Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Great!!!

After all this time waiting patiently and finally owning it, never thought that the clutch was going to be a problem.

Im having dejavu now. I’m feeling like the time I owned an Evo X MR.

I called everywhere to find it and end up trading it in because the DCT won’t hold up after a small turbo upgrade.
Yea those Evo X MRs...Def was glad I had the GSR. I heard those MR clutches gave out at like 425hp, and cost like 12k to replace?! :(
Sponsored

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
2/500 a91mt with defective clutch, not bad of a ratio.... In for updates!
So far we know that there are 4

@NitroYellowMKV - Not Tuned
@kingdooksdb - Tuned but problem seemed to go away after going to 91 tune
@GRSupraPR - Unsure of tune status

A non-forum member running about 550 - 600 wtq at the track

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I'm watching this like a hawk now

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
2/500 a91mt with defective clutch, not bad of a ratio.... In for updates!
The majority of the A90 Supra community is not on this forum, so we can't make statements about how prevalent this problem is.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah he was being specific to the A91-MT

Has anyone seen clutch related issues from any outside the 500?
I believe there's a tuned one that I mentioned above. Not sure if it is an a91 or not. It's also a drag car.

CortC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT
Mine has 2K miles and the clutch has been perfect, no issues at all and with strong / smooth engagement.

I heard from Phillip today and he says he has had no more issues with his.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Mine has 2K miles and the clutch has been perfect, no issues at all and with strong / smooth engagement.

I heard from Phillip today and he says he has had no more issues with his.
My last track weekend, my stall-mate had a beautiful Porsche with his entire gearbox just dangling. I felt so bad for him… 😢 Shit happens. I’d still buy a manual Porsche or Supra if I didn’t have my little 6 speed MX5.

Glad to hear this is less prevalent than 1st assumed :)

mdpalmer

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT | 2001 DC2 Integra
Definitely not good news to hear this. I would like to give Toyota and BMW the benefit of the doubt and think (hope) they did a good job designing the clutch system to be reasonably durable.

The notion of the clutch being defined as a wear item... Ugh. 1 year/12k miles is nothing. I've never had to replace a clutch on any of my manual cars, ever within that time frame. Street cars, occasional autocross, maybe 1 or 2 track days a year, daily beaten driving style.

It could be a lot of things, maybe it's a quality control issue with the clutch compents themselves or the final assembly on the production line. Who knows, Toyota should definitely be investigating this... you guys should be giving corporate hell as has already been suggested in this thread, this kind of thing, if handled inappropriately, will damage Toyota's reputation and we all know they don't want that.

Please post updates guys as your cars are reworked. I don't currently own a 6MT but am in the market for one. Starting to consider waiting it out to see how this pans out.

I do wonder how the press cars are doing, the ones that Toyota allowed people to beat on in all the "look it's a new supra WITH A MANUAL" videos on YouTube. From what I saw some of the drivers/testers didn't do a very good job of handling the car, I'd like to think they got beat on a little harder than a typical one sold to a customer. If those were true production spec cars would be interesting to know how many miles they've accumulated and how they are doing.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
The notion of the clutch being defined as a wear item... Ugh. 1 year/12k miles is nothing. I've never had to replace a clutch on any of my manual cars, ever within that time frame. Street cars, occasional autocross, maybe 1 or 2 track days a year, daily beaten driving style.
Umm.. but the clutch is a wear item.

While I'm not doubting the folk who have encountered issues are experiencing a genuine fault, the reality is that driving manual is a skill and if you don't drive properly, you can very well destroy your clutch prematurely. 💁‍♂️

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My last track weekend, my stall-mate had a beautiful Porsche with his entire gearbox just dangling. I felt so bad for him… 😢 Shit happens. I’d still buy a manual Porsche or Supra if I didn’t have my little 6 speed MX5.

Glad to hear this is less prevalent than 1st assumed :)
I can feel that whole story in my wallet

p-diddy-money.gif

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I’d still buy a manual Porsche or Supra if I didn’t have my little 6 speed MX5.
Based on our interactions I'm placing you as the first one to call with an offer to buy mine if my health and/or finances ever goes pear-shaped and she has to go ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: