NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
If the brake booster is fried will it trigger a code? How noticeable is the issue? I assume it would trigger an error code and be noticeable. At least I’d hope.

I have never pushed the start button twice when starting, but may have had a “light” pedal press when starting.
According to that screen shot, it's noticeable. This is definitely a serious issue.
Sponsored

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Thanks @zrk and @Axix23. I didn’t see the screenshot until now. Wow yeah that is serious. I’m going to be super mindful about this from now on. I, too, don’t mess around when it comes to brake issues.

Hope they release this ECU update fix soon.

Do you think the ECU update will also update the firmware for the people that don’t have full screen apple car play?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Thanks @zrk and @Axix23. I didn’t see the screenshot until now. Wow yeah that is serious. I’m going to be super mindful about this from now on. I, too, don’t mess around when it comes to brake issues.

Hope they release this ECU update fix soon.

Do you think the ECU update will also update the firmware for the people that don’t have full screen apple car play?
now that would would be badass. Toyota says we are sorry for the inconvenience and for your troubles, free Apple car play updates. Haha
Even better, how about a 30+hp tune as well into the new ecu update for the 2020 only. Hahaha

Last edited:

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
I read that BMW, and Toyota would send out safety recall letters in mail October 1st. And also had phone number for BMW, and Toyota if you needed more info.

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
Also, if I read the safety recall correctly, if you have the problem when starting incorrectly, it's cancelled the brake assist but still have brakes. You know like driving a old car or rod with standard none power brakes. That takes a strong leg to stop the car, right.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Also, if I read the safety recall correctly, if you have the problem when starting incorrectly, it's cancelled the brake assist but still have brakes. You know like driving a old car or rod with standard none power brakes. That takes a strong leg to stop the car, right.
yeah but this car isn’t exactly a 130hp Honda Civic.

We have a lot more tq and hp than most cars out there.

And let’s be real, most of us speed alittle and push it alittle. That’s why this brake booster stuff is pretty important. Lol ?

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
So is the consensus that we have to wait around until Oct or until more info about the affected cars comes out?

Or has anyone attempted to be proactive about it to see what the dealership would do?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
So is the consensus that we have to wait around until Oct or until more info about the affected cars comes out?

Or has anyone attempted to be proactive about it to see what the dealership would do?
These Toyota dealers are puppets. We are lucky if they can even change our oil properly.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
These Toyota dealers are puppets. We are lucky if they can even change our oil properly.
Yep, and just like so many things these days marketed as "updates" or "fixes" - I'm not willing to be one of the first 100 or so to get it done either. It's not as simple/cheap/fast to resolve a bricked car as it is a bricked game console or smartphone. :rolleyes:

I think the bright side (somewhat at least) is that if the potential for this issue was very high at all... we'd have seen many more complaints of fried boosters from members here. It's likely that the conditions for failure are extremely specific... like pressing the brakes just barely enough to register at all and pushing the button twice or something.

At this point, with at least 1000 start cycles and 24K miles driven... I must be pushing hard enough (and I know I'm not hitting the button twice). :dunno:

Also fun to notice that the recall includes a stop-sell order to dealers... so no more supra sales at all until October? And I can already guess where the priority for existing customers over dealer stock will be... looks like I won't have to worry about being an early adopter regardless.

Last edited:

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I don't want to spread wrong information, but I wonder this could be an opportunity. hear me out.

- we know 2021 cars are hardware locked. you will need a hardware key or software to unlock.
- with this recall, toyota/bmw will have to update locked ECU.
- which means, Toyota/BMW will have to UNLOCK the ECU if they have to update it.
- I'm sure one of the step is re-lock the ECU after update is done.
- Is it possible for them to leave it UNLOCKed?

perhaps it is taking it longer to provide solution because they are not fully equipped for unlock capability? If all this is true, perhaps 2021 owners have opportunity to jail break and 2022 owners will be screwed?

just babbling out loud... :lol:

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I think the bright side (somewhat at least) is that if the potential for this issue was very high at all... we'd have seen many more complaints of fried boosters from members here.
Good point. I haven't seen any complaints anywhere regarding this issue. Must be dangerous enough to make it a recall ASAP before anyone else gets hurt though.

I don't want to spread wrong information, but I wonder this could be an opportunity. hear me out.

- we know 2021 cars are hardware locked. you will need a hardware key or software to unlock.
- with this recall, toyota/bmw will have to update locked ECU.
- which means, Toyota/BMW will have to UNLOCK the ECU if they have to update it.
- I'm sure one of the step is re-lock the ECU after update is done.
- Is it possible for them to leave it UNLOCKed?

perhaps it is taking it longer to provide solution because they are not fully equipped for unlock capability? If all this is true, perhaps 2021 owners have opportunity to jail break and 2022 owners will be screwed?

just babbling out loud... :lol:
That would be awesome, but a long shot lol. It would also be awesome for a fix for the oil consumption on 21MY cars but also a long shot ?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
On July 26, 2021, BMW decided to conduct a voluntary recall. As of July 26th, a diligent review of records has determined that there are approximately 29 warranty claims (BMW – 24, Toyota –5), and 4 field reports (BMW – 2, Toyota – 2), that may be related to this issue.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
On July 26, 2021, BMW decided to conduct a voluntary recall. As of July 26th, a diligent review of records has determined that there are approximately 29 warranty claims (BMW – 24, Toyota –5), and 4 field reports (BMW – 2, Toyota – 2), that may be related to this issue.
To me, this shows how 99% of us simply put our foot on the brake and press the start button. Not rocket science. Someone please spare me from going back through all these posts. Will this revert all my coding to factory default? I don’t care about locked or unlocked ecu since I have no intention of tuning. I also don’t mind getting the recall done even if it’s not truly needed as long as I don’t start getting happy fingers with my start button. Just want to prepare myself for new coding if applicable.
Sponsored