2023 paint chipping at door

airhoodz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow Supra
I picked up my 2023 nitro yellow supra a week ago, and when I went to detail it yesterday found some weird paint chipping.

Along the drivers side door there is a line that runs along and looks like where the paint ends.

Along it there's a few spots that look like the paint is chipping away.

I picked up some touch up from DrChip, but I also reached out to Toyota because this seems like a defect. The car wasn't hit any anything, is always garaged. Hasn't hit 1k miles yet.

Anyone have any luck getting them to warranty something like this? Also should I be worried about this rusting?

20230805_170939.jpg

20230805_170847.jpg
Sponsored

NINaudio

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Kinda looks more like dirt/grease than chipping. Chipped paint usually leaves a lighter color. Can you feel it with your fingernail?

OP
OP

airhoodz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow Supra
Kinda looks more like dirt/grease than chipping. Chipped paint usually leaves a lighter color. Can you feel it with your fingernail?
Yeah, it feels deep at the bad spot. I can actually feel the line that runs the whole way down with my finger nail. I'm pretty sure if I run my finger nail against it without much pressure it'll chip anywhere along that line.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
To me... it looks like someone opened the door on to the top of a curb edge or brick/stucco wall and scraped the door edge. Easy to do and one might not even realize it happened. Touch it up and move on. Not a paint defect.

OP
OP

airhoodz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow Supra
To me... it looks like someone opened the door on to the top of a curb edge and scraped the lower door edge. Easy to do and one might not even realize it happened. Touch it up and move on. Not a paint defect.
The bad spot is just below the handle. Its not the bottom of the door. There's no curbs it'd connect with. It's the driver door. It hasn't hit anything. I'm the only one that drives it.

I also ran my finger nail with zero pressure along the the line that runs down the door and had multiple yellow chips start. That doesn't seem normal.

NINaudio

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Doesn't seem normal to me either, especially if it's just popping off when you touch it. Do you have a body shop you trust? If I were you, I'd bring it to them, see what they think, and then bring it to Toyota.

OP
OP

airhoodz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow Supra
Doesn't seem normal to me either, especially if it's just popping off when you touch it. Do you have a body shop you trust? If I were you, I'd bring it to them, see what they think, and then bring it to Toyota.
I don't unfortunately, I moved out to Portland like 9 months ago and just got back into cars after a few years break, so I haven't met anyone in that yet.

I emailed the manager at the dealership I got it from and sent them two pictures to see what they say.

In all fairness it's with my finger nail, but in my opinion that shouldn't shave off paint chips. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it's with zero pressure. If my finger nail does that, it could be a piece of metal somewhere on pants, maybe even just my jeans rubbing it? It seems super soft there and like it wasn't sealed or coated.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The bad spot is just below the handle. Its not the bottom of the door. There's no curbs it'd connect with. It's the driver door. It hasn't hit anything. I'm the only one that drives it.

I also ran my finger nail with zero pressure along the the line that runs down the door and had multiple yellow chips start. That doesn't seem normal.
Perhaps a better photo standing back would aid in the area of concern?

It could have also been repainted poorly at port or the dealer before delivery with light transit damage. I passed on a new Supra on the showroom floor with 7 miles on it. Sadly it happens... I always use a digital paint gauge on all of my car before I purchase to assure no paintwork has taken place.

OP
OP

airhoodz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow Supra
Perhaps a better photo standing back would aid in the area of concern?

It could have also been repainted poorly at port or the dealer before delivery with light transit damage. I passed on a new Supra on the showroom floor with 7 miles on it. Sadly it happens... I always use a digital paint gauge on all of my car before I purchase to assure no paintwork has taken place.
That's definitely a concern, I got a great deal on it brand new considering what they've been going for and I'm wondering if that's why. I didn't notice it at delivery and I did look it over pretty thoroughly and have washed it twice now after long trips.

I also drive the car pretty hard, including down some dusty roads. I inspected the front end and pretty much everywhere and can't find another chip. Not even a front end chip. It seems weird that there's no front end chips but it's chipping along this seam.

Here's two new pics, it's hard to see far away without the door open. The second little spec is where I ran my fingernail and it chipped right off.

20230806_105011.jpg

20230806_104833.jpg

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's definitely a concern, I got a great deal on it brand new considering what they've been going for and I'm wondering if that's why. I didn't notice it at delivery and I did look it over pretty thoroughly.

Here's two new pics, it's hard to see far away without the door open. The second little spec is where I ran my fingernail and it chipped right off.

20230806_105011.jpg
I would invest in a $50 digital paint gauge and check each panel for a reading. eBay is a good source. Most unpainted panel readings are between 4-6 mills.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3637301736...ofBQKtXRxa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

OP
OP

airhoodz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow Supra

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I think this is usually referred to as a "first world problem". What do you want Toyota or the dealer to do about it? Respray the door? Even if they did a spray repair you need to paint an area of the door many times greater than the damage to blend the new paint with the old for the colour match. . It's the law of diminishing return .The sensible thing to do would be to wipe it down with grease and wax remover and touch it up with a touchup kit. It's been scraped somewhere between Germany and your dealers delivery door and you've not noticed it. I'm as pedantic as hell and similar paint defects have got by me for months before I was aware of them.

Phil

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
From the second set of photos, it definitely looks like it was doored in transit I'm afraid.

As Phil said I would touch it up and that's it, I had to do the same on my yellow one - I understand it sucks.

Every time I give the car to a dealer I expect they scuff something inside or out anyway, so if it's a small thing like that I'd rather give up and do it myself as those inbreds will likely make more damage trying to fix it anyway, nobody cares about things anymore, it's just sad.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Agreed... touch it up and leave it as is... before you create a much bigger problem repainting the entire side with blending the paint etc.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
That is plastic anyway so don't worry about rust, although I would use some touch up paint like others are suggesting.
Sponsored