I REALLY want to tune/performance mod my Supra but there is a 15 year warranty in europe

Mod her or keep the warranty?

• Total voters

Topr

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Hey,

I love my 2023 MT Supra, have her since almost a year. So far only cosmetic mods. I really want to get an air intake, dp and stage 2 tune (with the required ecu unlock). I'm hesitant though because in Europe you get a free 15 year (or 200k km) warranty and I'm always a bit afraid that something breaks. It's also my daily and I want to keep the car for as long as possible. Around 7k miles on it currently.

The first 3 years of the warranty are basic and the the additional 12 years require a yearly checkup at a toyota workshop.

I've heard the b58 is really reliable though and according to google in a worst case scenario a barely used b58 with about 8k km is about 5k Euro (+ another 3k labor). So around 8k in a worst case (or about 15k all new) scenario doesnt sound too bad. Could I also just flash the ECU back to stock in case something happens or will it still be flagged ?

Just gathering some opinions if I should keep her stock performance wise because of that long warranty or say F*CK it, trust in the reliability of the b58 and mod her ? I'm really torn about this.

Btw just intake, dp and stage 2 with ~485 hp, nothing more since anything else wouldnt be street legal here. Mostly for sound, I come from a 136 hp miata so ~360 hp still feels "fresh".

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

FlammasWRLD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 NB Miata - 2024 Red 3.0 Premium MT - Ninja400
If financed wait until you're close to paying it off, but otherwise go for it, I've seen countless Supras with 50-60k plus miles on them running even more power than that.

Sidenote: I also came from a Miata and after 6 months the Supra now feels slow to me haha, I assume it'll happen to you as well fairly soon.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Fuck it! Who knows where we'll be in 10+ years anyway.

Just my personal experience, I daily my car with mods (flex fuel tune, running E50), 20k miles/3 years and it's been fantastic.

OP
OP

Topr

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
If financed wait until you're close to paying it off, but otherwise go for it, I've seen countless Supras with 50-60k plus miles on them running even more power than that.

Sidenote: I also came from a Miata and after 6 months the Supra now feels slow to me haha, I assume it'll happen to you as well fairly soon.
Hopefully paid off in 1 or maybe 1,5 years. Haha, Miatas are a bit underestimated imo because of their light weight but yeah I think at one point I will get used to the power of stock supra.

Fuck it! Who knows where we'll be in 10+ years anyway.

Just my personal experience, I daily my car with mods (flex fuel tune, running E50), 20k miles/3 years and it's been fantastic.
Gives me something to think about lol, i'm in my late 20's but yeah I agree you never know whats gonna happen. Gotta live your life to the fullest.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Hey,

I love my 2023 MT Supra, have her since almost a year. So far only cosmetic mods. I really want to get an air intake, dp and stage 2 tune (with the required ecu unlock). I'm hesitant though because in Europe you get a free 15 year (or 200k km) warranty and I'm always a bit afraid that something breaks. It's also my daily and I want to keep the car for as long as possible. Around 7k miles on it currently.

The first 3 years of the warranty are basic and the the additional 12 years require a yearly checkup at a toyota workshop.

I've heard the b58 is really reliable though and according to google in a worst case scenario a barely used b58 with about 8k km is about 5k Euro (+ another 3k labor). So around 8k in a worst case (or about 15k all new) scenario doesnt sound too bad. Could I also just flash the ECU back to stock in case something happens or will it still be flagged ?

Just gathering some opinions if I should keep her stock performance wise because of that long warranty or say F*CK it, trust in the reliability of the b58 and mod her ? I'm really torn about this.

Btw just intake, dp and stage 2 with ~485 hp, nothing more since anything else wouldnt be street legal here. Mostly for sound, I come from a 136 hp miata so ~360 hp still feels "fresh".

Thanks in advance
An ironic course of action that will actually create warranty issues.

Phil

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Grow a pair and do what you want to do with your own car. Only a fool would take this car to a Toyota dealership yet still many dont get it…

OP
OP

Topr

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
If you can afford to fix the broken things then go for it, if you need to rely on a warranty then probably not the most financially sound decision.
I have no real clue how much the essentail parts are tbh, because I never owned a car for longer than 3 years. I guess a catastrophic engine failure is super rare and according to 1-2 internet sites and chatgpt its like 10-12k to replace an engine, still lots of cash but it wouldnt be that horrible. Smaller parts probably even less. New clutch is like 1k I saw, new turbo is like what ? 2k? Doesnt sound that bad i guess

Grow a pair and do what you want to do with your own car. Only a fool would take this car to a Toyota dealership yet still many dont get it…
Why is that ? Because they arent familiar with the B58 at Toyota ? Or because its more expensive than other workshops ? Genuine question, i never owned a toyota or bmw before

GeicoGecko

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK5 Supra, 24 GolfR, B8/B8.5 S4, LS RX8, M5, Miata
For me it all comes down to if you can afford to fix it. Plus you might be able to reverse the mods if you need a warranty claim. I don’t think you can tune your ECU anyway without a donnor. Either that or piggyback which is easy to reverse.

exe36m3

First Name
Percy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Find a local BMW shop and join the local BMW club. The Supra is pretty much a 2-3-4 series car so your support network for work, parts, and knowledge is going to be better.

*Personally* I'd go with items like suspension which generally don't void warranties - as the engine, transmission and rear end are the most mechanically expensive parts to fix. Once the 3 year expires, then move onto motor. I'd suggest this route if you are still making car payments on the car.

Nothing sucks more than a broken car with a repair bill AND making payments on it.

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
They are going to find a way to weasel out of that warranty if you ever need to use it for something big. How do I know?

the additional 12 years require a yearly checkup at a toyota workshop.
This. This might as well be a gigantic neon warning sign that says, "we will not honor this warranty!"

Hopefully you didn't pay for that warranty. If you did, get a refund and spend the money on mods.

DR.COKE

First Name
COKE
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SUPRA
Mines got a 10 year warranty and keeping it stock. drives/sounds dam good for stock car. Drive it pretty much weekends only when I’m not taking the boat in the ocean. car is paid off and extra funds goes to Gas for The boat that generally gets me maybe 3 miles a Gallon.
mod yours once car is paid off and you can recover from BMW taxes. Life is short, cover your future emergencies than enjoy everything life has to offer.
you Never want to have payments than emergencies like car broken down, home AC broke, ER visit. Just more dumb self inflicted stress with payments.

OP
OP

Topr

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
For me it all comes down to if you can afford to fix it. Plus you might be able to reverse the mods if you need a warranty claim. I don’t think you can tune your ECU anyway without a donnor. Either that or piggyback which is easy to reverse.
Give me some estimates, brother. Even my car dealer doesnt know how much a new engine is xD. Same for all the other parts. If an engine is like about 10-15k then i'm chill.

Hopefully you didn't pay for that warranty. If you did, get a refund and spend the money on mods.
Nah, its called "toyota relax" and every toyota in the EU has a 15 year warranty for free (3+12).

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/toyota-warranty

UK 10, in germany even 15 years

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' 45th Anni Supra 3.0 6MT, 23' Subaru Ascent
It all comes down to your financial situation. If you happen to have an issue with your car and warranty wouldn't cover a repair/replacement of something... could you feasibly afford it? If not, maybe don't do any major mods. Doing simple bolt-ons to enhance your experience with the car should be fine (downpipe/exhaust, some suspension stuff) as they're easy to remove and put back to stock incase you need to claim warranty.

I yolo'd and started modding after 1,200 miles :D
Sponsored