Is there any options for taller people? Rear Bracebar/Bucket Seats

Jhand01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mkv
I'm about 6'4 i fit fine in the supra, however i would like a bit more space. seen the susco brace people have been using does that help?
Also any Bucketseats that will fit someone bigger.

I know someone here is taller than me!! haha šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

jonezj

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
I got you bro. Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€ all legs and one of my first mods was the cusco harness bar. It definitely gave me more seat recline which made stock seats more comfortable.
I have since gone to a bucket. Running a Sparco QRT-C on a Sparco slider and Dotekiā€™s bracket. The Sparco QRT line is made for bigger people. Highly recommend them or an EVO XL which is a bit cheaper. A bucket gives you more leg room than the stock seat, but no recline obviously. The stock seat is like 4-5 inches thick whereas a bucket is an inch total. You save a lot of room with a bucket, but you need the slider to get it back far enough.
I had enough room with a bucket to then go with dotekiā€™s half cage/roll bar. This also gave me a safe option for harnesses. I just put the stock seat back in for test fitment with the roll bar. It is not comfortable for me at all.
Happy to answer any other questions.
IMG_1511.jpeg

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
I got you bro. Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€ all legs and one of my first mods was the cusco harness bar. It definitely gave me more seat recline which made stock seats more comfortable.
I have since gone to a bucket. Running a Sparco QRT-C on a Sparco slider and Dotekiā€™s bracket. The Sparco QRT line is made for bigger people. Highly recommend them or an EVO XL which is a bit cheaper. A bucket gives you more leg room than the stock seat, but no recline obviously. The stock seat is like 4-5 inches thick whereas a bucket is an inch total. You save a lot of room with a bucket, but you need the slider to get it back far enough.
I had enough room with a bucket to then go with dotekiā€™s half cage/roll bar. This also gave me a safe option for harnesses. I just put the stock seat back in for test fitment with the roll bar. It is not comfortable for me at all.
IMG_1511.jpeg
How much rearward seat room did you lose with this bar/cage?

jonezj

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
How much rearward seat room did you lose with this bar/cage?
This cage is engineered specifically to maintain as much space as possible. I lost very little in rearward position (see pic of slider below), but I lost some recline due to the rollbar up top and height of the stock seat.
this is all probably fine with stock seat for 95% of supra owners, but I am personally not comfortable in the stock seat with cage. I needed more recline than the stock bar allowed with stock seats which is why the cusco bar was great for me.
i am 100%comfortable and in correct drivers position in the sparco with the cage.
IMG_1519.jpeg
IMG_1520.jpeg

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
This cage is engineered specifically to maintain as much space as possible. I lost very little in rearward position (see pic of slider below), but I lost some recline due to the rollbar up top and height of the stock seat.
this is all probably fine with stock seat for 95% of supra owners, but I am personally not comfortable in the stock seat with cage. I needed more recline than the stock bar allowed with stock seats which is why the cusco bar was great for me.
i am 100%comfortable and in correct drivers position in the sparco with the cage.
Thanks for the pics. Im 6'3" so I went with aftermarket seats (Recaro CS) and fit much much better, but I dont wanna give up any comfort to do a cage.

jonezj

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
You will have plenty of room with a Recaro and this cage. Highly recommend if you plan to run a harness for track at any point.

jonezj

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Thatā€™s the one! Great product and great company for this platform and grassroots racing. I bought my whole seat and harness setup through them. Rich there is Very helpful.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK6 Golf R
Really glad this thread is here. I'm in a MK6 Golf R right now, FBO with upgraded GTX2867R turbo kit which is considered stage 3 for APR's brand. Like most VWs, the 10 year mark has passed and every weekend is another project, and every drive produces a new sound or issue to diagnose. I was looking at a MKV Supra purely for the 6 cyl bump with decent options out there to upgrade, but was torn between the Sup or the newest mustang GT iteration based solely on how capable I would be able to daily it being a tall guy.

