Recommended (emergency) tire sealant?

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I've read mixed reviews on Fix-A-Flat and Slime products. Most of our vehicles, depending on what country you live, come with the tire repair kit which includes an air compressor and sealant. Toyota states that the TPMS sensor must be replaced after use of the sealant. However, Fix-A-Flat cans state that they're safe to use with TPMS sensors. Any recommendations on a temporary sealant for roadside emergencies that DOESN'T destroy the TPMS sensor?

Also, I've read that most tire sealants create a nasty sticky mess on wheels which are difficult to clean up and are considered harmful to most aftermarket wheels as well. Is there anything out there (besides a spare: https://modernspare.com/product/2019-2024-toyota-supra-spare-tire-kit-options) that would fix a flat in a pinch without damaging wheels or sensors?
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I would suggest getting one of the many plug kits instead of using a sealant. There are a bunch to choose from. I used one to plug a rear tire that got a screw in it. That was back in September and I haven’t had a single issue with it. Was going to link the one I got but it’s unavailable.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Not a fan of squirting nasty stuff in the tires of a car that has sensors. My DD just got a screw in the tire last week. They are "self sealing" tires and are supposed to seal themselves. Normally they do but this time they didn't. This is the plug kit I normally use and it works great, plus you don't have to pull the tire off.

https://www.autozone.com/tire-repai...ugger-kit/486791_0_0?searchText=tire plug kit

OP
OP
BA9092

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I agree with the plug kits. I was wondering if there was a "quicker" alternative for a worst case scenario - cold, dark, rainy, need-to-get-moving-quickly type situation.

luv2xlr8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I can tell you that after running over a screw in the middle of nowhere California, the flat repair kit that comes with the car does work... barely. I used the compressor to re-inflate and pumped the stop leak fluid into the tire and it worked well enough to make it back to civilization (35 miles) where the leak held overnight and I was able to take the car to a dealer and have it repaired. Couldn't thank the guys at Future Toyota of Yuba City enough. Now, I did stop twice in the 35 miles to pump the tire up again to max as the leak was quite bad, but without the kit I would have been relying on a tow. At the dealer the tech removed the tire, wiped it out, patched it, and I was back on the road. No TPMS sensor replacement required and a year later no issues with the tire or the sensor. New tires coming this season!