Need advice trading 2.0 for 3.0

Kaononaishi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0
As titled I have a 2022 2.0 but feel like it's time I try and trade into a 3.0. I got it back in September '21 so I'm obviously still making payments. I was only able to get the Supra because I got an excellent appraisal for my totaled vehicle back in July of that year. After the ~8 months of payments I've made and the current market, I believe it would be feasible for me to sell back my 2.0 for at least what I got it for and try grabbing a 3.0 for as close if not below MSRP whether used or new without adding too much more to my financing plan.

I understand I need to just start calling dealerships but as a newbie to the whole car sales/trading world, I would like as much advice as possible to not get taken advantage of. Do any of you fine people here know of trustworthy dealerships that won't gouge the ever living hell out of me in or around the Tampa/Orlando FL area that I should approach first?

I was hoping with the new manual coming out later this year and availability feeling like it's slowly coming back up that now would be as good a chance as ever to try and snag a 3.0.

Thank you!
Sponsored

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
I traded my 6-month old 2022 2.0 (6k miles) for a 2021 Phantom 3.0 (1.8k miles) over a month ago through CarMax.

Excellent experience and they gave me $50k for my 2.0!

You can always give them a try if you don’t feel comfortable with local dealers and are ok with a used car. I saw they were selling a Launch Edition with 2k miles for 59k a day ago or so

85DBDDC5-207D-46E9-9BB2-266BBC15EBCA.jpeg

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Getting an offer from carmax doesn't hurt...at least you'll be able to use it negotiating trade in value at the dealer you may choose.

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
Don't be afraid to do two separate transactions and wait for the new car to come in. Sell the car to carmax/carvana or some place like that that is paying out top dollar, then get the new car at MSRP from a dealer. A toyota dealer that is selling at msrp probably will not match the price one of those national chains are paying out. Although they may get close enough to make the hassle of selling online not worth it.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Great advice! Separate transactions all the way @Kaononaishi. I used dealers outside Florida to stay at MSRP. One in NC the other currently in process in MD. You can do everything online. Don’t let them tell you otherwise. I‘d get the most for your current car locally (Carmax, Carvana, Autotrader, etc.) then go from there - searching online for the purchase. I was picky with turbulence/red and phantom/red (would have settled for tungsten/red as well). If you’re willing to settle for black interior, it shouldn’t be difficult locating a MSRP deal at all.

PARA90N

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 GR Supra
It’s still a seller’s market these days - best advice you can get is to do the math.

That means getting appraisal offers from everywhere to see what’s best (dealerships, Carmax, Carvana, Shift, Vroom etc.)

Trade in will save you on taxes of course, but pay attention to the numbers - how much you’re getting for your trade in and how much you’re paying for that 3.0.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Absolutely do the math. Just be careful if trading the vehicle in Florida. Every dealer I spoke to wanted a “market adjustment“ of $5—15k over MSRP. I hope TX was better for you @PARA90N
Sponsored