Safety Recall Question

Hulu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
Just got sent a safety recall notification regarding loss of breaking assist. Will require an ECU update.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I have a JB4 installed. Do I need to prep the car by going back to stock tune before bringing it in or do i just need to unplug the JB4 from the OBD port before bringing it in?

Thank you 🙏🏻
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Just got sent a safety recall notification regarding loss of breaking assist. Will require an ECU update.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I have a JB4 installed. Do I need to prep the car by going back to stock tune before bringing it in or do i just need to unplug the JB4 from the OBD port before bringing it in?

Thank you 🙏🏻
Set to map 0, removed JB4 OBD connection. That's it.

OP
OP

Hulu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
@zrk you’re a gentleman and a scholar sir, i appreciate you

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP

Hulu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
Finally made some time to bring the supra to the dealership to address this recall. The technician mentioned that he couldn't fix the recall issue due to the tune caused by the JB4. He stated that if he resets the ECU it'll damage it and the car will fail to start.

Am I screwed on fixing the recall issue or is there a workaround for this without risking my ECU getting fried and having to get a new one?

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
Finally made some time to bring the supra to the dealership to address this recall. The technician mentioned that he couldn't fix the recall issue due to the tune caused by the JB4. He stated that if he resets the ECU it'll damage it and the car will fail to start.

Am I screwed on fixing the recall issue or is there a workaround for this without risking my ECU getting fried and having to get a new one?
that sounds like a lie

OP
OP

Hulu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
that sounds like a lie
How do I rebuttal what he's saying? I am not too keen on all the workings around the situation; I tried to tell him that the tune is a piggyback tune, not an actual ECU tune, but he was adamant that the ECU could fry the car could fail to start. I even put the map back to 0 and unplugged the OBD port before pulling in.

OP
OP

Hulu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
Why not just fully deinstall the JB4?
Might have to and reschedule an appt.

Yeah, if the tech is going to be an idiot, this is the answer. Remove it completely.
So I guess were just under the impression that the guy saw all the JB4 wiring in the engine bay and said "nope, not going to deal with this."

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Might have to and reschedule an appt.

So I guess were just under the impression that the guy saw all the JB4 wiring in the engine bay and said "nope, not going to deal with this."
Literally doesn't make any sense if he had half a brain on how JB4 works, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
Correct me if i'm wrong, but they cannot deny safety recalls for safety related repairs, updates, etc...

OP
OP

Hulu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
Correct me if i'm wrong, but they cannot deny safety recalls for safety related repairs, updates, etc...
tbf, he didn't deny it. He just warned me that if he proceeds then the ECU will brick and I won't be able to start the car. I didn't know if he knew something I didn't so I decided against it for now since I need my car tomorrow. I'll just uninstallthe JB4 and reschedule an appt at another dealership in the future.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
My 2020 still runs factory program. I don't use auto engine on/off and always keep my foot on the brake pedal at least 2-3 seconds after starting the car to prevent the crank rock back. I have not experienced any issue.

The main reason why I haven't done it is because I know when it comes time to sell the car people see "2020" and expect "full programmability".. and I can say 'yep, factory program'.

However, the true reason why I haven't done it is because I don't trust that my local Toyota can do the service properly on a BMW. :crazy:

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
How do I rebuttal what he's saying? I am not too keen on all the workings around the situation; I tried to tell him that the tune is a piggyback tune, not an actual ECU tune, but he was adamant that the ECU could fry the car could fail to start. I even put the map back to 0 and unplugged the OBD port before pulling in.
take off the jb4 and go to a different stealership. dont even tell them you had a jb4 they cant detect it
Sponsored