Passing SMOG with BM3 and MHD?

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Tried to search but couldn't find the exact answers.

But if you have BM3 or MHD, can you flash to the original stock map?

Just asking because I hear to pass SMOG they may require ECU testing in the future to see if you are running a different map than stock?

TIA!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
I donā€™t know, but back in my S2K days, I did a Hondata flash, then returned to a stock flash for smog, and the ecu didnā€™t know it was reflashed. Iā€™m thinking it may be the same but I canā€™t tell you for sure. ECU security is insane now.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
You will be fine if you flash your stock tune back in. They check for the CVN # and if its different than what it was stock (aka modified tune), you screwed.

OP
OP
swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You will be fine if you flash your stock tune back in. They check for the CVN # and if its different than what it was stock (aka modified tune), you screwed.

Ok so BM3/MHD flashes the actual stock map?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Ok so BM3/MHD flashes the actual stock map?
Only if you go for full flash back to stock. If you are worried, I would reach out to BM3 support and ask about the ability to flash back to stock and have the CVN as stock. They will know what that means.

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 MT - Stratosphere.
You have to revert to your stock flash. They can check and compare your calibration ID versus stock. You can pass with the tune, but if the calibration ID is off, youā€™ll get flagged later on for a state ref inspection via mail.

Itā€™s been happening to Evo guys the past 2 years. Guys smog with a tune, pass smog and ended up getting state ref summons later on. I flashed back to stock and passed, no state ref notice.

Iā€™m not sure if it will be a problem but I think Smog tests can also compare check sums, so it may see how many times the ecu has been modified. That may post a future problem too.

Erty

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Watching this. May be moving back to SoCal soon and for that reason I haven't tuned yet :/

OP
OP
swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You have to revert to your stock flash. They can check and compare your calibration ID versus stock. You can pass with the tune, but if the calibration ID is off, youā€™ll get flagged later on for a state ref inspection via mail.

Itā€™s been happening to Evo guys the past 2 years. Guys smog with a tune, pass smog and ended up getting state ref summons later on. I flashed back to stock and passed, no state ref notice.

Iā€™m not sure if it will be a problem but I think Smog tests can also compare check sums, so it may see how many times the ecu has been modified. That may post a future problem too.

So my question is does/can BM3/MHD flash back to the actual stock map?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Did you just ignore my post telling you to contact BM3 support and ask them what the proper way is to flash back to stock CVN with their software?

Their support is great. Use it.

OP
OP
swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you just ignore my post telling you to contact BM3 support and ask them what the proper way is to flash back to stock CVN with their software?

Their support is great. Use it.
Thanks for your info. I donā€™t have either so doing research to find out if you can pass smog and the easiest way to do so.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
The OBD-II check on 2006 and later cars (based on what I've had to deal with) is not fun. I'm interested to find how easy it is or isn't to return to 100% stock. ROM ID, CVN, etc, etc.
I will not touch this ECU until I know I can put it back for smog or resale purposes.

Erty

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Emailed bootmod3 support. Did not get a clear response regarding the CVN. Their response was "We are a Canadian company and we're unfamiliar with emissions laws in your area."

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Emailed bootmod3 support. Did not get a clear response regarding the CVN. Their response was "We are a Canadian company and we're unfamiliar with emissions laws in your area."
Yeah. So who wants to be the guinea pig?
šŸ¤£

OP
OP
swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Updates OP with reply from BM3
Sponsored