What's after the Supra?

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
It's for sure hard to predict what will happen. Once the majority of car owners move over to EV, then the commercial market for petrol will decrease and the enthusiasts will have to hope the e-fuel market that some car makers (like Porsche) are developing will take over, albeit this will likely be expensive and taxed highly.

One way to think of it could well be like horses. Before the motor car, they were the main source of transport and were widely used by all sorts of people and industries. Once the motor car took over, they became the reserve of enthusiasts, expensive to keep/maintain, but still have a devoted following.

I could see something similar happen to ICE cars. There are way too many classic car owners, clubs, events, etc to fully get rid of them. They will just become more expensive to run, likely used at special events or for a drive on a nice day.

Luckily I'm already in that position, so it's less likly going to be my Supra replaced by an EV, but my daily driver Yaris.
From a future value perspective I bet the GR Yaris ends up being worth the most in 20 years time looking at other homologation specials. You could be in for a double win if it goes that way.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
The more I look into a EV for my wife the more Iā€™ve discovered. Donā€™t get too close to empty, donā€™t charge it fully, donā€™t overload the car (weight with people or cargo), donā€™t drive in excessive heat or cold, or any of these will reduce battery miles or battery life. Could you imagine buying one now and trying to sell the same older model (like my 5 year old iPad or computer) where technology is changing so much?

ICE car technology is past the infancy of lets add gears, carburetors, fuel injectors, etc. But I do understand, that like living in California, you could get forced out. Hopefully yā€™all have enough energy sources to back them up. They are a massive undertaking requiring gobs of energy to charge them = a massive drain on the grid. Nuclear ā˜¢ power would do it but itā€™s too faux pas.

Question being, how much energy would be required to switch everyone over 100% and could the UK grid handle it? Weā€™re definitely not up to the task over here in the majority of our states.

(Iā€™m not against EVs, just think there needs to be more thought behind complete ultimatums)

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
The more I look into a EV for my wife the more Iā€™ve discovered. Donā€™t get too close to empty, donā€™t charge it fully, donā€™t overload the car (weight with people or cargo), donā€™t drive in excessive heat or cold, or any of these will reduce battery miles or battery life. Could you imagine buying one now and trying to sell the same older model (like my 5 year old iPad or computer) where technology is changing so much?

ICE car technology is past the infancy of lets add gears, carburetors, fuel injectors, etc. But I do understand, that like living in California, you could get forced out. Hopefully yā€™all have enough energy sources to back them up. They are a massive undertaking requiring gobs of energy to charge them = a massive drain on the grid. Nuclear ā˜¢ power would do it but itā€™s too faux pas.

Question being, how much energy would be required to switch everyone over 100% and could the UK grid handle it? Weā€™re definitely not up to the task over here in the majority of our states.

(Iā€™m not against EVs, just think there needs to be more thought behind complete ultimatums)
We literally don't even have gas to heat our homes here, (or money to pay it anyway) it's an absolute shambles...

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI

Very well said. EVs are definitely the future, but contingent on massive power grid overhauls. If the government had an ounce of sense, they'd be pouring money into Nuclear and a grid that can sustain full EV before enacting bans on gas cars.

Also agree that EV resale will tank around the 10 year mark for the same reason no one buys an old iPhone. Degraded battery and outdated tech.

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
If I had to replace it soon, itā€™d likely be an Emira despite the lack of storage space. I need to get a bike inside so the Supra is perfect, but I guess Iā€™d get a Sea Sucker or something. Front engine GT car with a big rear hatch just works so well for how I live - the Supra is perfect that way, even if I wish it was a proper sports car sometimes.

Down the road, itā€™ll likely be something electric, fast, and hopefully much, much smaller than the giant whale of a car that the Supra is. That new Caterham isnā€™t real but I love the general idea of it: small, light, and quick.

In a perfect world, my next fun car would be much narrower and shorter. Maybe a 4x4 Smart Car haha Having owned a very fast classic Mini, I know that a much smaller footprint means more lines and more funšŸ‘Œ

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
As much of a Toyota guy as I am, I'm ashamed to say that my next choice after my Zupra would be a Nissan GTR.
I saw a brand new one at cars and coffee last week and daaaayyyum that thing is bad.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
As much of a Toyota guy as I am, I'm ashamed to say that my next choice after my Zupra would be a Nissan GTR.
I saw a brand new one at cars and coffee last week and daaaayyyum that thing is bad.
That GTR was about as brand new as the Z.

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Boy, I can only imagine what you would say about driving an average-sized car. šŸ¤£
I'm trying to buy an old Merc R107 from the 80s right now and have been out driving a few of them... Holy fuck me, what a soft and slow piece of shit that takes up way too much room. It feels like I need to start turning the wheel a hundred feet before I get to the corner, and why is the front-end 20ft long? But I want a car to drive 5mph under the speed limit while listening to terrible music with my dog, so it is actually perfect.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Really been contemplating a GT350 or maybe a new Mach 1ā€¦Weā€™ll see if my supra sells first i guess. Everytime i drive it it makes me want to keep it tho šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Funny. I went the opposite direction. šŸ¤£ The Supra is so much more fun to drive vs the 350R. The Mustang felt like more work to drive with little reward.
I've always gone back and forth between domestics and imports, always seem to come back to imports for that reason.

Agreed. It's on my list of possibilities as well.

I'm trying to buy an old Merc R107 from the 80s right now and have been out driving a few of them... Holy fuck me, what a soft and slow piece of shit that takes up way too much room. It feels like I need to start turning the wheel a hundred feet before I get to the corner, and why is the front-end 20ft long? But I want a car to drive 5mph under the speed limit while listening to terrible music with my dog, so it is actually perfect.
This thing barely fits in my garage, with my workbenches. And I mean by about half an inch. It's definitely a boat on boat like suspension lol still, it doesn't feel that big to drive..... Until you have to park it.
20230701_111208.jpg

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
Funny. I went the opposite direction. šŸ¤£ The Supra is so much more fun to drive vs the 350R. The Mustang felt like more work to drive with little reward.
I've always gone back and forth between domestics and imports, always seem to come back to imports for that reason.

Agreed. It's on my list of possibilities as well.

This thing barely fits in my garage, with my workbenches. And I mean by about half an inch. It's definitely a boat on boat like suspension lol still, it doesn't feel that big to drive..... Until you have to park it.
20230701_111208.jpg
As far as the GT350 goes, I drove my buddy's to said cars and coffee and did not like it. Power comes on way late and it was work to keep it tracking straight.
Just my opinion though.

Nice Charger!

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
After finally test driving a new M2 Iā€™m highly debating going into that platform as I really want a manual again. Also torn between that or a C7 Z06 itā€™s just hard to find a C7Z speced the way i would wantā€¦ LT4 and S58 is honesty a difficult toss up both have their pros and cons
Sponsored