Manual Supra vs Porsche 968

tub54500

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 CU LATER
I agree. I daily a 15 year old Honda and it's gearbox (even after all this use) is light years beyond the Supra. Having said this, the transmission in the manual Supra isn't particularly bad (other than the 1-2 shift*) but it is just disappointing to see how far behind it is compared to decades old gearboxes.

*I will say it again elsewhere, but: Despite having been a staunch opponent of deleting the CDV, I have to admit that after deleting the CDV.. well, I think it has actually drastically improved the reliability of the Supra's 1-2 shift. 😅
damn i was really hesistant about deleting the CDV.... was it an easy process? and from the looks of it, everyone said it was worth it? will it cause any kind of damage in the long run?
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
damn i was really hesistant about deleting the CDV.... was it an easy process? and from the looks of it, everyone said it was worth it? will it cause any kind of damage in the long run?
Workshop did mine while it was in for some other work. 30 mins job from what I understand. As for longevity, if you know how to drive properly it should cause less damage with the CDV deleted, from what I understand.

OP
OP

ghabe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
One of the most connected cars I have driven was a 2021 Lotus Evora GT. I've also driven a 2020 Porsche 911 S, which was not quite in the same league as the Lotus. That 911 was faster; it's just that it was a bit numb compared to the Evora.

The Supra is a different animal, since it is front engine. The view out is more like my MX5's with its top up, so that aspect does not bother me. Given a choice between the 911 and the Supra, I'd take the Supra. It just feels so special at any speed. May some of that is due to its exclusivity - a big plus to me. The other part is that Supra owners seem to be more active at C&Cs and local meetups.

Why don't you request a drive in a local owner's Supra? That's what I did before I bought my car.
I don't know any local Supra owner who would let a complete stranger drive his car. Actually, I've only spotted TWO mk5 Supras since they came out back in 2019. They're not common around here. There's a used one for sale 246km away from me... I could always pretend to be a potential buyer and go for a test drive.

OP
OP

ghabe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Do you have photo's of your 968? what year and how much are you asking?
It's not posted for sale yet. Also, it's a Canadian car located in Quebec... It's probably easier and cheaper for you to buy one locally!

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I don't know any local Supra owner who would let a complete stranger drive his car. Actually, I've only spotted TWO mk5 Supras since they came out back in 2019. They're not common around here. There's a used one for sale 246km away from me... I could always pretend to be a potential buyer and go for a test drive.
I thought the same thing. Surprisingly, there are many within a 30 mile radius of where I live. I just rarely saw any (maybe 2 or 3 over the past few years), so I signed up with this forum and posted a request for an owner to meet me somewhere and let me check out their Supra. Jayce drove at least 25 miles to my house to let me drive his Supra for 20 minutes or so. We spoke for at least 20 minutes after that. Within a month, I found my Supra and the rest is history.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
You're going to miss that gearbox: All those the Supra gearbox is the best I have ever used comments are just code for I have never actually used a properly good manual gearbox.
Nah. I grew up on manuals and have driven modern manuals. Although YouTube did push the hype, my MKV 6MT is an absolutely fun and rowdy car. The gearbox is exceptional and no regrets.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Nah. I grew up on manuals and have driven modern manuals. Although YouTube did push the hype, my MKV 6MT is an absolutely fun and rowdy car. The gearbox is exceptional and no regrets.
The Supra gearbox is OK; with the CDV delete I could upgrade it to good but exceptional it is not. Drive a Type R from the last 15 years and I guarantee your definition of exceptional will be redefined.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Always. When you're wrong, you're wrong. 💁‍♂️
I would like to one day drive an FL5. They are rare to even see on the road around here let alone drive one. My only complaint with the MKV’s manual transmission is how much power the stock clutch can withstand. BM3 Stage 1 or 2, an E50 tune and the clutch is starting to slip already. Meanwhile the automatic guys are pushing 650-700 HP on the stock clutch.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Auto guys don't have clutches, they have torque converters.

They picked the lightest clutch for this car for ease of use 100% because the clutch feel is kinda garbage stock.

And after driving both S2Ks (many of them), an FK8 R and an FL 5 R, stock for stock the Honda transmissions blow the Supra and any BMW out of the water stock.

This is why I created the option guys. You don't like the stock setup, I giveth option.

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
The Supra won't compare to a Porsche in terms of driving feel. It will be really fast, far more than you'll be willing to push it on the street. And it is, IMHO, extremely fun to push hard, but there's no denying it has a video game or simulator vibe to driving it.

Auto guys don't have clutches, they have torque converters.
Planetary automatics have clutches as well. Tacoma714 is talking about the clutch plates that send power to the planetary gearsets that determine the "gear" the transmission is in, not the torque converter. Here is a link to a random clutch pack upgrade kit for a ZF 8HP.
Sponsored