Car and Driver 0-150-0 Test Results for 12 cars including the Supra

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
I’m curious what a 500whp Supra time would be. I raced a C8 corvette 0-130 and was not impressed.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I was just impressed the Mustang did not crash. :crazy:

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Brake rotor size does not decrease stopping distance. Thats all tires.
But that's a decreasing explanation of what really happens when braking. Thermal capacity controls a portion of braking. Even though on a basic level, your answer is 100% correct. Take two identical cars, with identical sized, branded, model tires, but one has the Dark Horse sized brakes, and one has the Supra sized brakes, the Dark Horse equipped car will stop in a shorter distance, over and over and over, as thermal capacities do have an input on stopping. These tests are kind of ridiculous though, as gearing is never brought up, or compared. 🤷‍♂️

Love all your posts dude!

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
I'm just glad C&D still gives media attention to the platform. Motortrend didn't even consider the A90 in their COTY, TopGear has pretty much ignored it. Hagerty still puts out some good content, although I think it's end of the line until GR does something big for the last model year to warrant more comparos.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
But that's a decreasing explanation of what really happens when braking. Thermal capacity controls a portion of braking. Even though on a basic level, your answer is 100% correct. Take two identical cars, with identical sized, branded, model tires, but one has the Dark Horse sized brakes, and one has the Supra sized brakes, the Dark Horse equipped car will stop in a shorter distance, over and over and over, as thermal capacities do have an input on stopping. These tests are kind of ridiculous though, as gearing is never brought up, or compared. 🤷‍♂️
In a SINGLE stop, they will stop in exactly the same distance, irregardless of brakes.

Its only when the increased thermal capacity of the larger brakes comes into play in REPEATED stops that they matter.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
I'm just glad C&D still gives media attention to the platform. Motortrend didn't even consider the A90 in their COTY, TopGear has pretty much ignored it. Hagerty still puts out some good content, although I think it's end of the line until GR does something big for the last model year to warrant more comparos.
And I’m glad it doesn’t get the attention it deserve. So many people google the Supra and re like oh it only has 385 HP that sucks. Yeah then why are you 4 car lengths behind me then hmmmm

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Brake discussions are like dyno discussions. Everyone has an opinion and about 0.2% actually know what they are talking about.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
Brake discussions are like dyno discussions. Everyone has an opinion and about 0.2% actually know what they are talking about.
My opinion the brakes are great at this price point. Braking from 160mph on my car was fantastic on a 10 miles road course. When we stopped there was no doubt you could smell the brakes and they were plenty hot. Can they be improved? Yes. But how many people actually need to? I like them for what I do and the little I actually abuse them.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I was just impressed the Mustang did not crash.
Haha.. Ford made sure the car wasn't coming from a Cars n Coffee.

Been awhile since I've read a good brake debate. Love this nonintuitive subject. Always fascinating the different POVs.

To decrease your stopping distance you can buy better tires, wider tires, inflate/deflate tires to maximize contact patch, or in the rare case that you have difficulty engaging ABS (locking up the wheels) then bigger brakes that increase the swept area on the rotor.

Remember though -- stopping distance is just one number. It's also important that the car remain balanced and ready to take steering input; race track or city street. Monster stopping power doesn't do you any good if it turns you into a $60k lawn mower.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I’m curious what a 500whp Supra time would be. I raced a C8 corvette 0-130 and was not impressed.
I'm not sure, but a 1000hp Supra can go 0-158 in 8.9, I'm never gotten on the brakes hard though..

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Exactly. Am I the only one who bought their MKV as a blank canvas with the goal to unlock, e50, cooling package, DAW turbo eventually, etc? The car magazines act like we buy our cars thinking they will be faster than an m3 out of the box. Most of us buy them as blank canvas to build and add some power because of how light are cars are.