Looking for some guidance New 2020 Supra, What tune? Parts? etc for 500whp 500-550wtq?

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
I am looking for something that wont require messing with wiring. The reflex system just plugs in and gives port injection capability.
The reflex kit uses the same port injection harness as the Visconti Flex Fuel kit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium in Nitro Yellow
so for the ekutek stuff what all do i need? trying to get some parts ordered today if at all possible. the tuning is it normally a canned tune that then you log and its tweaked.

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so for the ekutek stuff what all do i need? trying to get some parts ordered today if at all possible. the tuning is it normally a canned tune that then you log and its tweaked.
For remote tuning, you would need the Ecutek dongle (Bluetooth; data logging from your phone) and USB lock key (used for PC; flashing maps to the car, used in conjunction with the dongle via USB).

Ecutek doesn't have "canned tunes" as tunes are provided by a Ecutek tuner. Each tuner will have their own tunes such as their baseline 91/93 octane fueling and they will have options for "flex fuel" or realistically up to e30-e50 fueling (for cars without PI and stock turbos).

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
but are the tunes one size fits all or do they tweak them to the owners liking? do i need the bluetooth dongle if im fine logging to a pc connected via usb(what im used to on my LSx stuff)

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
but are the tunes one size fits all or do they tweak them to the owners liking? do i need the bluetooth dongle if im fine logging to a pc connected via usb(what im used to on my LSx stuff)
That depends on your tuner. Factory cars will generally have the same configurations for the model year so the tuning parameters are within a certain range of each other. A tuner will ask you to data log to fine tune their baseline maps to get you the most out of your specific car and area you drive your car in.

A dyno tune will allow the tuner to fine tune the car even further. Once the map is loaded, you don't necessarily leave the dongle connected but if you do leave it connected (Bluetooth), then you can control certain things from your phone (assuming your tuner has added RaceROM support).

APanoMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d definitely recommend reaching out to Zach Tucker at counterspace garage, he is really knowledgeable about the supras and just tuned mine in fact. I found him through other members on this forum. My first pick was evasive motor sports but they had a huge waiting list that was months and months wait. He uses ecutek to tune our supras. Heā€™s located in the San Diego area but also does remote tuning. If you go to him and tune, he uses a dynapack that reads a bit lower than other dynos. Iā€™m sure you heard people dynoing their stock 2020 supras and seeing 340whp ish. Well on his dyno when he tunes heā€™ll show you a baseline which comes out to just about 300whp. With a pure800 and 91 oct I was making 450whp with 420wtq (tune 1 daily) and 450whp with 480wtq (tune 2 drag). On 100oct and pure800 we got to 480whp and 480wtq. I could have pushed a bit more power out of it but the car wouldā€™ve stared to lean out (he showed me in the graphs and recommended to not push for more power than where I was at, so I stopped there; I still want the car to be reliable of course) If I wanted to go a bit further I couldā€™ve used some vp race fuel or ms120 to crack 500whp but realistically I wasnā€™t going to do that. I couldā€™ve also done an ethanol blend but it just feels like too much of a hassle for me to get that perfect blend each time. At this point the fuel system is maxed out and that would need to be addressed to be able to reach 600whp/wtq but then the stock Trans is at its limit. To get power beyond that youā€™d need to get a stage 0 Trans kit to make it hold 700+Whp. The pure800 spools up relatively quickly, a little later than stock but it just pulls hard. Even on 91 with the pure if I punch it too hard Iā€™ll ignite the tires so grip aka wider wheels is my next issue to figure out.

Even if you donā€™t use him to tune, just reach out to him and ask him questions about the car, he really is knowledgeable.

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
guys also i cant remember my exact build date on my car but thinking like 07/19-09/19 am i going to have to pull the dme and send it out to be unlocked?

