Info about turbo kits

Echo_26

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK V Supra
Hey guys,

I am looking at the moment to pick up an upgraded turbo kit for my 2020 A90 Supra.

I came across the AMS Alpha 8 kit for the car and was very intrigued by it.

I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with the kit and how its been.

The kit utilized the Supra's OEM wastegate. That seems pretty cool but I was wondering if thats better or worse than going with the other kits on the market that use a blow off valve.

Any other insights help.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Echo_26

Echo_26

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK V Supra
Using a BOV has nothing to do with using the factory gate.
oh my mistake then. So are most kits the same with some have an addition of a bov or no?

i really like the simplicity of the alpha 8 kit and they emphasize a lot about the Wastegate working with the oem system

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
Hey guys,

I am looking at the moment to pick up an upgraded turbo kit for my 2020 A90 Supra.

I came across the AMS Alpha 8 kit for the car and was very intrigued by it.

I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with the kit and how its been.

The kit utilized the Supra's OEM wastegate. That seems pretty cool but I was wondering if thats better or worse than going with the other kits on the market that use a blow off valve.

Any other insights help.

Thanks!
Hey, there are several options for aftermarket turbo systems. What's your power goals? Budget?

OP
OP
Echo_26

Echo_26

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK V Supra
Hey, there are several options for aftermarket turbo systems. What's your power goals? Budget?
I’m looking to get between 650-700 whp

I know I have to upgrade the transmission but I want to do other components first before jumping down that rabbit hole.

most of the turbo kits I saw and like were around 6-7k so I guess I’m somewhere around that for a kit.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
do you have a preference? Top mount versus stock location? Want room to grow? What do you do with the supra? Track? Drag? Street?

OP
OP
Echo_26

Echo_26

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK V Supra
do you have a preference? Top mount versus stock location? Want room to grow? What do you do with the supra? Track? Drag? Street?
I daily drive the car but I love doing more track focused mods rather than drag racing. I tend to take the car on backroads and drive it hard but occasionally there’s a hellcat that I’ll smoke😅.

and I don’t mind if the turbo is top mounted or bottom but if there is a difference to upgrade in the future then I’d go for the one that would be upgradable in the future

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I daily drive the car but I love doing more track focused mods rather than drag racing. I tend to take the car on backroads and drive it hard but occasionally there’s a hellcat that I’ll smoke😅.

and I don’t mind if the turbo is top mounted or bottom but if there is a difference to upgrade in the future then I’d go for the one that would be upgradable in the future
Sounds to me like you want a Pure800.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
im not a huge fan of the pure800. Plus most of the other kits come with some very reliable parts so I have a preference to them
That's fair, though AMS becomes an interesting choice. If you're dead set on going top mount, a small turbo p2tuned kit is a good choice. Big top mount turbos aren't great for what you're doing because they will lag. AMS is an ok choice, but then you have to rely on the factory wastegate, which is usually fine, but sometimes not.

OP
OP
Echo_26

Echo_26

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK V Supra
That's fair, though AMS becomes an interesting choice. If you're dead set on going top mount, a small turbo p2tuned kit is a good choice. Big top mount turbos aren't great for what you're doing because they will lag. AMS is an ok choice, but then you have to rely on the factory wastegate, which is usually fine, but sometimes not.
Could you explain to me the part about the factory Wastegate and how it can be good or bad? Ams talks abt it saying that the electronic Wastegate is better than mechanical ones so that’s why they chose to use it in their kit.

for me the 3 options I’ve found so far are the p2uned kit, the ams, and the boost logic. Not sure which one is best tho

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
im not a huge fan of the pure800. Plus most of the other kits come with some very reliable parts so I have a preference to them
so your statements are contradicting. You post a thread asking about the ams alpha turbo kit and asking about the reliablity of it but now say the kit has reliable parts and have a preference to them. And the pure800 is garbage. I am assuming you ran Pure on your previous builds before and have a ton of experience with them?

it seems like you made up your mind and don’t need any help or recommendation…: thread closed! :)

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so your statements are contradicting. You post a thread asking about the ams alpha turbo kit and asking about the reliablity of it but now say the kit has reliable parts and have a preference to them. And the pure800 is garbage. I am assuming you ran Pure on your previous builds before and have a ton of experience with them?

it seems like you made up your mind and don’t need any help or recommendation…: thread closed! :)
Yeah, agree. OP made up their mind and was looking for validation. IMO, the AMS kit is overpriced and from what I hear a pain in the dick kinda to tune. AMS is also using old technology Garretts, which is fine, and decent for what OP is looking to do, but.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ no way you'd catch me with a big turbo on the factory gate.
Sponsored