JB4 question - going to body shop

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
So, the wife forgot my car was next to her SUV when leaving the pickleball parking lot the other day. We drive two vehicles because I typically play longer than she does. Since she forgot the Supra was there and it's too low to see, she turned too sharply as she left and her right rear clipped the Supra's left front. The cars go into the body shop on Monday and both are minor damage and easy repairs. Now for the question.

The body shop will need to pull codes pre-and post-repair since the left most parking sensor was damaged. Can you all confirm that I do not need to disconnect the JB4? My understand is the OBD connection is only for the bluetooth connection everything will run fine if it's removed - just can't connect and control through the app. Is that correct or do I need to disconnect it?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 - Stratosphere
When they pull codes, they will unplug the OBDII for the JB4. Correct me if I am wrong, you're asking if the JB4 will still work properly without the OBDII plugged in and not cause any codes?

OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
In a sense. Can they pull codes with the JB4 connected?

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
I’m pretty sure the odb for jb4 is just to pull extra info for output to the app and for logging so it’s not really needed for the jb4 to function properly.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
You can definitely run the jb4 without being plugged in and have no codes be thrown. Just unplug it when you drop off and let them do their thing. Then plug it back in when you pick up the car.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
you should be able to drive the car with jb4 obd disconnected, but I believe it will fall back to map 1 and any duty bias settings will be ignored (since there is no rpm signal).

OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Or set to map zero before unplugging.
Sponsored