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
guys also i cant remember my exact build date on my car but thinking like 07/19-09/19 am i going to have to pull the dme and send it out to be unlocked?
Maybe. Once you get your Ecutek dongle, you can check before hand.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
more than likely yours has not been locked. Only 2021 models with Ecu date of 6/20 or later

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i meant the need for a bench unlock to be able to program it. Not a true cant ever get into it lock like the 21s currently have.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
i meant the need for a bench unlock to be able to program it. Not a true cant ever get into it lock like the 21s currently have.
You should be able to tell with the Ecutek software, but for the most part 2020 ECU should not need a bench unlock unless a dealer went back in and locked it for some reason.

NcreAighStonH

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Supra Premium
Hey Everyone,

Iā€™ve been going through the forums like crazy the last few days. This is really my first sports car, and Iā€™m looking to learn anything and everything while turning it into a project. @rennocneb this has been the best thread yet for a fresh start! Just wanted to confirm with everyone that Iā€™m on the right track as far as mods:

Must Haves: Catted DP (brand doesnā€™t matter) & EcuTek Tune (from a reputable Tuner)

Extras for Mostly Sound: Exhaust (HKS or AWE), Intake (Ingen or MST) & Charge Pipe (AFE or Ingen)

Hard In The Paint (without having to mess with wiring): Pure 800 Turbo

Am I missing anything? Iā€™ve gotten some stuff for aesthetics; but, I really want to start stepping up the performance. This was a daily driver for me until COVID, and Iā€™m going to be working from home now indefinitely. Iā€™m out on the weekends, and want to be able to hold my weight with the majority of whatever comes my way. 500/500+ sounds sweet, but I also want the car to last. Iā€™m also in New York if that makes a difference.

I appreciate everyoneā€™s input up to this point, and any other assistance would be greatly appreciated!

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
@rennocneb I think you are overthinking the wtrq. It's not an issue with stock turbo. Don't let it hinder your fun. You may need a bench unlock, no biggie these tuners use overnight shipping. They can also lend you a tool to check it first. I highly recommend any catless dp (all the same). Get the Visconti Flex kit, opt for the reflex to utilize PI if you plan on a turbo upgrade.

I use @MarinTuned for my vehicle. He is local to me in AZ. Got a custom e50 dyno tune from him, he does remote as well. For exhaust I love my HKS Dual, it may be a bit tame for you coming from a V8. Stock intake for now since I plan to get the Alpha 6 kit once they have a 6-port out. Only change the charge pipe if tuner sees a leak with the oem one.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Hey Everyone,

Iā€™ve been going through the forums like crazy the last few days. This is really my first sports car, and Iā€™m looking to learn anything and everything while turning it into a project. @rennocneb this has been the best thread yet for a fresh start! Just wanted to confirm with everyone that Iā€™m on the right track as far as mods:

Must Haves: Catted DP (brand doesnā€™t matter) & EcuTek Tune (from a reputable Tuner)

Extras for Mostly Sound: Exhaust (HKS or AWE), Intake (Ingen or MST) & Charge Pipe (AFE or Ingen)

Am I missing anything? Iā€™ve gotten some stuff for aesthetics; but, I really want to start stepping up the performance. This was a daily driver for me until COVID, and Iā€™m going to be working from home now indefinitely. Iā€™m out on the weekends, and want to be able to hold my weight with the majority of whatever comes my way. 500/500+ sounds sweet, but I also want the car to last. Iā€™m also in New York if that makes a difference.

I appreciate everyoneā€™s input up to this point, and any other assistance would be greatly appreciated!
if youā€™re in NY, there are a few good tuners not to far away. I use Mike Botti and he goes to NY pretty often. I believe Justin (twisted tuning) is up there and Visconti is in CT as well.

Iā€™m running a cheaper catted DP and was able to put down 480hp/540tq on e50 fuel. Catless will definitely make more, but I like having a cat as wel

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Hey Everyone,

Hey whats up. downpipe is definitely a good buy. will free up some flow the help keep the turbo happier when making power. All the same? yes and no. Definitely a tune is a great choice to turn up the power, and get rid of some of the factory irregularities of the OEM tune.

instakes are definitely just for sound until about 650whp so you dont have to rush to get that. P800 is a good turbo.
Sponsored