I'm about 6'5 (6'6 with shoes that aren't flipflops) and daily'ing the Golf R is pretty easy and comfortable. Bucket seats are stock so I don't even have it fully back on the tracks, nor is it really reclined either.

I had heard horror stories about the brace bar in the rear of the MKV supra and how it blocked full recline and movement of the stock seat. Glad to see there's some options, but I really don't want to get a new car just to have to dump a $1500 seat or more into it to be able to tolerate the drive. my height feels pretty evenly split between legs and torso, so how fucked am I? I'd like to test drive one at some point, but my local yoyo dealers don't really keep a steady supply.

jonezj

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Deleting the stock bar and either replacing it with the cusco brace or just leaving it with nothing there will probably be all you need to do to be comfortable.

definitely encourage you to hunt down a local owner thatā€™s willing to let you at least sit in it to try it out before you buy though. It is a tight cockpit for a large-framed human.

OP
OP
Jhand01

Jhand01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mkv
IMG_1511.jpeg
DUDE YOU COULDN'T HAVE SAID ANYTHING BETTER!! I'm going to look into the option of buckets that have a reclining option as well. but i might do one of those too!! thanks my man!

OP
OP
Jhand01

Jhand01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mkv
Really glad this thread is here. I'm in a MK6 Golf R right now, FBO with upgraded GTX2867R turbo kit which is considered stage 3 for APR's brand. Like most VWs, the 10 year mark has passed and every weekend is another project, and every drive produces a new sound or issue to diagnose. I was looking at a MKV Supra purely for the 6 cyl bump with decent options out there to upgrade, but was torn between the Sup or the newest mustang GT iteration based solely on how capable I would be able to daily it being a tall guy.

I'm about 6'5 (6'6 with shoes that aren't flipflops) and daily'ing the Golf R is pretty easy and comfortable. Bucket seats are stock so I don't even have it fully back on the tracks, nor is it really reclined either.

I had heard horror stories about the brace bar in the rear of the MKV supra and how it blocked full recline and movement of the stock seat. Glad to see there's some options, but I really don't want to get a new car just to have to dump a $1500 seat or more into it to be able to tolerate the drive. my height feels pretty evenly split between legs and torso, so how fucked am I? I'd like to test drive one at some point, but my local yoyo dealers don't really keep a steady supply.
you'll need to sit in one, if its something you can handle until you get a rear harness upgrade/bucket seat. I'm 6'4 and i have the seat all the way back and down. I can fit a helmet as well if that helps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK6 Golf R
you'll need to sit in one, if its something you can handle until you get a rear harness upgrade/bucket seat. I'm 6'4 and i have the seat all the way back and down. I can fit a helmet as well if that helps

Definitely helps, considering a helmet requires a decent amount of headroom. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I can find one at a dealer. The cusco brace isn't too bad of a deal, I just didn't want to be that guy on all the tiktoks driving with the top down in his miata looking like shrek in a go-kart.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Can you just delete the interior sway bar? Isnā€™t it functional?

cbrummell

First Name
carson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 nitro yellow supra 3.0 premium
@Jhand01 LOL just to chime in im 6'3 and 270 pounds (muscle, not fat. no gut in the way of the wheel it makes a difference with seating position) i've found moving the wheel up and sitting closer helps a lot with having room to recline more. i wear a 34 leg pant and can still sit pretty close to wheel with room to lean back.

my trick i use to keep myself comfortable is setting position 1 on my seat memory as far back and upright as i can go if want to stretch my legs while driving and position 2 is closer to the wheel and reclined back if want to lean back more!

this has worked for me and i've done 4, 7+ plus hour road trips, i also daily the car.

if your car has the adaptive cruise you can also set the cruise to max distance and put put your left foot under the brake pedal when your cruising if you need some extra leg room because the dead pedal in the auto seems like it is pretty high.

your other option would be to get a reclining bucket as some of the other people in the thread mentions and that would gain you another few inches of space.

i feel like 6'4 is about to max height for a supra driver to be comfortable with stock seating. my close friend is 6'7 and he doesn't realistically fit in the car. he can rest his head on the ceiling while driving.
Sponsored