microfiber towel.
4. Protect leather with Zaino "Leather in a bottle" for an amazingly realistic leather smell.

The above assumes that this cleaning process occurs at least once per year. That's why most of the unclean surfaces have a light layer of dirt and/or dust on them. Heavy-duty cleaning is not required.
Sponsored