Max “safe” redline on stock valvetrain?

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
Title says it all. How far have people managed to rev a stock B58TU out without shit coming apart or floating the valves? The thought randomly popped into my head today and I can’t find any info on it anywhere.
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Title says it all. How far have people managed to rev a stock B58TU out without shit coming apart or floating the valves? The thought randomly popped into my head today and I can’t find any info on it anywhere.
I believe on a stock motor its not worth even revving the motor that high as our power starts falling off after 6k RPM or before.

Afterburn 549

First Name
stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR 3.0
Being the engine afaik has a pretty flat Torq curve , Not much is to be gained by more RPM ((except top end speed)

OP
OP

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
I believe on a stock motor its not worth even revving the motor that high as our power starts falling off after 6k RPM or before.
Right, but that’s only an issue with the stock turbo.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Right, but that’s only an issue with the stock turbo.
well, you mentioned a stock B58TU, did not specify whether stock motor or stock turbo

this is a convo for you and your tuner. get on a dyno and find out. even with a 7480 PT and cams, one still peaks hp at ~6600 rpms

OP
OP

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
well, you mentioned a stock B58TU, did not specify whether stock motor or stock turbo

this is a convo for you and your tuner. get on a dyno and find out. even with a 7480 PT and cams, one still peaks hp at ~6600 rpms
My mistake, I should have clarified that I was only referring to the long block being stock.

This post was purely out of curiosity. I just wanted to see if people were revving higher than 7k and if there were any benefits to doing so.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
My mistake, I should have clarified that I was only referring to the long block being stock.

This post was purely out of curiosity. I just wanted to see if people were revving higher than 7k and if there were any benefits to doing so.

Make sure you can construct questions properly to convey what you are actually asking, before you hire a tuner. Miscommunication with a tuner would be very frustrating for both parties.

OP
OP

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
Make sure you can construct questions properly to convey what you are actually asking, before you hire a tuner. Miscommunication with a tuner would be very frustrating for both parties.
My dude, it’s not that deep.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
It's really more of a horsepower thing. In the stock configuration, the motor will probably rev to 8000 before throwing shit out of the head.

Though complete useless, because the stock turbo is dead FAR before that.

How far you can push through the revs depends a lot on how much power you're making.

Possible 7200ish, maybe around 600hp. It'll always be a balancing act.

Last edited:

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
I did a quick search and wasn't able to find any aftermarket torsion springs for the swing cam. Does nobody make them? I would think this would need to be upgraded in additional to the the valve spring in order to rev higher.

OP
OP

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
It's really more of a horsepower thing. In the stock configuration, the motor will probably rev to 8000 before throwing shit out of the head.

Though complete useless, because the stock turbo is dead FAR before that.

How far you can push through the revs depends a lot on how much power you're making.
Thank you for taking the time to actually answer the question instead of just contributing to the usual circlejerk that happens with most of these guys.

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
I think that I've seen 8k RPM as well for the limit that folks are willing to push it. With this engine not having a square bore to stroke ratio I don't think that it's ideal to even go past 7.5k RPM unless you are putting in forged components and can do some balancing to make sure it's safe. Even then it might not be worth it cuz of how power is put down which goes back to the bore and stroke ratio.

At least for MT folks trying to get a slightly higher top speed we can just swap the diff for the one in the autos and avoid having to rev higher.

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
higher rev limiter helps a lot on track, even if it doesn't add power, by giving you more engine braking for rotating the car if you need to.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
stock valve train i tell my customers not to go beyond 7500rpm. This is where we've constantly taken our stock valve train B58 on our EFR9280 turbo. Stock turbo people shouldn't even really be thinking to go that high, but it can serve its purpose on a road course, just wouldn't make much power on stock turbo.

1713984225519-5l.png

I did a quick search and wasn't able to find any aftermarket torsion springs for the swing cam. Does nobody make them? I would think this would need to be upgraded in additional to the the valve spring in order to rev higher.

you talking about the valvetronic?
Sponsored